Black People : Amos Wilson: "You Have To Will Yourself To Be Dumb In Amerikkka"

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Nov 9, 2011.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097

2. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    *bump*

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I respect Amos Wilson, but I think he has a huge historical blindspot.. He speaks about what black folks are not doing, as if it is simply a matter of will.. I understand that he is attempting to motivate black folks to act on their own behalf, but not talking about the 100,000 pound bloody white elephant in the room discounts his message. Black folks have attempted to do the very things he is suggesting, but invariably those efforts have been put down, violently, by white folks.. so, it pains me to hear someone as intelligent as Dr. Wilson lay these things out in terms of black deficiencies. I think his optimism about America has tainted his message. He references these other groups and he speaks about them with a kind of respect that he does not show our own efforts.

Koreans setup stores with help from Korean communities and Korean banks.. Koreans have not stake in America and our social/political system is not based on them in any way shape or form.. Mexicans either.. Chinese either.. Our entire social and political systems are based on Black People and White people.. White American identity is based in Black American identity. Where they live is based on where we live.. Their social status is based on our social status.. Their group esteem is defined in relation to our position.. our education level.. our wealth.. our decadence.. our achievements.. Black folks occupy the underclass in America not because of deficiencies within our group, but because we have been placed here and are held here by the system of Racism by whites aimed at maintaining Dominance over non-white people in general and Black people in particular. So, for me, Dr. Wilson's anger is misplaced.. and so is his criticism.. He believes that if we were to all be clean and shiny and all have PHDs that we would move up in society.. he is mistaken.

The Drugs and the guns and the protection of illegal business by untouchable government agents.. police.. judges.. elected officials.. the mis-education of black children.. the predatory and exploitive practices of financial institutions.. discriminatory hiring/firing practices.. the lockout of black folks by racist unions.. the outright murder of black leaders and demonization of the black male image.. all of those things act as barriers to our collective progress.. and non of those things are controlled by us.. we are under assault and we have been for some time.. He knew that.. but I think that after so many years in the fight, like Cosby, he just got tired.. and frustrated and started lashing out at black folks.. I think its a natural phenomena that has to do with coming to the end of your life.. over time the message changes.. matures.. and zeros in on the only parts that it appears we can control.. our behavior. I still love his intensity and his focus on solving the problems of his people.. of our people.

I particularly like the idea of looking at ourselves as an actual technical nation.. and analyzing our economic activities through that metaphor.. that was powerful.. and as complete as it could be without ruining the thrust of it with the reality that a Nation must be able to exert its will.. and defend its people.. and plan for its future.. A Nation must have Sovereignty.. and black folks have non of those things.. and it's no coincidence or incompetence involved in it.. those things have been deliberately strategized against, destroyed, mitigated and withheld through a systematic and focused white racism. That reality there, grounds that hopeful "black nation" metaphor and replaces it with a dreary reality that could further depress black folks. And its for these reasons that I applaud and support any black person that makes it their lifes mission to wrestle with these kinds of problems.. it really takes a lot of courage and dilligence and a resounding love for ones people.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    That is why it is my belief that youtubes, provide 0 education! and at times without corellated text actually do more harm then good.

Watching 5 minutes or one hour of a person without reading any of their texts from cover to cover, anything or everything they say can be taken out of context, without knowing where these statements are being made and to what particular audience and setting.

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    you know good and well that you aint read no more than 2 or 3 sentences of what I wrote.. Why don't you respect the thread and stay on the topic?.. you quoted my entire post but have no specific points to make about anything that I said.. I doubt you even watched the video. I watched the entire series.. and many of his other talks.. and I've been reading his work for years and years.. I believe I am entitled to my opinion.. and even to disagree with some of his conclusions. And as long as my disagreements are substantive, its all constructive.. unlike your disagreements, which seem to have no basis other than to disrupt potential fruitful conversations before they have a chance to develop.. feels kind of like that COINTELPRO that you're so obsessed with. If this were my site, these kinds of disruptions would be rule violations.. and you would be permanently banned by your ipaddress.. if this were my site.. but its not, so do your dance.. and make your noise.. so we can get back to what we're doing here.

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
    oooohhhh what is your hangup now partner i thought only ...... get emotional like that?

Not only did I read your entire post but I notice our entire mindset of post dealing with pity parties instead of solutions, whining and crying about this and that, slave this and slave that Chirsitin this and Chrisitan that, man gimme a break

next! context is everything and your is what?

7. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Look.. I already reported this post and several other posts to the moderators.. and I'm hoping that they can see the pattern of your behavior and how it impedes fruitful dialogue here at Destee.com and take some action.. I think that you have no other purpose on this site other than to disrupt and to bait others into wasting their time and energy on you instead of connecting and partnering and building with eachother. I actually think its your job.. so, save your bait and all your techniques for the folks that don't recognize what you are and why you are here. I can see you.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,015
  9. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    "Optimism"? What did he say that suggested he was being optimistic about amerikkka? Other than the fact that there is so
    much information at our fingertips and how so many of us won't even touch it, let alone 'look' at it? Being the contexualist that you are, and I say that with admiration, check out all the other parts of this lecture. There's one part where he digs on the other ethnic groups. Particularly the irish (I'll repost it here), and how "the white boy is playing" the "game" on us. I posted the piece (in the first post) because I agree with him that there is too much info around. It is my belief that the more informed a people is/are the better off a people is/are. Like tina turner said, "we don't need another hero", if you will. Nothing grandiose or 'out of this world'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7SClRP4mIY&feature=player_embedded#!

Wilson does not advocate that. In fact, he's quite critical towards the idea that many black folks have, that getting a degree will
    guarantee a job. He's an advocate of us creating jobs and on the job teaching.

Liking cosby to wilson is liking rudy ray moore to mlk. Cosby was/is not interested in speaking to our predicament in the grand scheme of things (in context).

Regarding the "predatory and exploitive practices"

Before we can even began to talk about sovereignty, should we first began with seeing ourselves as
    a nation? Even within a nation. That, I find to be the tallest hurdle.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Bump!