Black People : Ancestry-Nationality or Nationality-Ancestry

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by anAfrican, Jul 29, 2005.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Putting the ancestry "first", with our nationality as a foundation, or acknowledging the foundation given by our ancestry?

"Afrimerican/African American" has, at it's base, the concept "American" suggesting a specific "flavor" of "American". This is all well and good for "Americans", but what about the rest of our African Family?

As it stands, this "new" division of Africa has us as African American/Afrimerican, African British, African Brazilian, African Columbian: still dividing Africa. I just feel it would be better if we would look at it as different "flavors" of Africans - British Africans, Carribean Africans, American Africans, etc.

What do y'all think?

===============================================================
    While I've always felt this, after reading Brother Aqil's sharing of Owen Malik Shahadah's "LANGUAGE: TOOLS OF SELF-DETERMINATION FOR A NEW AFRICAN REALITY..." in the Pan-Africanism forum and Brother Afrimerican's thoughts in "WHAT THEY PRACTICE ON US!" in the Open Forum, I'm prompted to seek discussion on this specific aspect of this question of identity. It's not that I'm looking to "dismiss" any of the points presented by any of the contributors to either of those threads (or others along the same vein), but that I think that this might be a "narrowing" of the thoughts behind where I am trying to get to with this whole idea.

Frankly, I've been sitting here for about half an hour or more trying to figure out just where this sort of discussion might best fit: There is a touch of "Honoring Our Ancestors" (or "ancestry", I suppose), "Pan-Africanism" and "Reclaiming Our Stolen Culture". However, the Open Forum is for stuff that doesn't quite fit as well as the thought that it might get more exposure?

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I am really feeling this idea. It takes the "American" aspect out of focus, and gives the emphasis on the African Essence, as it relates to our people around the globe, regardless of where they may reside.

Let's make it happen!!

PEACE

3. AFRIMERICAN

AFRIMERICAN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    You Got It

I'm sorry, I meant to respond to an earlier post, per, the immigrant part of the Afrimerican definition you questioned.
    Immigrant, migrant, migrate, all are terms that designate movement from one place to another, usually involving people, Immigrant refers to a coming (to), migrant or migrate refer to a going (to), I used immigrant because it's the basic root cause of how Africans came to be here, or most anywhere, as with other natonalities of people that departed the nation of their birth, and be it forced, or voluntary, it still applies. Per your other question of which one of their dictionaries is it in, none, Websters, Oxford, Random, they won't touch it. Why? Because, Like you point out, there is already a set, established, recognized, fed, and fed off of system of seperation in/with AfricanAfricans, African-British, African-German, etc, etc,..., and the institutionalized negative racism, and the terms/words presently used, and how, and academically defined, that presently exist in dictionaries are defined to keep the institution going, and feeding the negative, while the legal definitions are ambiguous, and buried under layer upon layer of confusing, and misdirecting info, one gets tired of looking, and when found , the legal definition is worded in such a way as to have a dual meaning, and one can't really ascertain which meaning takes precedent, because the precedent definition is in caselaws, and legal caselaw history that is being taken out of books available to the public, but still very much used and accessible by those who are part of the perpetuation of the lies and deception, to use at will. Afrimerican being new, being fresh, being positive, addresses all that, and on it's own merits, creates a new foundation that forces the old one to be abolished. The thing I see is, in America, the system gives the race terms of description, and then they change it every 10 to 15 years, thus creating an identity crisis, and an inner race debate that is false, and totally manufactured to distract from more pertinent issues, and it not only causes an aura of seperation among the elders of the race, it causes a definite seperation, and and a false sense of self among the youth of the race, as being different from the elders of the race, with neither seeing it's all the same lie, being repeated over and over, and each gropu is reacting to what they see they don't have, and settling on what's given that seems to be in their best interest of establishing a differnce from , but it's all B.S.
    what do we do here, we debate a moot point, because it's been debated to death, but no one offers a solution, I have, now it's a matter of getting Afrimerican people to get out of the lies they see and react to as truth.
    The solution is, on a nation by nation basis, Afric/Negroid people need to establish an identity that is national per the land of where they are born, and combine it with a ancestrial conatation to denote, basically an evolution of what seems to be a new duality, but it's a triallity, of the ancestry, the nationality, and of sovereignity;(thus eliminating the degree of forced and volunteered sub serviency Negroid people worldwide are engaged)
    With Afrimerican, in America, one could say we've evolved into a new pople, a new tribe, and since America is looked at, and to, and as a social leader, and leadership examples all the world follows or adopts some part of , Afrimericans are in a unique position to break a pattern of divide and conquer, and unite as what could be considered a new tribe, and when done on a national level, we would have a sovereignty as is given the American Indians, then worldwide, we will be a beginning and example for African descendants born in other countries to establish and do same, and on, and on,... the point is, we have to do something different, end the debates, and make a new start that is free of the negatives, and negative influences and stereotypes of the past, which are dead but keeps getting resurrected.

4. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    Our day will come!

Hotep

We are in a "War", an out right full fleged battle between Good and Evil, G-d and the Devil,........Think about that.
    We were alone in the so-called Garden of Eden or KMT until we were Invaded by what else can any one call it??? answer: A Doer of Evil or Devil for short.
    We have forgotten our Ancestors unrelenting struggle againts this foe who they knew was a Devil incarnate. Only now, we have forgotten and are deceived by them, so, they are the Doers of Evil, then who are (We) you??? What is our True name??? And it is not Afrikan! We only use that name someone else gave to us because we forgot our Real names!! We are Spiritual and have been sents the Beginning of Creation and before that. We are Energy and our Bodies are Energy "Slowed-Down". We are not Afrikans in Reality but right now we use that Name, but tomarrow we will be called by our Real Names as soon as we figure that out. "People know Thy Self ". So today the entire "Earth" is our home, not just part of it, All of it. The Ancestors are from the Earth, and we are too.

Ase`