Black People : AMERICA IS NOT A GREAT COUNTRY: STOP SAYING IT

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by DA BROTHER LOVE, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DA BROTHER LOVE

DA BROTHER LOVE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Youve heard it all the time, usually on propangda driven programs or by the well to do people that live in America. If you ask them they will tell you.... "America is a great country to live in... We love this country.... This is the best country in the world... blah blah blah" The moment I realized that this ideology was getting out of hand, was when I heard this from a 40 year old crackhead. Now I am starting to see this kind of talk in a whole new way. Is it possible that all this talk is just alot of brainwash rhetoric that we have been trained to think?

Is America really so wonderful as everyone thinks? Wonderful to who? What is it about America that the average person claims to love so much?

The American social order is not based anything except superficial qualities and class. In most cases, people's success has nothing to do with their mind or their talents, it is about your class, or what neighborhood you were born into, or how much money your parents make. Think about the oppressed minority in this country. There are those who may have been born with some of the best talents and gifts that this country has to offer, yet because of the conditions they were born to, their chances of success are significantly less than say the D average child of a politician. Like the child born into poverty. If you can follow me for a second, just imagine that you are an A student living in a high crime community where crack cocaine is as common as Starbucks coffee, and police brutality occurs so much that its not even a shock to its citizens anymore. You have been rountinely desensitive to violence, and because of the high rate of unemployment, your father reluctantly begins to sell crack, and shortly after he is caught, and is locked up on a drug offense. Your mother is in and out of rehab. These are arguably problems that may have never have been so likely if COINTELPRO had never allowed drugs to enter into the US. Now, this situation may be a little exaggerated, but I believe that you grasp the idea that I am getting across to you. I am not saying that it is not impossible for a poverty stricken child to get out of poverty, it is just the plain fact that it is considerably more odds are more against minorities. Granted there is a certain amount of personal responsilibilty that goes into account, but ultimately the FACT is that America's government routinely practices tyranny over its minorities.

In a country that works so hard to make sure the monorities never blossom, is it really fair for everybody to say that this is a beautiful country? Beautiful to WHO? Has it been beautiful to you? WHy do you think so? I can see somebody saying this is a beautiful country if you are enjoying the American dream. If I was the descendant of a plantation owner that grew up in a 100,000 home all my life and never knew the meaning of struggle, in a neighborhood where the crime rate is remarkably low, and my biggest worry was which car am I gonna drive to the mall, then I could see how one might say this is a great country.

But to those that routinely battle the everyday vices of oppresion, who have had to fight this "wonderful government" for the freedoms that are God Given, how could you say this is a wonderful country? It may be wonderful for the rich, but just because somebody else made it big does not make America a great coutnry. Just because Bill Gates is rich, does not mean that America will do the same for everyone else.

Malcolm X said it best in one of his speeches when he said, If you are sitting at a dinner table with a group of people, and everybody is eating except you, then you can not be called a "diner". You may be sitting at the table, but you are not "dining" because you havent eaten yet, you could never be considered a "diner" like the rest of the people that are eating.

You cannot call yourself an American unless you have experienced the American Dream.

You cannot say this is a beautiful country unless the country has been beautiful to you.

Do not get me wrong, I believe that America has the POTENTIAL to be a great country. I believe that the concept of America is a great concept in theory, but until it has been fully realized, I strongly believe that the oppressed minorities and especially blacks need to stop reciting speeches from tourist brochures, stop saying what you dont mean, in claiming this is such a wonderful country if you havent got your piece of American pie.

PS... To those who wish to respond to this piece by saying the rountine "If you dont like America, then get out".... Keep your UN-American sentiments to yourself.

2. That Jones Boy

That Jones Boy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Agree entirely

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    america is not...

she could be,america is like a beautiful woman...with zits all over her face[racism-war-poverty-crime]now instead of taking a medicine to clear up those zits she just keeps picking at em and in most cases making them worse.

4. asimplepoet

asimplepoet Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +229
    American is that child that had so much potential but never choose to live up to it. Instead she got caught up with all kind of vices (racism-war-poverty-crime-immorality) and let them corrupt her beyond redemption. But yet there is still hope for America. It wil take much prayer and lots of hard work but America could one day be beautiful and trully the land of the free.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    America has no more hope in it. It is on the decline due to her own arrogance, inhumanity and white supremist mentality. Those who see anything differently are indeed sufferring from myopia and historical lack of information regarding the rise and fall of civilizations.

