Black Ancestors : Ancestor Gil Nobels...The Greatest Afrakan Documentarist in America

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Like It Is is a public affairs television program focusing on issues relevant to the African-American community, produced and aired on WABC-TV in New York City between 1968 and 2011.[2] It is one of the longest-running, locally-produced programs of its kind in television history. In spite of being aired only in the New York area, Like It Is achieved wide acclaim nationally based on the renown of its topics and interview subjects.
Like It Is was originally co-hosted by actor Robert Hooks and WABC-TV news reporter Gil Noble. Noble eventually became sole host, and produced the series after 1975.

Within the backdrop of the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, the program was created by WABC-TV to fill a void in black-oriented programming. In its earlier days Like It Is focused primarily on black celebrities; later it would focus entirely on politically-related matters after Noble became sole host and producer.[3] As host and interviewer Noble exercised a low-key style, often subtly playing devil's advocate in an effort to get the most out of his guests. For a time Like It Is was also co-hosted by Melba Tolliver.[4] The program has won seven New York-area Emmy Awards.[5]
Along with discussions on current events, Like It Is has featured full-length interviews with many prominent African, African-American and Afro-Caribbean political and cultural figures of the 20th Century during the course of its run. This list includes, but is not limited to:
Other episodes have featured Noble presenting archival material on figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr., W.E.B. DuBois, Malcolm X, Paul Robeson, Fannie Lou Hamer, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, and many others. Special episodes were also devoted to single topics, such as the Civil Rights movement, the Harlem Renaissance, and the effects of drug use, particularly that of heroin, in the Black community.

Like It Is with Gil Noble (Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke) Part 1

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Thank You Brother Keita ... :bowdown:

:heart:

Destee

info-moetry

STAFF
STAFF
Dec 20, 2004
The rotten Apple
Occupation
A+ technician
peace

"Like it is" was one of my first teachers and i actually met him years ago at Afrikan family day up in westchester counter. He was the guest speaker back in about '95 and he was building on the BLACK STATUE OF LIBERTY WITH BROKEN CHAINS IN HER HAND AND AT HER FEET that France sent over and America sent it back. i was a vendor that day and had a booth where i selling clothes and when i heard that i just walked away from my booth to get closer to the stage area where he was speaking so i could here what else brother gil had to say.......

The show that they put on to take the place of "like it is" is disgrace, so i've heard. i, myself have not seen because i know there is no show that could take his place.

Peace to the god, may the universe be well pleased with you. :bowdown:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Ava DuVernay Pays Tribute To Michelle Obama's Slave Ancestor Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr South Africa : South Africa's new human ancestor sparks race row South Africa 0
RAPTOR Black People : Affleck demanded PBS program hide his slave-owning ancestor Black People Open Forum 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Meet Your Mama: First Ancestor of All Placental Mammals Revealed Science and Technology 2
Destee Black Ancestors : Who Became an Ancestor in 2012 ? Honoring Black Ancestors 25
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Distant Human Ancestor Had Shark Head Science and Technology 317
Destee Black Ancestors : Whitney Houston - an Ancestor at age 48 Honoring Black Ancestors 56
noor100 Black Muslims : Geneticist discovers that ancestor of all humans was a black man Islam Study Group 8
Destee The Front Porch : Birthday Game - Honor an Ancestor - Be a Birthday Winner! The Front Porch 12
Destee Black People : You are the Elder and the Ancestor Black People Open Forum 3
Amnat77 Black Spirituality Religion : Jewish Encyclopedia: Ancestor Worship Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 3
$$RICH$$ Black Ancestors : OLDEST LIVING BLACK IN THE WORLD became our Ancestor ! Honoring Black Ancestors 6
3 Questions regarding the Pan-African, Black History, Ancestor, Positive efforts forums Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : The Mother of our Sister truetothecause is now an Ancestor Black People Open Forum 30
G Black Events : An Invitation to support the Ancestor Ascension Ceremony and Committee Black Events 0
G Black People : ASA HILLIARD AN ANCESTOR Black People Open Forum 0
S Afrikan says ancestor reveals aids cure in dream Black Health and Wellness 1
queentswana Black Poetry : Remembering our "ANCESTOR'S" Night Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
river Special Black History Month Ancestor Series - Don't Miss Honoring Black Ancestors 5
OmowaleX Black Spirituality Religion : Ancestor "Worship" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Destee Black Ancestors : Billie Holiday Videos - Our Beloved Ancestor Honoring Black Ancestors 6
river Black Spirituality Religion : Constructing an Ancestor Shrine Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 26
KWABENA Ethiopia : Ancestor Skull Found in Ethiopia Ethiopia 2
A Black Poetry : Walking Ancestor Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
S Ancestor Worship Honoring Black Ancestors 14
R Black Spirituality Religion : Ancestor Worship Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 52
Destee Johnny Cochran Becomes an Ancestor Honoring Black Ancestors 24
I Black Spirituality Religion : Who Can be an Ancestor? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
L Black Spirituality Religion : ancestor altars Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
chuck African American History Culture : Do Let Us Also Peep The Knowledge Gil Scott Heron Shared With Us Too! African American History Culture 1
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : GIL HILL DIES Black Entertainment 5
Liberty African American History Culture : Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan on Gil Noble African American History Culture 0
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Gil Scott-Heron - Explanations Black Entertainment 0
1poetsought Black People : Gil Scott Heron Black People Open Forum 2
shaka64 Audio Video Web Conferencing : Gil Scott Heron "Winter In America" (1974) HIGH QUALITY Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
CosmicMessenger Audio Video Web Conferencing : Gil Scott-Heron - Lady Day and John Coltrane Audio Video Web Conferencing 6
thePreacher Black People Politics : Gil Scot-Heron on Reagan Black People Politics 1
RAPTOR Ghana : Gil Noble - Like It Is: Interview Clarke, Smalls and Mary Hoover on their trip to Ghana Ghana 1
cherryblossom Black Ancestors : Gil Noble: 1932-2012 Honoring Black Ancestors 9
S Black People : Gil Noble interview with Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People : Gil Noble interview with Bob Marley Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People : Gil Noble on Conversations with Harold Hudson Channer (59 mins) Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Gil Noble interview with Kwame Ture Black People Open Forum 1
RAPTOR Audio Video Web Conferencing : Gil-Scott Heron: HIS-STORY Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Like It Is with Gil Noble (Dr. Ivan Van Sertima, Dr. Ben & Dr. John Henrik Clarke) Part 1 Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Gil Scott Heron, Winter In America Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
RAPTOR Black People : The Violence Initiative : Gil Noble - "Like it Is" Interviews Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Gil Scott Heron; Winter in America Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Ankhur Black People : Gil Noble Still Working For our Black Legacy While recoveing from Stoke Black People Open Forum 0
Ankhur Black People : Gil Noble afflicted with Stroke, Please send Prayers andPositive energy to him and family Black People Open Forum 2