Black People : An Interesting Read! What Are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by PurpleMoons, Aug 23, 2004.

1. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Racist Like Me
    Why am I the only honest bigot?
    By Debra Dickerson
    Posted Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2004, at 9:09 AM PT

In a nation riven to its very core by race, I appear to be the only remaining racist. Off and on, I'm homophobic and anti-Semitic, too, but mostly, I'm racist. Yet unlike the rest of you, I'm honest about it.

I'm the only person I know who routinely admits to being a racist. When I redeemed my Mother's Day spa package, I was assigned a lovely young black woman as my aesthetician. As we chatted, I found myself searching for words. Eventually, I realized I was trying to find a way to ask about her credentials. In 20 years of spa trips, I have never had a black aesthetician, and I have never thought, let alone asked, about one's competence, even when they disappoint me. It appears that I, too, think black people are stupid, uninformed, and graceless. Criminal, too—day before yesterday, after finalizing the details of working in a public housing complex, I dreamt that night of herds of rapacious, animalistic blacks robbing, assaulting, and generally terrorizing me there. (Birth of a Nation was more subtle.) So, counting yesterday's incident, which I will recount shortly, that makes twice just this week that I was a racist.

It was yesterday's incident that got me thinking about how racism is lived. The New York Times recently won a Pulitzer for a series on how race is lived, but that's not quite the same thing, is it? Most of us agree that racism is far from dead and that we're all responsible for helping to end it. And yet, so charged is the issue of race that it is virtually impossible for those who do not already agree about it to discuss it. Without a free exchange of ideas, progress is not very likely; conservatives will continue to preach to their choir and liberals will do the same.

http://slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2104994&#ContinueArticle

2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    UUUUHHHH.....at the start of this I was thinking it is good for people to admit to being racist if they are becuase there are many who come at you like an angel and are the opposite. I like to know where people stand.

As I read on it became apparent this is a black woman writting this.

In the end it seems she is making an excuse for hating her own people. I agree that it is bad to have racial conflict....but it aint right to promote class conflict in order to distance yourself from those members of your own race who you feel "embaress" you. Separation by classes is more logical....but that dont make it a good thing at all. She just wants to find a way out of being called a self hating sellout IMO.

BTW, I aint saying this becuase she has a white hubby and IR kids....but why throw that out there? Why only mention blacks when speaking of the projects and poor people and speak only of those rich whites in her area? Put that together with the fact that the main point is supposed to be "class conflict is better" and you can see what she is saying between the lines.

Thanks for posting this....you gave my brain and analytical skills a work out becuase I had to change my response after reading more carefully.

What do you think purplemoons?

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I have to admit that at first I thought it was just another white person going through the motions of fear. As I read on, I began to feel very disappointed. How could she be so leary about the color of skin. She too is Black and an attorney, what makes her feel like Black people arent intelligent.

It just shows me how messed up we are as a people when it comes to unity. I can understand to some degree where fear might occur. I too have been afraid when walking by a group of drug dealers in my hood but not because they were Black, but because I know what dangers can arise at any given moment.

To be so closed minded about her own race is so sad. And for her to justify it by saying that its not race but classism, is more in part, ludicrous. Somehow, I still can agree that classism do play a role in racism. Money sends off a different message for most white people. If you got a lot of it they wanna know how you got it and how they can steal it from you.

I would love to see the reaction on her face if her daughter was to bring home a young college brother from the hood. Oh my! After all, her children are black too and may have a need to connect to their people.....

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I have but one comment: Someone give that woman a mirror!