Honoring Black Ancestors : Ancestor Gil Nobels...The Greatest Afrakan Documentarist in America

Keita Kenyatta

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Like It Is is a public affairs television program focusing on issues relevant to the African-American community, produced and aired on WABC-TV in New York City between 1968 and 2011.[2] It is one of the longest-running, locally-produced programs of its kind in television history. In spite of being aired only in the New York area, Like It Is achieved wide acclaim nationally based on the renown of its topics and interview subjects.
Like It Is was originally co-hosted by actor Robert Hooks and WABC-TV news reporter Gil Noble. Noble eventually became sole host, and produced the series after 1975.

Within the backdrop of the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, the program was created by WABC-TV to fill a void in black-oriented programming. In its earlier days Like It Is focused primarily on black celebrities; later it would focus entirely on politically-related matters after Noble became sole host and producer.[3] As host and interviewer Noble exercised a low-key style, often subtly playing devil's advocate in an effort to get the most out of his guests. For a time Like It Is was also co-hosted by Melba Tolliver.[4] The program has won seven New York-area Emmy Awards.[5]
Along with discussions on current events, Like It Is has featured full-length interviews with many prominent African, African-American and Afro-Caribbean political and cultural figures of the 20th Century during the course of its run. This list includes, but is not limited to:
Other episodes have featured Noble presenting archival material on figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. DuBois, Malcolm X, Paul Robeson, Fannie Lou Hamer, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, and many others. Special episodes were also devoted to single topics, such as the Civil Rights movement, the Harlem Renaissance, and the effects of drug use, particularly that of heroin, in the Black community.

Like It Is with Gil Noble (Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke) Part 1

peace

"Like it is" was one of my first teachers and i actually met him years ago at Afrikan family day up in westchester counter. He was the guest speaker back in about '95 and he was building on the BLACK STATUE OF LIBERTY WITH BROKEN CHAINS IN HER HAND AND AT HER FEET that France sent over and America sent it back. i was a vendor that day and had a booth where i selling clothes and when i heard that i just walked away from my booth to get closer to the stage area where he was speaking so i could here what else brother gil had to say.......

The show that they put on to take the place of "like it is" is disgrace, so i've heard. i, myself have not seen because i know there is no show that could take his place.

Peace to the god, may the universe be well pleased with you. :bowdown:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back