Pan Africanism : An Irish Education?????

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Peril, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Peril

Peril Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to share a letter I wrote and am distributing to several websites. This is however the first site that I am posting the letter on. I hope people take the time to read the letter and continue to think about and reflect upon the positions of those of African descent all over the world. Thanks, Peril

Dear Reader,

It seems as though denial and willful ignorance is alive and well throughout the world, and no doubt being fostered. In a suburb of Dublin, Ireland, many Irish children were told that they would not be able to attend school in their area due to their registrations which were documented after the February deadline. Some children however, were allowed to turn in their registration after the February deadline and were still admitted to school. As a solution the government decided to create a new school for the children. At this point it should not surprise you to learn that the children who were not able to go to the existing schools in their area are black.
    Segregation. It is an ugly word, yet it is being demonstrated and enforced all throughout the world. The inability of the Irish government to believe that they are committing such an act is appalling and quite frankly frightening. The new school will be created this year specifically for the children left out of the existing schools and will contain students from the ages of 4-12. The school will contain only black students. The government plans to integrate the new school as soon as possible with white Irish children. If this is not a horrible example of blatant segregation of black Irish children from white Irish children, what is it? If the Education minister cares to notice, integration of a school, which is notoriously difficult, would not be necessary if one did not segregate races from each other in the first place. Integration while a lofty goal will probably not occur within the school anytime soon. Who will send their child to a school which is new and barely tested when they may send their white children to a fully formed, and highly tested educational environment? The only method in which to ensure integration is to demand white children to attend the now all black school. This would possibly involve rezoning and many other governmental changes which might be complicated and time consuming. Of course, this will all occur as soon as possible.
    The Education Minister contends that the children were left out of the schools not because of racism, but rather because of poor planning and improper preparedness for population expansion on the part of the Education Board. While a plausible excuse in theory this simply does not correlate with the fact that white Irish children were allowed to register for school after the February deadline with impunity. This admission of unpreparedness with regards to population growth seem more like a criminal pleading to a lesser crime merely order to avoid the more important and aggravating crime. That crime being racist exclusion of innocent children based upon not only their race but also their religion.
    I will no longer passively accept the denigration and ostracism of black children, whatever country they may reside, and neither should you. I implore those of you who read this to mention this travesty in your blogs. To post messages demonstrating your rage at such an injustice perpetrated upon children. It is my hope that many single voices may merge into one, and that our roar of dissent may drown out lies and replace them with truth.

Sincerely,
    Peril

Shawn Pogatchnik. Black children left out of Irish schools. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070903..._students_1;_ylt=AjziQVObu66v6YZlVS18v48E1vAI. 2007/09/03

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :wave:Hello and Welcome Peril!:wave:

whilst I do understand your anger for the sick racist treatment of our Black Children, I also see this as an opportunity to teach our own in an environment exclusively for them. Will Black teacher only be responsible for the educating of the children? Will the they be able to teach them the history of our African Ancestors? You know, the stories that they never put in their history books? Will the grants distributed to the school be equal to that of the white Irish children?

Somehow I feel intergration of the schools was wrong in the first place. When I look at the profiling thats done in intergrated schools against our children, my heart is heavy. Why do we put our children through such anyway when we know they still won't be treated respectfully and fairly. I'm very ignorant about the systems of Ireland, but I'm gonna take a guest and guest that the Black People there are stereo-typed as is pretty much all over the world.

Why not take this opportunity to have an all Black School and build a stronger educational foundation for the children with people who look like them? People who know more about the learning process for them? Who know we are a hands on people who learns best when actively participating in the learning process, compared to just sitting and reading from books?

I don't know much about much Peril, but I know our children will still be carefully covered up targets of racial acts in an intergrated school. Perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture here, it's just a thought anyway.

I say take that lemon and make you a big ol' pitcher of African Eccentric Education.

What are your thoughts on that?

:heart:

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    why are black people in ireland any how???? screw those pink maggots go where blacks are.

i hate stories like this especially after my relative came from Afrika talking bout how much *** the Afrikans kiss when pinks are around, how they willing let christian crackkas in to thier land, then segregate in there own land. when will we learn??? keep the hinkkies away stay around brown and black folk...brown meaning lighter blacks not latinos!!!

4. Peril

Peril Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Reasons

There are a couple of reasons that I am opposed to the segregation shown in the article and segregation in general. The first being the clear fact that there are always people who are more prized in society, whether it be because they are rich, they are a preferred race, or they or the preferred religion. Those who are segregated from those who are more "prized" or desired do not get the same treatemnt and any segregated facility will not be respected simply because the people who are segregated are on the lower rungs of society.

As a black person in America this is obvious to me. Segregation does not mean assimilation in any way. Whether children are sent to mixed or segregated schools there will always be obstacles for children to overcome. True they may be different obstacles, but obstacles all the same. It is tempting to believe that everything would be better if everyone stuck to their own race, their own school, and their own neighborhoods. Whenever I think this however all I need ever do is go and speak to my mother who lived through Jim Crow as a child and an adult. Many people fought for de-segregation because they saw that it is easy for blacks to be pushed into a corner and ignored while segrgated. I do not believe that hiding is not the answer.

