African Traditional Religion : Ancestors and the Orun

river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
We are told that there three groups of people: those who have passed through this physical existence, those who are presently in this physical existaance and those who have yet to be born.

It is said those who have passed through and are now called ancestors never cease to exist as long as someone living remembers their name.

When we keep someone bound to the Earth by invoking their name does this keep them from entering the Orun?

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun still keep contact with or watch over those who are still physical?

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun ever come back as one who has yet to be born?

We are told that there three groups of people: those who have passed through this physical existence, those who are presently in this physical existaance and those who have yet to be born.

It is said those who have passed through and are now called ancestors never cease to exist as long as someone living remembers their name.

Ancestors exist in the spirit realm regardless of if their names are called.

When we keep someone bound to the Earth by invoking their name does this keep them from entering the Orun?

In the Yoruba tradition, invoking an ancestors name dose not bound them to the earth.

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun still keep contact with or watch over those who are still physical?

Yes

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun ever come back as one who has yet to be born?

Yes These children are usually recognized by names given to them during their naming ceremony e.g babatunde...father has come back again.

Yes These children are usually recognized by names given to them during their naming ceremony e.g babatunde...father has come back again.

I agree, for instance, my maternal grandma's name was Nnenna. Meaning basically father's mother. That the female child with that name is believed to be a reincarnation of her paternal grandmother.

My dad attests to the belief in reincarnation in our culture. He told me he witnessed many things in Nigeria that confirmed for him that ancestors can return.