Black Spirituality Religion : An Examination of "Sacred Texts"

The Coffin Texts

One set of Sacred Texts are known as the Coffin Texts.

"The Coffin Texts, which superceded the Pyramid Texts as magical funerary spells at the end of the Egyptian Old Kingdom, are principally a Middle Kingdom phenomenon, although examples have been found as early as the late Old Kingdom. They democratized the afterlife by removing the royal exclusivity of the Pyramid Texts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_Texts

This point concerning how the conception of the afterlife was "democratized" is very important. It is a CONCEPTION of the afterlife, which some falsly mis-interpret as a reflection of reality.

For example, this is what leads some to interpret the symbolism of hue-men and "pigs" (for example) living in "harmony" in certain artistic depictions as a reflection of "reality" while the fact is the "pig" was reviled prior to the supercession of the Pyramid texts and was seen as an "evil spirit", which laer was "deified" when the "Sethians" arose to ascendancy within the Egyptian nobility.

"In some cases these descriptions were supplemented by illustrations and maps of the underworld called "The Book of the Two Ways".

It is very critical to KNOW how this Book of the Two Ways changed the ancient Egyptian conception of the Afterlife, and HOW this was integrated generations later by the Egyptian Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox churches and codified into the Two Ways, represented by the Biblical Old and New testaments...the Two Ways, the Old and the New.

:laugh:

Animal Mutilation Scenes in the Coffin Texts

OmowaleX said:
One set of Sacred Texts are known as the Coffin Texts.

"The Coffin Texts, which superceded the Pyramid Texts as magical funerary spells at the end of the Egyptian Old Kingdom, are principally a Middle Kingdom phenomenon, although examples have been found as early as the late Old Kingdom. They democratized the afterlife by removing the royal exclusivity of the Pyramid Texts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_Texts

This point concerning how the conception of the afterlife was "democratized" is very important. It is a CONCEPTION of the afterlife, which some falsly mis-interpret as a reflection of reality.

For example, this is what leads some to interpret the symbolism of hue-men and "pigs" (for example) living in "harmony" in certain artistic depictions as a reflection of "reality" while the fact is the "pig" was reviled prior to the supercession of the Pyramid texts and was seen as an "evil spirit", which laer was "deified" when the "Sethians" arose to ascendancy within the Egyptian nobility.

"In some cases these descriptions were supplemented by illustrations and maps of the underworld called "The Book of the Two Ways".

It is very critical to KNOW how this Book of the Two Ways changed the ancient Egyptian conception of the Afterlife, and HOW this was integrated generations later by the Egyptian Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodox churches and codified into the Two Ways, represented by the Biblical Old and New testaments...the Two Ways, the Old and the New.

:laugh:

Some have narrowly argued, based on a few artistic depictions in some funerary scenes, that Africans did not "eat" animals prior to "europeanization" and that these "animals" were viewed as "divinities".

True to a certain extent, but not totally.

And this is evident in the Coffin Texts.

Consider the following.

"Yet the ancient Egyptians were cautious of graphic depictions. One holdover from the Pyramid Texts that we find at least in the early Coffin Texts is the mutilation of most of the hieroglyphic signs representing animate objects. Sometimes the glyphs are actually carved as two separate pieces divided by a blank space. At other times, snakes, other animals and various other creatures are inscribed with knives in their backs. This was all intended to ensure that the intact figure would not be able to somehow threaten the deceased person interred nearby."
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/coffintext.htm

Mans Soul Identified with Both Osiris and With Nature

"Whether I live or die I am Osiris,
I enter in and reappear through you,
I decay in you, I grow in you,
I fall down in you, I fall upon my side.
The gods are living in me for I live and grow in the corn.
that sustains the Honoured Ones.
I cover the earth,
whether I live or die I am Barley.
I am not destroyed.
I have entered the Order.
I become Master of the Order,
I emerge in the Order.
I make my form distinct,
I am the Lord - of the Chennet
I have entered into the Order.
I have reached its limits..."​

Peace!​

How this relates to the "Bible"

In previous threads I have written concerning "problems with chronology" and this stems from certain similarities in relation to compilation. Just as the Bible is a compilation of various sources by multiple authors, the same can be said concening the "Book of the Dead", the "Coffin Texts, the "Book of Gates", the "Pyramid texts" ad infinum.

In reference to the Coffin Texts, it has been written, "Today we face many of the same problems in dealing with the coffin text that de Buck faced, which mostly concerns their order. He had no established chronological order and the beginnings or ending of the text were not consistent from one source to the next. Furthermore, the text could be written on all six surfaces in the interior of the coffin, and their progression within any given coffin could vary."

Again, this lack of "Order" is indicative of "imbalance" and this is further complicated by "inconsistency".

How then can one even comtemplate arguing the historicity of these texts are representing "Maat" when the very method of their compilation is "imbalanced"?

And as far as "scratching the surface", it is the false interpretation of these texts which lends to superficiality, speculation and straight-out lies and mis-interpretation based on mis-information of mythic proportions.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back