Black History Culture : Ancient Egypt's Role in European History By Dr Kwame Nantambu

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by skuderjaymes, Jan 1, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043

Posted: June 15, 2001

When Wellesley College, Boston, Mass, U.S.A., Professor, Mary Lefkowitz published in her book, Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History, (1996), she received tremendous accolades and widespread newsprint from mainstream America. The notion that was bandied about was that finally a renowned experienced Eurocentric scholar has quieted the proponents of Afrocentrism; Dr. Mary Lefkowitz has destroyed the Afrocentrists' claim to the multifaceted originality of ancient Kemet (Egypt) and its impact on Greece and Rome. However, a much deeper, closer and sober look and analysis of this hysteria reveals a different historical reality.

The salient reality is that no one can deny the historical truism that the Greeks (the world's first Europeans) went to ancient Kemet to study at the Temple of Waset (later called Thebes by the Greeks and Luxor by the Arabs).

In his magnum opus, A Lost Tradition: African Philosophy in World History, (1995) Dr. Theophile Obenga quotes Aristotle ranking Egypt as "the most ancient archeological reserve in the world" and "that is how the Egyptians, whom we (Greeks) considered as the most ancient of the human race" (p. 45).

According to Dr. Obenga: "the ancient Greeks traced all human inventions to the Egyptians, from Calculus, Geometry, Astronomy and Dice Games to Writing...Since the time of Homer, Egyptian antiquity functioned strictly as a highly memorialized component of Greek history. Herodotus said it, Plato confirmed it, and Aristotle never denied it." (p. 47). Indeed, in their book, A History of the Modern World (1984), R. R. Palmer and Joel Colton, corroborate this historical truism by contending that:

Europeans were by no means the pioneer of human civilization. Half of man's recorded history had passed before anyone in Europe could read or write. The priests of Egypt began to keep written records between 4000 and 3000 B.C., but more than two thousand years later, the poems of Homer were still being circulated in the Greek city-states by word of mouth. Shortly after 3000 B.C., while the pharaohs were building the first pyramids, Europeans were creating nothing more distinguished than huge garbage heaps.

Furthermore, Aristotle (384-322 B.C.) himself, writing in Metaphysics, not only refutes Dr. Lefkowitz's ahistorical and false assertions but also confesses in Greek Hellenic language that: "Thus the mathematical sciences first (proton) originated in Egypt." Egypt is "the cradle of mathematics-that is, the country of origin for Greek mathematics". So, according to Aristotle, "the mathematical arts had never before been formed, constituted or elaborated anywhere else originating in Egypt only" (Obenga, p. 47-48). Aristotle acknowledges the originality of the ancient Egyptians in his own words.

In addition, in Prologue to Prodlus's Commentaries on Euclid's Elements, a disciple of Aristotle named Eudemus, who lived in the forth century B.C., confirms: "we shall say, following the general tradition, that the Egyptians were the first to have invented Geometry, (that) Thales, the first Greek to have been in Egypt, brought this theory thereof to Greece" (Obenga, p. 48).

The fact of the matter is that the famous, well known Greeks (Europeans) whom we study and revere in school curricula today all studied at the feet of the ancient Egyptians–Afrikans in the Nile Valley, Kemet. For example, Plato studied at the Temple of Waset for 11 years; Aristotle was there for 11-13 years; Socrates 15 years Euclid stayed for 10-11 years; Pythegoras for 22 yeasrs; Hypocrates studies for 20 years; and the other Greeks who matriculated at Waset included Diodorus, Solon, Thales, Archimides, and Euripides. Indeed, the Greek, St. Clement of Alexanddria, once said that if you were to write a book of 1,000 pages, you would not be able to put down the names of all the Greeks who went to Kemet to be educated and even those who did not surreptitiously claim they went because it was prestigious. " Herodotus said it, Plato confirmed it and Aristotle never denied it".

The fact of the matter is that it took 40 years to graduate/matriculate from Waset; this then means that none of the Greeks graduated.

Dr. Obenga points out this significant Kemet-Greece linkage:

I Thales (624-547 B.C.) was the first (protos) Greek student to receive his training from Egyptian priests in the Nile Valley.

II Plato (428-347 B.C.) records that Thales was educated in Egypt under the priests.

III Proclus (Neoplationist, 420-485 A.D.) Reports that Thales introduced science, philosophy and mathematics/geometry to Greece.

IV Greek intellectual life started with the Egyptian-trained student, Thales. He was the founder of the first Greek school of philosophy and science.

V Thales strongly recommended that Pythagoras travel to Egypt to receive his basic education and to converse as often as possible with the priests of Memphis and Thekes.

VI In the fall of 332 B.C. when Alexander invaded Egypt, Aristotle accompanied him

VII Aristotle ranked the country of the Pharaohs (Egypt) the most ancient archaeological reserve in the world. He wrote "That is how the Egyptians whom we considered as the most ancient of the human race". (Obenga, pp. 28-45).

The Temple of Waset, the world's first university, and known as "the septer" was built during the reign of Amenhotep III in the XVIII Dynasty, ca 1391 B.C. At its zenith, it educated 80,000 students.