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I think it's possible to still see some beauty in something even if it might be deeply hidden underneath some ugliness. It goes against my nature to give in or give up hope about anything without a good fight, particularly if I think it's worth the fight. Without hope, you perish. America is where I live, it's where I choose to be at this time in my life. There are lots of things I like about America. There are lots of things I don't like about it too. But I have to keep in mind, that America is made up of people and it's the people that influence how we think of ourselves and what others think of us. The government's politics were based on a democracy....its monetary system was built on the concept of free enterprise. The preamble to The Constitution of the United States of America reads:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

True, in theory this sounds good, great...wonderul....it brought people from around the world to American shores. But in practice, Black people in particular know that it doesn't work ng for all of the country's citizens and "we" know all too well the reason why.

But still, I ask, WHO is WE in the Preamble? Is WE everybody that lives in America? Are Black people a part of "WE"? If not, why not? Does it include citizens who vote and those who don't vote? Is WE only white people? Is WE the rich and the poor? Is WE all parents including single mothers and fathers? Is WE rappers and gangbangers? Is WE the homeless and destitute? Exactly WHO is America and what is so wrong with liking where you live even if you don't like everything about where you live? Isn't it okay to like something even if you can still see some flaws in it?

Exactly WHAT is the American Dream? Baseball, popcorn and mom's apple pie?

Usually when you don't like something what do you do? America may not be the BEST place to live, but I don't see the population density decreasing, even among African Americans.

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    America? Where We choose to live...or was it horrendous circumstances that forced our choice? America? To and for who? Are we speaking of the original inhabitants that are still locked away on reservations for the prosperity of others ? "We The People"? Which people? Did We The People help frame that constitution or were Ours busy doing something else? In theory it worked out perfectly for those who framed it...in theory and in practice.

America?...SOME flaws? If the very foundation of a house is not stable or properly established, everybody knows that the house must be torn down and redone. If it isn't, the house will fall with everyone in it. Is this not the fate of America? White people ain't about to let anyone tear it down to be rebuilt...for to do so would not be to their advantage.

Oh yes, we speak of the joys and the greatness of America, but the illusion is just that...an illusion. Every foreigner comes here for one purpose...to make money and go back home. But then, why is their "home so poor economically?" Maybe we the people should ask America?

There is no such thing as American Culture. It does not exist. Name us something American...is it apple pie or baseball? I know we can exclude the apple pie, and you really don't want to know anything about the origin of baseball...okay, so they replaced black peoples heads with real balls, does that make it American?

Where is the citizen? Which black person in America is a citizen by legal law? Surely it can't be ours when we are still depending on WE THE PEOPLE to give us EQUAL RIGHTS. Is America worth the fight? Did not Katrina teach us anything? Did not the creation of Aids teach us anything? Did not the creation of crack by the government which they flooded in our communities teach us anything?
    Did not the creation of new laws to criminalize and fill the prisons with our children teach us anything?

Did not the assassination of our shining leaders teach us anything? Did not the infecting of 24 million people in Africa by the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION in Atlanta teach us anything? I am still rubbing my eyes to see the America that you speak of. My soul cries and yet understands exactly what and why you see what you see, what and why you love what you love...what and why you have hope in the hopeless.

Truth be told...America is becoming a victim of Karma, of Maat, of "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you". All the energy that America has sent out into the world since its inception is coming back upon her and there is nothing WE THE PEOPLE can do to stop it. It is Universal law or the law of retribution in play, and there is literally no way to stop it.

You may like or love America...and I have learned that it's extremely possible for the tormentor and the tormented to have a relationship and learn to like it. I have even met children who were so used to getting whippings that when they did not get one, they thought their parents did not love them anymore.

WE THE [email protected] People ?? ....RIGHT !!

8. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

Very eloquent. But given all that you've said, may I humbly ask...in what country do YOU live?

9. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161

What was the question again?

10. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    A simple one really.

My ancestors were forced to be here; I am not.

I would sound rather weak if I were to rail on about how I'm stuck in a hopelessly burning house because my ancestors were forced into it 400 years ago...especially I if woke up and realized there is absolutely NOTHING stopping me from opening the door and walking out.

There is no argueing America has many flaws, the question remains if we believe all that we say it is NOT then WHY are we still here.

If Keita made that whole post from another country I could respect it.