Black People : An Exploratory Discussion of Reparation for Slavery

I was reading this with great interest and then to my surprise saw that I had replied to this back in 07 ^_^

Still relevant, fam.

One,

- Ikoro
If a Black president says absolutely no to reperations, do we expect a white one to, in the future?

With regard to reparations for slavery in the U.S., I don't think it will ever happen. Do note this section of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

Section 4.

The validity of the pubic debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred in payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations, and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Congress basically granted the United States and States immunity from claims with regard to emancipation of slaves as well as slave masters suffering loss of property.

They closed the claims window (court).

This, I believe, is the primary reason why the Supreme Court will not hear any cases with regard to reparations for African-Americans: they can't per Section 4 of the 14th Amendment.

Something else I would like to point out from the same section:

Section 4.

The validity of the pubic debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred in payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned
. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations, and claims shall be held illegal and void.

After emancipating the freemen, Congress laid the burden of the public debt of the United States upon them.

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

With regard to reparations for slavery in the U.S., I don't think it will ever happen. Do note this section of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

Congress basically granted the United States and States immunity from claims with regard to emancipation of slaves as well as slave masters suffering loss of property.

They closed the claims window (court).

This, I believe, is the primary reason why the Supreme Court will not hear any cases with regard to reparations for African-Americans: they can't per Section 4 of the 14th Amendment.

Something else I would like to point out from the same section:

After emancipating the freemen, Congress laid the burden of the public debt of the United States upon them.

.......Let me know what you think about this Shikamaru,

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=699030&postcount=64

Also, read the entire thread by clicking top right of the link, and lets talk about this case and what you may think its outcome to be...Peace In my friend,

Last edited:
.......Let me know what you think about this Shikamaru,

Also, read the entire thread by clicking top right of the link, and lets talk about this case and what you may think its outcome to be...Peace In my friend,

Interesting. The suit is against private corporations, but not any State or Federal governments.

In my opinion, there is some serious stretching and twisting in this case to move slavery from an issue of rights to one of consumer fraud :).

There is an author whose name escapes me at this time who stated (and I agree) that slaves were prisoners of war.

If we were to go by the papal bulls of Dum Diversas and Romanex Pontifex, I think there may be legs to the aforementioned point.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back