Pan Africanism : American Abolitionist WERE NOT freedom fighter for continental E. Africans

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dustyelbow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Oct 25, 2005
    I got this off another group

For more detail get co-author Anne Farrow book Complicity.

I recently saw a television program about this author and this is what she said based on how fast I can write.

Before the railroad was utilized in the Western world, 1850, some technological innovations were made such as the "wind saw" which helped shape a hideous demand in East Africa for elephant tusks which the European calls "ivory." Ivory was used before this point for making combs. But that ugly middle class "must have" changed all this with the "piano". This all started in a small New England town in Connecticut .

Just a sum of what I got from the Internet

Now, she said at least 2 million captured continental Africans died for elephant tusk demand. Captured continental Africans were taken from their villages forcefully to supply middle class Victorain America and European wanting to play a tune on the piano. Captured continent Africans had to endure a walk of 700 to 800 miles with huge payloads to the coast of East Africa and Zanzibar. Many did not make it and died. Those that did survive, DID NOT GET ANY BREAKS, and was sold to the Middle East and India to work on tea, spice, and other plantations. She also noted that David Livingston knew what was going on and DID NOTHING.

At this time in America the abolitionist movement was in full steam. New England states such a Connecticut was abolitionist hotbed to halt slavery in the south. These same white abolitionist were thourougly invovled with the ivory piano trade. Even one of the top abolitionist said,

In all she states something like "Abolisitionist had no conscience of continental captured African people to supplying ivory to the East coast of Africa for pianos."

There is more but relegated to the North and Northern states of the US. I just want to say that this is a very important piece for Africa. And should be added to this fine history collection here.

More to come.