This is basically one of the other reasons that I do not believe in segregation. At some point in time people will simply have to get used to being around people of other races, religion, classes, and etc. The world is changing and expanding more than it ever has before. It is already so different than from when I was a child. Children are exposed to so many different people and ideas at a much younger age. While preparing for an eventuality we might as well start now.

Thanks so much for replying and i hope you will reply again! ~Peril

5. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Yes, I see where you are coming from. I thank our Ancestors for fighting so hard for us. They did what was best at that time. But here and now in the present, do you feel having our own schools would be a stepback for us knowing what we know today?

Everybody else can have their own schools and not be looked upon as segregated. I'm not saying we go to the extremes and prevent anyone
    non-Black from registering in our schools, but the over all instructions
    will cater to the needs of our children.

We don't know who we are anymore. Trying so hard to be like those who hate us most because of our lack of knowledge of self. Bytheway, which isn't taught in intergrated schools.

No, segregation doesn't mean assimilation, but intergretion has somehow caused us to assimilate. So much til, our children are fighting all the wrong battles. They/We can't tell who our enemies are or how they push a subconscious thought of inferiority on us through their education systems.

Yes, there will always be obstacles to overcome for us, but to some degree can't we pick and choose which obstacles would be the most detrimental to
    our growth?

6. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Peril

I agree with you that SEGREGATION is not GOOD. But the INTEGRATION approach is not GOOD either in OUR PRESENT SOCIETY without ADDRESSING PAST INJUSTICES that HAUNT the PRESENT.

They SAP the LIFE OUT of ANY RELATIONSHIP.

Check the BLACK WOMAN and WALL STREET thread.

7. Peril

Peril Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the integration system as it stands is not stellar. There exists a major lack of attention and accomodation to our children. However, I do not ever plan to see school systems delve in depth into the past injustices done to black people. Why would a race choose to willingly teach and expand upon their own past evils? They wouldn't. In the way in which Germany likes to pretend that the second world war did not happen, this is the way slavery, Jim Crow, and current racism are addressed in America. We(whites and blacks) would first have to agree that current racism does exist before anyone would be willing to really look at the past. I would like to think that everyone could agree with the previous statement but I have heard both black and white people present the argument that racism does not exist anymore towards black people. Putting in laws which demand the past be taught does not seem to be working. Many white people do not see that past injustices have anything to do with present problems and are more inclined to blame black people for their problems rather than attribute some blame upon a system which does its best to act against minorties and women. Something else would have to be put into place to address the past and black history month is not it. My problem with Black history month is that it gives license for everyone to forget about black people for the rest of the year, and it is definetely taken advantage of. However, until something better can be put into place it should not be abolished. Every month of the year should include everyone black, white, spanish, asian, and anyone else who lives in America.

In the case of integration today the system does need to be changed and I would love to hear ideas on how to change it. I do not think that just because the current system does not work that we ought to take a step back and allow segregation to become a normality. A poster above me has expressed the opinon that being segregated would help our children in the way that they would be catered to become more aware of their history and heritage. But what then? When they are finished with school they will eventually have to come into the real world where they are not catered to, and in fact are considered inferior members of society by many. Would not this generate excessive anger, confusion, and a sense of betrayal? That's all I have to say for now, I hope to see some replies! ~Peril

8. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hello Peril!:wave:

You make some very interesting points, But why do you associate the teaching of African History with ills and evils only? There are many great things about Africans which contributed to the risings of all other cultures. Things that are intentionally left out of european books and writings.

Of course in todays society, we wouldn't teach our children African History only. It would be primary but not restricted to us only. In order for our children to receive documentations here in this society, they will have to make the cut of what is already in place. The importance of knowing where we cmme from and how great we are, we need to know who we are and from
    which we came.

With the teaching of our past greatnesses, we will give birth to children who lacks an inferiority complex, because they will know they are more than just descendants of enslaved African people. They are decendants of great inventors, scientist, warriors, merchants, adventurer's, sailors, doctors of natural medicines, writers, protectors of the earth, artist, and the list goes on. They are descendants of the richest culture of people that ever exsisted. Not only intellectually but economically too. All the metals, minerals, golds, and diamonds that bring people wealth in the world mostly come from the land of their ancestors. Our ancestors feeds the world today. The world vibes off of the materials knowledge our Ancestors set in place. Certainly technology have improved over the years, but the core principle are the systems our Ancestors established. Not to mention the great inventors who ideas was stolen through deceit and brutality, helped to construct many, if not most of the great technologies we see today.

As far as socialization goes, schools built for their enlightenment wouldn't stop them from interacting with a world outside of school. School is but a building they go to learn. There will be life outside of those building too, but they will walk with the self-realization of how great and wonderful they are, not just the descendants of people who have been raped, brutilized, belittle, and beaten until shame came upon them. They will know why that has happen to their Ancestors. Why there are people in this world who missive is
    to claim all of which they came from. Leaving them with only a past of ills and evils. They already know who we are. We are the only ones who don't
    know, and thats something we need to change.

9. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Then RACE matters because this is BEYOND RACE. INJUSTICE is beyond RACE. We cant talk about FREEDOMS without IT. We cant talk about SPIRITUALITY without IT. We cant talk about LIFE without IT.

That is why that CURSE of DESTRUCTION is SUCKING the LIFE out of the NATION'S POPULATION. They apparently dont want to LIVE. That's FINE.

There's no time for the above. Each GROUP thinks they have the ANSWER to this SYSTEM but SOMEONE already FIGURED that OUT. That is to SETTLE for BLAMING EACH OTHER.

Each groups knows about RACISM, ever heard of REVERSE RACISM. That is proposed for a SOLUTION which is SILLY at BEST. Being COLORBLIND is another. DIVERSITY is another. However just RACISM described from BLACKS is just TOO UNFATHOMABLE for WHITE INTELLIGENCE. Even WHITE PEOPLE with CONSIDERABLE BEST MINDS. So all this TALK will KEEP US FENCED INTO the SYSTEM which isnt LOOKING to PROMISING EACH DAY.

I dont talk to many WHITES because any FUTURE talk is about the SYSTEM. They cannot see BEYOND the SYSTEM and are STUCK to the SYSTEM as a FORM of FREEDOM. That is the CURSE that afflicted other PAST CIVILIZATIONS. So far they are GONE. I don't plan on DISAPPEARING from the EARTH.

Why be stuck to a CALENDAR and just live. The DAYS are ALREADY NUMBERED. I forgot we like DEATH.

I dont expect WHITE SPANISH ASIAN or even BLACK PEOPLE to give CREDULENCE to BLACK HISTORY MONTH. There is REMARKABLE INTELLIGENCE in its DELIVERANCE especially the FOUNDER CARTER G WOODSON of NEGRO HISTORY WEEK. Now he wanted to ADDRESS an INJUSTICE and HE DID. Not only that this INJUSTICE got recognized all the way to that WHITE HOUSE.

That's AMAZING. Then IT OPENED UP A SPACE for those SPANISH ASIAN and OTHERS to RIDE ON and GET THEIR NATION POINT ACROSS.

So now PEOPLE got PROBLEMS with BLACK HISTORY MONTH after the FACT.

Now it is CONSIDERED EVIL or a PROBLEM. That's what HAPPENS when you let them INJUSTICES GROW. They become OFFENCES that even the MIGHTIEST cannot BEAR.

But its EASY to drop them on a BROTHER and SISTER.

Why couldnt WELL MEANING WHITES do the SAME. Dont tell me its because there is a GREAT CURSE in the LAND which keep one STUCK on the SYSTEM.

I dont plan on being STUCK and WALKING AROUND being a SHELL.

GETTING STUCK in the NATION means NO GROWTH which MEANS SHUTDOWN.

When COMPLETE SHUTDOWN happens its going to be GLOBAL. Little THINGS usually does SUCH.

Those PUBLIC SCHOOLS are DANGEROUS PLACES. Especially for YOUNG BLACK MINDS. BLACK PEOPLE are having problems relating GENERATIONALLY. I would like to THANK those SCHOOLS for making our WORK in the NATION so much GREATER.

So I will leave something hopefully SIMPLE...

Training of TEACHERS have to be ADDRESS. I have a proposal but even then if this is not a DREAMWORK anything I say will be too HEAVY and FOOLISH.

COMPUTERS seem to be HELPING

Maybe REPLACING these TEACHERS and their CULTURAL NORMS with a CONCERN TRAINED PARENT and their CREATIVE CHILD using a COMPUTER is SIMPLE ENOUGH.

Just let the SCHOOLS be an INTERNET CAFE for PLUGGIN INTO the WORLD instead of a TRAINING GROUND for LOW WAGE SERVICE OREINTED INCANCERATION DEATH LOVERS who OWN WHITE TEACHER FEARS CREATED.

When I look at BLACK MALES not LIVING at their BEST, I see a DEMONIC WHITE TEACHER who MADE THEM to LOVE DEATH and DESTRUCTION. Playing AROUND with INJUSTICES is NO JOKE.

ELECTRICITY COST are HIGH but SO is an UNEDUCATED BLACK MIND. The SCHOOL can HANDLE BOTH and MAKE IT FUN STARTING TODAY.

Otherwise we are JUST WASTING TIME and I hope we ENJOY the FRUITS of a NATION on SHUTDOWN because the BEST will not be ENOUGH.

Here a LINK to WHAT I MEAN

Technology reboots student interest

Oh well.

10. Peril

Peril Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You

I have been busy with school lately and have not had any time to frequent the forums as I used to before exams and term papers started. I would just like to thank everyone who replied to my letter. I believe that some really great thoughts were generated. I hope that constructive thoughts will continue to exist and be spoken as that is the only way change will occur. Bowing low in defeat and in frustration does nothing for us. Neither does the generalizing attitude of believeing the worst of everyone. It is easy to be distracted by failure and it is hard to be positive when it seems as if everything is not as we wish it to be. But that is exactly what is needed now. Faith is not just the belief in God but also in ourselves and those around us. I personally have Faith in everyone on this forum and our futures. Thank you very much for responding, Peril