Black People : American Sniper - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Feb 22, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    upload_2015-2-22_21-0-6.png

American Sniper is a 2014 American biographical war drama film directed by Clint Eastwood and written by Jason Hall. It is based on the book "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History" (2012) by Chris Kyle, with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice. With 255 kills, 160 of which were officially confirmed by the Department of Defense, Kyle is the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history. The film stars Bradley Cooper as Kyle and Sienna Miller as his wife Taya, with Luke Grimes, Kyle Gallner, Sam Jaeger, Jake McDorman, and Cory Hardrict in supporting roles.

upload_2015-2-22_20-56-5.png

The world premiere was on November 11, 2014, at the American Film Institute Festival, followed by a limited theatrical release in the United States on December 25, 2014 and a wide release on January 16, 2015. The film is a huge financial success and has already set numerous box office records: it is currently the third-highest-grossing film of 2014, the highest-grossing war film in North America, and Eastwood's most successful film to date.

The film received positive reviews from critics. At the 87th Academy Awards, American Sniper received six nominations, including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actor for Cooper.

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History is a memoir by American United States Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, written with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice. With 255 kills, 160 of them officially confirmed by the Pentagon, Kyle is the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history. The book was published by William Morrow and Company on January 2, 2012, and appeared on The New York Times Best Seller list for 37 weeks. The memoir has sold over 1.2 million copies across all formats (hardcover, paper and ebook), including 700,000 copies in 2015 alone, making it the best-selling book of 2015 so far. It landed atop all the major best-seller lists including the aforementioned The New York Times, and Publishers Weekly, USA Today and No. 2 on Amazon. Its film adaptation directed by Clint Eastwood was released in 2014.

[​IMG]

Kyle was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy in 2009 and wrote a bestselling autobiography, American Sniper, which was published in January 2012. On February 2, 2013, Kyle was shot and killed at a shooting range near Chalk Mountain, Texas, along with friend Chad Littlefield. The man accused of killing them is currently on trial for murder.

upload_2015-2-22_20-58-2.png

Trial of Eddie Routh, killer of Chris Kyle, will be darkest chapter of ‘American Sniper’

Sources:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...yle-will-be-american-snipers-darkest-chapter/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-eddie-ray-routh-details-his-downward-spiral/

War is violent

Other prominent war films:

• Platoon
    • Apocalypse Now
    • The Patriot
    • Black Hawk Down
    • We Were Soldiers
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Pearl Harbor
    • Three Kings
    • Lone Survivor

What comes to mind when viewing these types of films?

2. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    No issues with the movie. He was called to action. Performed with precision. Received the trauma and dealt with it... or dealing with it... and helped others which were lost in the fog.

Basically most of them are simply telling the fables of war and the truths which should be learned based on decisions...
    ex would be Lone Survivor when they literally debated the merits of not killing combatants because they were kids, and in doing so doomed his comrades to die.

Or the overall idiocy of UN policy in Somalia for Black Hawk Down, which America remembered and kept out of Nigeria.

the part which I despise is the stylized romantics of most of the movies. War is its own poetry by itself. It's the veil which humanity raises as to their true nature instead of the lies which they hide behind

3. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    I too have conflicting issues with the romanticizing nature of them.

Have there ever been films on "conscientious objectors", and how they struggle with the decision to avoid being in a position where the would be killing children or innocent civilians, then being labeled unpatriotic or un-American?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    did not/will not see the movie. apparently, when they ran into another guy with a gun who could shoot back they didn't fare too well.

5. Deacs

Ratings:
    +567
    I haven't seen any with COs in them, and frankly I will never want to see one... and its not about them being unpatriotic or UnAmerican... its for the fact that they lack the conviction of their words. Regardless of the situation, or the branch of service which you enter, they made you take an oath, they made you pledge, they literally train you to perform the job, and with that, protect your fellow beside you...

and all of a sudden, you decline to do what you pledge your word to do? Nope... they could never be my brother, you should've stayed a civilian and learn do as you will than do that... and actually, now that I think of it, that is very American... lol

That's the way of war James... you think they don't know how to use weapons? and the movie is called American Sniper, in the singular... that means the rest was simply fodder

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the guy with a gun who knew how to shoot back was another crazy american.
    one nut wit a gun took out both of our 'war heroes'. good riddance.

7. Deacs

Ratings:
    +567
    there are no heroes James.... that is nothing but a sandwich, and what idiots believe which come out of war.

The only men which comes out of war are broken ones

8. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    I think, from what I hear from those that have seen action, that there is no such thing as a "fair fight" when it comes to war, kill them before they kill you... even if they are children and women.

Listen to how this 9 year veteran is labeled anti-military because of him trying to tell the stories that I didn't get when recruiters came to see me when I was in school.

We all know this so called veteran is all about propaganda, right?

Are these "real soldiers", or little boys that don't have the conviction to stand behind their oath, even if it means having blowing up women and children?

"Buck up soldier, and cry about it later"

They went to Iraq in particular for defense against terrorist attacks in America, then it changed to the liberation of the Iraqi people, after they hit them with the shock and awe of course.

But lookie here, at least they found the WMDs... over 10 years later

Do Reports of WMD Found in Iraq Vindicate George W. Bush?

Oct. 16, 2014

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/10/16/new-york-times-reports-wmd-found-in-iraq

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/bombshell-new-york-times-reports-wmds-found-iraq/

You heard about this right?

9. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Clint Eastwood, whatever his former appeal as a 'tell it like it is' actor/producer/etc., was and is as much of a defender of the status quo, as John Wayne just fronted as, back in the day....

FYI

10. Deacs

Ratings:
    +567
    He hasn't said anything wrong about war... that is what war is, that is what you do.
    I would not call him a little boy... simply a man that does not have convictions.

Here is the thing... when you join the service, regardless of what your ideas of what you joined for, you joined to be... and in the literal sense, a killer for your nation's will. You are trained in that art, before you are even trained in your prospective job while in the service.. this is to let you know, that you are of skills which could be used if called upon.

If you didn't want it, don't join. If you didn't understand it, you are an idiot. If you have feelings of peace, go join one of those organizations. Not a military. He should not have joined in the first place. He should of joined the peace corps, the merchant marines, the Red Cross, or whatever organization of flowers and whey which James is affiliated with that believes the death of your broken comrades is one of disdain... whatever. BUT the service was not meant for him.

Its really one of the reasons which I hated it when people say that its a place to get my head straight, or find opportunity, or whatever stupid promo which they try to recruit soldiers with. When war comes, and when they have the unique experience of watching a soldier recite the Lord's prayer just before he is shot to death, or an enemy praying to Allah as you shoot him, or forget the prayers, simply have to remove all hostiles... the last thing you need is Billy over there going... 'I don't wanna'

Since I don't look at Fox News, and have a general 'frack' you towards all of their so called reporters or hosts... so I would not watch it.

Yeah I heard about it... but that was not the problem which I had with the war... and I really don't mind them having WMDs or any other sovereign nation.. its their right