Black Education / Schools : American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
All I can do is :facepalm:

American Students Aren't Learning The Full Truth About Slavery

Rebecca Klein

HuffPost

... American students are being taught an inadequate and often sanitized version of history when it comes to slavery, according to a new report.
The report, from the Southern Poverty Law Center, looks at how slavery is presented in K-12 classrooms and found that students are often taught a deeply incomplete version of events ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-students-aren-apos-t-162918015.html

(skynesher via Getty Images)

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

A teacher allegedly had black students lie on floor for slavery lesson, sparking outrage

MORGAN WINSOR

Good Morning America

... Cummings, who is reportedly white, allegedly had black students lie on the floor. At one point, the New York Daily News reports, she allegedly stepped on the back of at least one of the students and said, "How does it feel? See how it feels to be a slave?" ...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/teacher-allegedly-had-black-students-lie-floor-slavery-181703713--abc-news-topstories.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_14

PHOTO: Scene in the hold of the 'blood-stained Gloria.' (Middle Passage). (Corbis via Getty Images)

chuck

Aug 9, 2003

A teacher allegedly had black students lie on floor for slavery lesson, sparking outrage

MORGAN WINSOR

Good Morning America

... Cummings, who is reportedly white, allegedly had black students lie on the floor. At one point, the New York Daily News reports, she allegedly stepped on the back of at least one of the students and said, "How does it feel? See how it feels to be a slave?" ...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/teacher-allegedly-had-black-students-lie-floor-slavery-181703713--abc-news-topstories.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_14

PHOTO: Scene in the hold of the 'blood-stained Gloria.' (Middle Passage). (Corbis via Getty Images)

OMG

chuck

Aug 9, 2003

MORGAN WINSOR

Good Morning America

OMG

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Teaching Hard History

Schools are not adequately teaching the history of American slavery, educators are not sufficiently prepared to teach it, textbooks do not have enough material about it, and – as a result – students lack a basic knowledge of the important role it played in shaping the United States and the impact it continues to have on race relations in America

Download the report.

Teachers can access resources on teaching American slavery at: www.tolerance.org/hardhistory. The resources are offered to educators at no cost.

https://www.splcenter.org/20180131/teaching-hard-history

shaka64

STAFF
STAFF
Feb 15, 2007
africa
Occupation
Photographer
I am not sure it is wise to try and teach the truth about slavery to today's youth in school. I remember the effect Roots had on all schools in New Orleans. Black youth and teenagers jumped on white kids and gave teachers hell for a few weeks.

Hermetic

May 30, 2015
I am not sure it is wise to try and teach the truth about slavery to today's youth in school. I remember the effect Roots had on all schools in New Orleans. Black youth and teenagers jumped on white kids and gave teachers hell for a few weeks.
I think your fears may have some validity, since there will be a certain percentage of the students who may take the history as an excuse to act out their frustration on others. I would hope that they took it as I did, a reason to out smart White children. Unfortunately, it is hard to turn negative responses to emotions into positive actions. Still in the end, the truth needs to be known and expecting a government funded organization to disseminate the truth is an exercise in futility. I think we would probably be better off making sure our children know the true history from us (their parents and elders).

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
I think your fears may have some validity, since there will be a certain percentage of the students who may take the history as an excuse to act out their frustration on others. I would hope that they took it as I did, a reason to out smart White children. Unfortunately, it is hard to turn negative responses to emotions into positive actions. Still in the end, the truth needs to be known and expecting a government funded organization to disseminate the truth is an exercise in futility. I think we would probably be better off making sure our children know the true history from us (their parents and elders).

I wholeheartedly agree with your wise advice as well!!!!!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

It's okay to admire otherz, but first, love self. ELEVATE your self-image by having a healthy love & respect for yourself. ✍
1619+400=2019 Jamestown Virginia...end of slavery. (Yes modern miseducation and injustices count as slavery) But no proper reparations will be given since the amount of contributions beyond humanity transcends generations. Our people have history that is equal to trillions of dollars including Melanin research and its supernatural power.
I want my people to be aware of this dilemma regarding the upcoming election... I know politics. Yes Trump is admitting the truth about Black People building this so called country corporation (The United States). But you must understand that what they're planning on doing is to divide and conquer. This is all just for him to get re-elected. He's going to promise reparations and reneg at the last minute.
Ifypedro334 wrote on Jasica Adam's profile.
The best gift to give a baby boy is ??
Lon
Trying to find my way around on this forum. It's not User Friendly