Many people today believe that the words "man know thyself" (in Greek, qnothi seauton) were originally written and spoken by the Greek philosopher, Socrates. The ancient Egyptians wrote these words on the outside of their Temples in the Nile Valley and addressed these words to the neophytes - one of whom was the student Socrates himself. In a companion scenario, the originality of the words "eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we shall die," has been assigned to the Greek philosopher Socrates, whereas history proves that the inventor who coined these words is Imhotep, the Afrikan deity and "the world's first recorded multi-genius." He built the world's first stone building–the Step pyramid at Saqqara circa 2630 B.C.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The ancient grading system lasted for 8 years and this was the number based on the four pairs of the Ennead. It took five cycles to complete the 40 year cycle. The typical Masonic 33 degrees means the Greeks and other outsiders could reach at most the level of Raaba (32-39 years). It is possible some may have completed the 5th Cycle but none of the Greek philosophers we know of today. Using the later Gregorian calendar, Yeshus only reached his age between 29-33 according to most accounts.

This was also true of the Hebrews which is why they refer to their Temple Elder by the name or title of Rabbi. They were at the most equivalent to fourth graders. This helps to explain the interpretation of the Mayan Prophecy and the end of the present Fifth Cycle. It is symbolic of those who will return and those who are Elders who will bring the 'remnant' into infinite knowledge and wisdom.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Furthermore, and I don't want to be accused of bashing anybodies belief....but, with the way that the so called Bible was put together, they intended to destroy ancient Kemet in character and history. There is nothing positive or constructive in that book concerning Kemet. So inside of our belief, for those who follow the book, the legacy and true value of Kemet was totally destroyed. Also, I find it strange that there's no mention of the greatest architectural structure to have ever been built in the past inside of the Bible either. The Pyramids!! Imagine how magnificent it must have looked before the limestone was removed!!....and yet not one word exist of them in that book...even though all the so called prophets found a way to go to Kemet according to that book.

Our present so called civilized reality today would not even exist as it does without Kemet...and yet no mention of Kemet is made except as a character assassination of the land and the people. But, nobody finds this to be strange at all when it comes to their beliefs. We got to wake up, cause all this cognitive dissonance is killing us!

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Tell me about it! A woman was singing "Pharaoh let my people go!" and I nearly through a fit. No one invited those Asians into Africa.

5. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Thanks for this. A great post! 80,000 students means a lot for Africa.

More and more I think of Kemet as a University town.

I do not understand whether Kemet was the first to 'write' or if it's just which civilization has the most accounted for writings.

It appears that the Kemet moved from writing pictures to writing letters. But I'm not sure if this is fact or historical revisionism. For instance, did the Twa and Hutu, ancestors of Kemet, not write?

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I am going to point something out here for you all to think about. The system that I mentioned in my previous post was a SECULAR system based on peerage. We often make the mistake of confusing the various ancient SECULAR systems, with SPIRITUAL or as the Greeks referred "Mystery Systems".

The fact is that even after they conquered 'Egypt' whatever they learned at the Temples which they understudied, were still part of a SECULAR system, but without the social structures from which they were based.

Therefore, even if they did study for a 40 year period, there was no secular social structure for them to graduate to because the indigenous systems were a caste structure with the intent of preparing for leadership the ruling class of peers who would succeed each previous ruling class at eight-year intervals.

It is from this indigenous Afican system that the Greeks formulated the concept of Democracy. The following will give you a good idea where I am coming from.

http://www.gubirmans.com/Oromo and Greek based Democracies.html

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

As far as I have found, the Twa and related Nilo-Saharan groups transmitted their Cultural Heritage orally rather than through written account.

8. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Thanks for the etymology of "Rabbi."

9. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    That's something to me! It seems that these groups drew pictures--as depicted by rock paintings--but it doesn't seem like they wrote. I can not tell. But it's interesting that Kemet would write first.

Nothing happens accidentally, so I at one point read a White man who insisted that no "Sub-Saharan African" [I understand that you don't like that word, but I'm quoting the villain] developed a writing script (prior to the modern age.) The White person took "Sub-Saharan" literally so as to acknowledge Meroe had a script but dismiss Meroe as "Saharan" rather than "Sub-Saharan." It was telling to me. Could this be right?

My gut feeling is that it is and I am proud of as much. For one, "writing" has no spirit too it. For another, "reading" is not communal. Lastly, "speaking" and "singing" are farther reaching.

I feel that our ancestors chose not to write and for good reason. Some scholars, have opined that the Adinkra could have been used to 'write.' Much like early Meru Neter were symbols. That's possible, but I think that it was never preferred. "Writing" is individualistic like the European and Asian are individualistic.

Though I would like to know. Did we really not write? What we once did is important to me.

And of course this brings up Kemet. The window to Asia. Did an early Asian influence, influence a literal interest? That's something that puzzles me. Too bad that there are not enough hours in a day (and that no Africans pay us to study yet).

Hotep

Edit: I also suspect that our West African literature was destroyed by Arabs then Europeans.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

If you notice, the terminology that I used in reference to the Twa was Nilo-Saharan. This means that some of the Twa were of Nilotic origin. This would be those who were pastoralists and farmers. Obviously the larger segment of the Twa who were nomadic or hunter gatherers were not part of the social structures in the regions which developed writing because it had no social utility. The lower Nilotic societies where writing developed were in contact with the Sumerians and others who developed and utilized writing for record keeping and codifying law.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. r.r. palmer quote europe heap Egypt