Ancestor Worship

Spicy

:eek: Where did you just "pop up" from?

I can respect your input. Do you think our ancestors were actually worshipped, or was that an exaggeration by the Western perception.? Where do YOU draw the line between honoring and worshipping?
No....'twas no exaggeration, some people actually "worshipped" their ancestors.

Look at the title of your thread....you even considered it!

Biographies, writting stories, building monuments, naming bridges and mountains, and even building institutes in the name and memory of our ancestors is totally acceptable.

This is HONORING our ancestors.

But when you actually bring food, and gifts to their grave and bend down bowing to them, or pray to them as gods asking for favors and blessings or even make sacrifices to them....this is WORSHIPPING them.

I'm not gonna say it's right or wrong, but we have to be careful who we worship.

Dual Karnayn...

Dual Karnayn said:
Spicy

:eek: Where did you just "pop up" from?

No....'twas no exaggeration, some people actually "worshipped" their ancestors.

Look at the title of your thread....you even considered it!

Biographies, writting stories, building monuments, naming bridges and mountains, and even building institutes in the name and memory of our ancestors is totally acceptable.

This is HONORING our ancestors.

But when you actually bring food, and gifts to their grave and bend down bowing to them, or pray to them as gods asking for favors and blessings or even make sacrifices to them....this is WORSHIPPING them.

I'm not gonna say it's right or wrong, but we have to be careful who we worship.

Naa, been here for a few hours. As we know buildings, monuments, and script can be altered. If we pass traditiond orally to each generation, there should be no problems. Is not the bringing of food and gifts the same as the mummified ancient Egyptian "Gods" had gifts, and heirlooms placed beside their graves? I titled this thread as such because this is how we commonly refer to it. :look:

Spicy

Naa, been here for a few hours. As we know buildings, monuments, and script can be altered. If we pass traditiond orally to each generation, there should be no problems. Is not the bringing of food and gifts the same as the mummified ancient Egyptian "Gods" had gifts, and heirlooms placed beside their graves? I titled this thread as such because this is how we commonly refer to it.
Yes, because the ancient Eyptians actually worshipped many of their ancestors and kings.

Infact, around the world most kings were worshipped not only in death but during life.
They were even seen as gods or part god in some cultures.

In the Middle East some people were so devoted to thier leaders that as the leaders came by and deficated throwing it out on the side of the road.......
Some of thier loyal subjects would immediately grab a greasy turd and gobble it down hoping for some of that "royalty" and blessing to rub off on them.

spicybrown said:
Naa, been here for a few hours. As we know buildings, monuments, and script can be altered. If we pass traditiond orally to each generation, there should be no problems. Is not the bringing of food and gifts the same as the mummified ancient Egyptian "Gods" had gifts, and heirlooms placed beside their graves? I titled this thread as such because this is how we commonly refer to it. :look:

Excellent analogy.

In traditional african religions, we worship the Supreme Being. There are people outside of Traditional African Religions who insist on calling ancestor veneration worship, but as brotha of mine says, who cares, as long it works, and it certainly does!

Your Egungun (ancestors) are the protectors of your family and morality. They can come down to help or create adversity, and they are a collection of spirits. Your ancestors can be invoked collectively or individually for help. The "place of call" can be done in one of three places: their graves, the family shrine or the community grove.

Egungun are provided with what is called Adimu or ebo, which are two basic forms of sacrifice, and there are levels even beyond this. Sacrificing to the Ancestors enables us to indulge in our blessings and provides the energy associated with the meals and their preparation to our ancestors. This is a symbiotic relationship, predicated on the act of thanksgiving and fuel for future action.

One thing you must understand when making offerings, it that you are giving them what they want, not what you think they should have, or what you feel like preparing. The best way to do this is to find out what kinds of foods and drink they liked while they were in the physical body.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back