Black Education / Schools : American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery

Thank you. It seems White people have an obsession with our history even though they created it when they enslaved us.
"Though"? Of course, and rightly so. History is about what your ancestors have done or what was done to them. It's always a matter of how we've gotten to where we are now. White Americans should know what there ancestors have done and black Americans should know what has been done to their ancestors. That seems especially important in America because there the idea of white sumpremacy, constructed to legitimize slavery, didn't fade out there with abolition. Because they enslaved you, you have become part of their history and the other way around. It would be a good thing if that was one and the same version of history.

If you want history lessons to be relevant you have to take the self centric perspective and look at your own society. Do you really want the African perspective? It seems to me from the African perspective the transatlantic slavery wouldn't be very relevant, the rape of the continent happened mostly after slavery. You would learn a lot about all kinds of African civilizations, their wars and their slavery, and colonization, which learn you very little about the society you're in today. It would probably be more about the Arabic slavetrade, because it was bigger and went on for much longer than the European/American slavery (it's even questionable whether it has ended), it's 19 million black slaves for the muslims vs. 12 million black slaves for the christians. But the Arab slavetrade has had little impact on today's American society, nor has the African on African enslavement, or the enslavement of white Europeans by white Europeans, or by Arabs, Ottomans and Barbary pirates (North Africa), not to mention all slavery in Asia, precolombian slavery in the America's or today's slavery in Africa.

It's only the Atlantic slavetrade and American slavery that shaped your country and that's why it's history should be taught in your country and it's a good thing if white Americans are obsessed with it.

Is it really up to the public school system to teach black children about black history? I mean I do believe in a multicultural curriculum with includes more African American history. But should we as a people and community do the really hard work and details of our story. Why leave it all up the the schools.

All I can do is :facepalm:

American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery

Rebecca Klein

HuffPost

... American students are being taught an inadequate and often sanitized version of history when it comes to slavery, according to a new report.
The report, from the Southern Poverty Law Center, looks at how slavery is presented in K-12 classrooms and found that students are often taught a deeply incomplete version of events ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-students-aren-apos-t-162918015.html
85c93359a1eb9a87a8338c6c1e219ea1

(skynesher via I just want to say some of the things that I have learned about slavery and how they where treating us back in the day some of it is appalling and sickening that they can tell other countries about civil rights and Humanity rights given the state of what they're doing to those kids in them camps and the United States and ****** up America

"Though"? Of course, and rightly so. History is about what your ancestors have done or what was done to them. It's always a matter of how we've gotten to where we are now. White Americans should know what there ancestors have done and black Americans should know what has been done to their ancestors. That seems especially important in America because there the idea of white sumpremacy, constructed to legitimize slavery, didn't fade out there with abolition. Because they enslaved you, you have become part of their history and the other way around. It would be a good thing if that was one and the same version of history.

If you want history lessons to be relevant you have to take the self centric perspective and look at your own society. Do you really want the African perspective? It seems to me from the African perspective the transatlantic slavery wouldn't be very relevant, the rape of the continent happened mostly after slavery. You would learn a lot about all kinds of African civilizations, their wars and their slavery, and colonization, which learn you very little about the society you're in today. It would probably be more about the Arabic slavetrade, because it was bigger and went on for much longer than the European/American slavery (it's even questionable whether it has ended), it's 19 million black slaves for the muslims vs. 12 million black slaves for the christians. But the Arab slavetrade has had little impact on today's American society, nor has the African on African enslavement, or the enslavement of white Europeans by white Europeans, or by Arabs, Ottomans and Barbary pirates (North Africa), not to mention all slavery in Asia, precolombian slavery in the America's or today's slavery in Africa.

It's only the Atlantic slavetrade and American slavery that shaped your country and that's why it's history should be taught in your country and it's a good thing if white Americans are obsessed with it.
You are so right with everything you're saying

You are so right with everything you're saying
I love this country but I hate what it stands for they had no intentions of including us in the the world order Jim Crow is alive and well gave us justice but we get no justice 2 laws of the land one white one black as long as we stay in our place they win every time but because of the events that happened over the weekend white man shooting cops all they going to have something to say about that traded a highly educated black man in for a racist narcissist idiot

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back