Ghana : Americans relocating to Ghana

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Matanah, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Matanah

Matanah Member MEMBER

I work for Yah (God) and His People!
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peace and Blessings!

I'm a newbie here, and I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place... :-( Any direction is welcome! *smile*

I'm on a quest for knowledge around "African Americans" relocating to Ghana, West Africa. Citizenship, business, etc. It's my understanding that there are many "Black" americans who have decided to make Ghana their permanent home - and this is what my family and I are looking to do.

Have you, or someone you know, successfully repatriated/relocated?
    Do you have any info/tips on the process?

Anything you can share on the matter is GREATLY appreciated!

Todah! (Thank you)
    Matanah

2. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    Welcome Brother!!! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I must say that this is a brilliant first post, because

a.) I plan to study abroad in Ghana next summer
    b.) I had a professor this past semester who wants to get citizenship in Ghana, because I here that currently it's one of the better places to live at on the continent
    c.) I've heard that the government over there doesn't allow foreigners to gain citizenship out of fear of those citizens running for political offices, and changing the political landscape. (not sure how true this is, if I'm wrong someone please correct me)

But the trend of leaving Amerikkka to emigrate in other parts of the world is becoming a hot trend right now, because of the economy. We even have professional basketball players leaving to play overseas, because the value of the dollar continues to plummet. Does anyone know of the economic stability in Ghana currently????

EDIT

May I ask why your family is looking to move????

3. Matanah

Matanah Member MEMBER

I work for Yah (God) and His People!
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peace Brother!

I'm actually a Sister! *smile* It's all good - the name is Hebraic and it means "Gift of God".

Thank you for posting and acknowledging the importance of this post/dialogue. Many Africans across the diaspora and across the many dispensations of time, has been in a continual mindset of repatriation. From Marcus Garvey's Black Star movement, to the strong presence of "African Americans" already living in Ghana today.

It's definitely that time - it's actually overdue that we return to and invest in the growth, prosperity and protection of OUR land!

We're so serious about this and really working to get the ball rolling. To answer your question - My fiance has been speaking of leaving the US for the last 10 years - he gave himself a deadline of 2010. It is for very obvious reasons - some mentioned above - that we're relocating in 2009.

I look forward to more posts/ideas/additions!

Todah! :spin:
    Matanah

4. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
  5. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    my apologies sister, lol. But I agree 100%. I'm sort of torn, because I feel the need to do some work here for my people in America before I move back to the continent, but I do believe our ultimate freedom can be obtained by moving back to the land of our mothers and fathers....although it certainly won't be an easy task....

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister Matanah ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing! While i have no personal experience with this topic, i am enjoying all the responses you've received thus far, and will continue to do so i'm sure!

Please make yourself at home, because you are!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

7. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    The Pan-African Improvement Organization Is Organizing:

Uhuru!(freedom) Sistah Matanah,

This is certainly great news you have reported! I have a true friend in Sekou Nkrumah who is also Chairman of the Pan-African Improvement Organization located in Ghana. I believe brother Sekou and the Organization (PANIO) would be a tremendous asset to you and you're families’ repatriation efforts. I have included an insert below. After reading it if you or any other is interested I will forward you the rest of the information needed to make a connection.

Side notes: Brother Sekou was born here in the U.S. He has been Sucessfully living BACK HOME for nearly 20yrs now. Also, although the next national trainning takes place this month (last minute) the Organization is on going and extremely active.

Insert:
    A Leadership Training and Development Program in Accra, Ghana August 16 - 31, 2008. Unlike tours to Ghana in which Africans stay in a hotel, and ride around to different sites and never experience the real life of the people, or become a part of an educational process that will train them to participate in an organization for their own liberation; with our leadership training and development program the Pan-African Improvement Organization seeks to change all that. We are organizing to give African people a realistic understanding about the struggle for freedom in Africa, and the liberation movement of African people world wide.

Coming home to Africa based on romanticism, adventurism, and buying clothes and a few artifacts does not solve the problems of our people, which in fact only leads to wasteful spending. The same holds true for opportunist that organize conferences in Africa only to talk, but are not willing to engage in revolutionary action for the people's freedom. Additionally , our people should be aware of the African petite bourguoisie class, which lives in the U.S. that seek to use our people for investments to come home to join the neo-colonialist class, in order to help facilitate the capitalist exploitation of our resources and people's labor inside of Africa. Repatriation is anti-capitalism and anti-neo-colonialist, but is inextricably tied into Pan-Africanism; building a unified liberated Africa in which the African working masses own and control the weatlh of society.

Even if we do not Repatriate immediately, our people must be organized and properly educated upon returning to the diaspora, or the U.S. to fight the capitalist system so as to prepare to come home as an organizer for change. Therefore, we are looking forward to your reply and participation. Please share this information with everyone on your e-mail list.

Pan-African Improvement Organization

Uhuru Now!

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

soulosophy,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Sister, I thank you for this information! And I hope that Matanah and others share in thanking you, as well! We have our work to do, the disconnect is real. I am blessed to see a truthful report on the dilemma of the diaspora.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    there are at least

5,000 Afrikans born here in Amerikkka that have gone home. I will be another. Woeking on/towarss it every day. The Govt there is making a concerted effort to bring Afrikans in the Diaspora home. :)

10. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147

I first saw this piece a year or so ago, and after watching it again my view of its intent has not changed. While I agree that certain elements of this piece hold in truth, I can’t help but to notice the subtle negative spin the producers choose to portray.

Without inciting a debate, let me just say this is but one controlled view of Ghana. There is indeed a more inspiring and yet truthful side.

Uhuru!