Black People Politics : America is the Fall before Rome

The rise and fall of America’s ‘policy entrepreneurs’

Over more than four decades, Rivlin — who died in May at age 88 — served as the first director of the Congressional Budget Office, the deputy director and then director of the Office of Management and Budget and the vice chair of the Federal Reserve Board. She authored many reports and was deeply engaged in the problems of the District, to some in this town, she was known affectionately as “the queen of Washington’s budget wonks.”

By Robert J. Samuelson
Columnist

TURWUITWPEI6TPJFZGEVKXTXMY.jpg

Alice Rivlin testifies before the House Financial Services Committee on Oct. 21, 2008. (Haraz N. Ghanbari/Associated Press)

In college, many, many years ago, I read Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". I recently re-read it, and the things I passed over in my twenties now leap off the page at me. I love my country, but it is falling, step by step, just as Rome did, and for many of the same reasons. Why can't people learn from history?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back