Africa : Ancient African Nation and the Black Diaspora

Anything related to Ali Farke Toure's take on the african/african american connection? FYI...
No. I'm not hip to his take as far as any statements or interviews are concerned. As far as his music is concerned, here is a taste. Great musician from Mali!

Oral history traces back my african roots to Old Benin (now a part of Nigeria)...

My great grand uncle and great granddad were kidnapped (eight and six at the time) either on their way to or on the return from their first (and only) haij:

They wound up being bought (as slaves) in Texas...

They wound up on a white slaveholder's planataion in Mississippi...

Long story, short answer:

The part of my extended family (in Detroit) wound up there after a land deal gone sour...

They have to fled for them lives and safety (since the federal land agent backed down and no guess why)...

The Flukers (my maternal grandmas relations have been in Detroit since the 1920's...

And my granddad--James-- was the youngest of Napolean Andrews nine children...

My mother was one of his daughters...

Even up north some of us know our roots too...

(Smile)...

There has also been an criticism raised (via one poster) that the rest of us only associate the rise of african civilization with North Africans aka the lands of the Black Pharoahs:

Considering the legacy of the Dogon etc. perhaps such folk got it backwards, i. e., civilization moved from south to north of the Great Sahara?

Just a personal thought!

FYI...

I am trying to use music and dance in this HISTORY and CULTURE thread to make clear connections between Black/African/Asiatic people in Africa and the Diaspora [ie Black World]. I really have no energy to debate and/or argue points others have made. For the most part, I am done with that.

I think that sometimes we get terminology confused and that is to be expected when our primary mediums of expression are Eurocentric language systems. I get this as a writer. Therefore, my point is that linguisticly speaking there is a difference between what is classified as Civilization and what is known as High Culture.

Ancient Kemet, which is considered to be one of Africa's earliest KNOWN civilizations developed directly out of the Naqada culture which was based around what we presently refer to as the Sudan/Nubia. However, the earliest fossil remains go farther South, near the source of the Nile River, below the first cataract. I will deal with that archaeological evidence later.

Peace...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back