Black Poetry : ....An unfinished woman

mkhaya lo'

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 1, 2001
Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Occupation
Journalist
I lie here
on my back.
sweating,
smelling.
Niether woman...niether girl.
stuck.
tears roll down the side of myeyes...stupid!...stupid!...stupid me!

forever has begun, my sad story has just found its beginning.
I'm cold.
I'm freezing.
the window is open, the thin curtain is blowing inside out, the cold wind dries me.
I here the cars outside, hooting and angry driver indulging in road rage...to them I'm just a dimmly lit window...the silence fools them into ignorance.

I have no energy to scream..I don't want to scream...I want a reason. A reason to myself, a reason to stand 20 years from today.

I am unfinished woman..with no reason and no cause...my next step is inside my mind. To move on and far and away and from and here..to be free from
questions with no answers, from judgements with no justice, from stares with no mercy.

I am an unfinished woman...

This! Is the most intense poem I've read in a minute. You capture the frustations and emptiness of a lot of women I have been meeting lately- without doubt this is a serious issue and I have advocated and will keep advocating that one solution is making it legal for a man to have more than one wife. This sounds crass until you do the math and realize that even if you paired one man to one woman you'd still be left with a huge surplus of 'unfinished woman'. Beautifully written!

JAH Lives.

Words well thought off....YeshuJah! How much do you know about the issue of polygamy?
Here in Africa, and in South Africa indeed, its normal practice in some more traditional rural tribes to still have a man with more than one wife. I know people who have brothers and sisters from different mothers and the same father. THe issue is as much ego boosting as it is problematic. Esapcially when the man dies. There's the issue of the chief wife, her children and then the next wife and her children...and so on...But as a matter of interest, there's a Royal tribe here in South Africa. A woman is one of the prominent leaders in that tribe. She's called Queen Modjaji the "rain queen" she supposedly has power to control rain. I don't believe it. Many call me too westernised for the lack of that belief.

Anyway, the Rain Queen marries other women, but she doesn't come together with them. They actually become the 'wives' of the man chosen to be her husband. she marries other women on behalf of her husband. they procreate, keep the home fires burning and do other 'wivey' things. And the Queen, well, she's free to do what ever she wants to do, she has no obligations to the man! And this is normal customary practise. Of course its not recognised by the law but most traditional practises are not recognised by the law. Its interesting to say the least.

lo'

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back