African Traditional Religion : Ancestors and the Orun

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by river, Jun 9, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We are told that there three groups of people: those who have passed through this physical existence, those who are presently in this physical existaance and those who have yet to be born.

It is said those who have passed through and are now called ancestors never cease to exist as long as someone living remembers their name.

When we keep someone bound to the Earth by invoking their name does this keep them from entering the Orun?

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun still keep contact with or watch over those who are still physical?

Does an ancestor who has entered the Orun ever come back as one who has yet to be born?

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Yes These children are usually recognized by names given to them during their naming ceremony e.g babatunde...father has come back again.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hmm the mufti quote doesn't work for me. But anyway thanks, sista. this is all good news.

4. Ezinne

Ezinne Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer, filmmaker
    Ratings:
    +314
    I agree, for instance, my maternal grandma's name was Nnenna. Meaning basically father's mother. That the female child with that name is believed to be a reincarnation of her paternal grandmother.

My dad attests to the belief in reincarnation in our culture. He told me he witnessed many things in Nigeria that confirmed for him that ancestors can return.