Black Education / Schools : American History is not Black History; Black History is not America’s

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

American History is not Black History; Black History is not America’s

As taught in mainstream culture, American history propagates this nation as the womb of freedom, justice and liberty. There are American creation myths as exemplified by the “Founding Fathers.” There are founding documents as revered as biblical texts for their promise of “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”

That is why the argument that “Black history is American history” is naïve to the point of insipidity. For most of this nation’s history, Blacks were not “Americans.” First, we were owned, and then we were barred from exercising the rights of citizenship. That’s why our history puts the lie to American history’s mainstream myths ...

http://diverseeducation.com/article/69942/

[​IMG]

Leonce Gaiter

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Ebony Awareness Bowl teaches middle school students black history not addressed in mainstream courses

... The annual Robert I. Mayes Sr. Ebony Awareness Bowl engages middle and junior high school students across the Tulsa area in a competition of black history facts taken from material that students study the previous month. Student teams represent their respective schools and compete against other schools in a format that mixes the game show “Jeopardy” with other typical quiz bowls ...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1...cle_9530875c-02cb-5a92-9b68-369828c776e0.html

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
  4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
  5. Storymaster

Storymaster Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    ...African American history is African American history. It is history that we dug up or had related to us in spite of White washed American History.
    American History is a genre, it is about the manifest destiny of America and it's founders vision, which we were not originally a part of in consideration of the Fabric. Nevertheless, we went through Slavery, Jim Crow Racist law for a century and decades ending in the fading out of the Civil rights, The Black Power, and the Black Muslim movements to some what better times......on to today where we are back into a another aspect of the Civil Rights movement with Police murder and the denial of due process.

...This is why we are not just Americans...Americans don't get profiled because they are considered to be the Fabric...we are like stitches in the fabric...binding. We hold together much that we are not credited for and have never been credited for willingly by America. These description are subjective...History is subjective. Our History has to be acknowledged as "part" of American History, but as people of color, what we do has to be considered and validated to become an active part of American history and then, here comes the comparisons. So I say there is American History that is selectively screened to tell a desired story by the majority. After "ONLY" 150 years of contentious freedom, that story is still being amended.

...due to Constitutional Freedoms which are meant to protect "ETHICALLY"... Americans from the majority continue to use those freedoms UNETHICALLY...that is the problem. When the Constitution is corrupted to protect evil intent and exclusivity, it just shows the stage of evolution that America has both reached and not reached. It is a puzzle when people believe that they are better...our saviors! Especially when they twist protection of ethics to mean protection of maligning hate and fear of change!

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Gaiter does an excellent job unpacking the ills of American History in juxtaposition to Black or African-American History. Central to his argument would be this excerpt:

"... For most of this nation’s history, Blacks were not “Americans.” First, we were owned, and then we were barred from exercising the rights of citizenship. That’s why our history puts the lie to American history’s mainstream myths."

7. Storymaster

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    whatever we do here is African American history or Black history if you
    ( not you ) prefer that term. The African American is not a separate being living in a different place, we are here! America may not expose what we do as American and really... are we American in the purest sense?...I say no and we shouldn't be.

...We are the descendants of slaves. They were not Americans, but they became Americans...African Americans. We are not Europeans...we are not the original White Anglo Saxon protestant. In the 1900's Europeans called White today, couldn't be White if you were not one of those. So we qualify our American - ness necessarily - because America the governmental entity and majority European Populated country is reluctant to acknowledge our part.

...We are either claiming this land as our home or not. If we are, then we are a part of America even from Slavery because we were building and surviving then too just as we are now! If we all mass exited the US and went back to Africa, we would be in pretty much the same proving situation because Africa's sense of ethnicity is the Tribe and we lost that history in Slavery. Some of us will definitely not leave and of all who might, many would not make the grade. I say this not in judgment, but in fact!

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Whether or not Black folk in America are in fact Americans, is not in dispute. American citizenship for descendants of slaves is irrevocable and irrefutable.

9. Storymaster

United States
    Ratings:
    +25
    ..when I say we are not Americans in the purest sense, I am talking about mutual country wide agreement...that is not the case here although no one can argue that our citizenship is confirmed and present...on paper and by any theory of law!

...like advocacy for equality and change, mutual nationality definitions cannot be legislated or enforced. It can be written and said by those who know as fully acknowledge truth. We African Americans are not all on the same page about "Black", about "African American" or about "American" so IMO...until we get closer to consensus we cannot be "full" Americans in any sense. The American tendency is to be that hybrid who has no ethnic connection to any other nationality as if we were miraculously created here in this Hybrid culture. America has a superiority complex Racially and humanistically.
    I know I cannot see I my lifetime EVER being just an American and I don't see that as separatist, anti national or divisive. I see that as a concrete reality that I didn't create.

...We are ( those who accept our ancestral culture ) truly a mix of the two in fact. We are culturally and linguistically American. That's a national imprint not an ethnic reality for majority African blooded people.We are also ( new world ) African culturally and we have African genetics and instincts that align us with our African counterparts. That is Diaspora. In just 150 years after 250peak years of African concentrated Slavery, it is just not real to act like our African part is null and void because this country who does not accept us has a problem with our view of ourselves and the fact that we insist on the hyphenated American label as a means of strong identification and historical placement.

The other question is, although we are American Citizens. There is no doubt that there is the very real possibility that we will never ( as a group ) accept the "just American" label. We are battling now with "Black American"
    ( which I reject as Racial color casting ) and African American which I see as a concrete reality. Our citizenship has been a qualified one from Emancipation on to today. We have an African American President and he is just as maligned as any other African American. So IMO the American label while technically firm on paper is not a full living reality for us and for European Americans it is written - American was founded as a free White society...so being "just an American" is not even an issue that has any weight for me. It is what it is!

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Black folk in America are both African American and Black American, undeniably. We seek a collective mind-set that will one day lead to our deserved freedoms, tantamount to a quality of life currently experienced by a group of people that are truly free, if any.