Black People : America~did I miss that thread

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by truetothecause, Dec 13, 2009.

1. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    So, there has been much discussion here and other places about the movie Precious. I have the movie here yet have not watched it. I did however, watch a movie called "America" this morning.

I've not heard any discussion about this. This may be because it seems to originated on Lifetime vs. the big screen. It is now a dvd and seemed to come out in Sept. in that format.

Here is a link to more info about it.
    From the link we get this....Dr. Maureen Brennan (Rosie O'Donnell), a psychiatrist at a youth treatment center, encounters her newest patient, a 16-year-old biracial boy named America. Through their sessions, Dr. Brennan helps America come to terms with his roller-coaster life, which began when he was taken by authorities from his crack-addicted mother and placed into foster care as an infant. In this emotional story, Dr. Brennan works to help him open up about his painful past and discover the support and courage he needs to get his life back on track. This Lifetime Original Movie is based on the book “America” by E.R. Frank.

As I read this AFTER viewing the movie, I did not glean from it that he was "bi-racial". There was a scene early on that talked about him being "too dark" and relegated to live and be cared for by Ms. Harper (Ruby Dee).

While the movie Precious focused on black females, parental abuse and the saving grace of light skinned Lesbian women in Social Services, America is about a black male whose mother was hooked on crack, placed in foster care system, sexually abused by the black male parent figure and the saving grace of white females.

Anyone else seen this movie; America:?:

M.E.
    :hearts2:

2. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Never heard

of this movie and doubt I'll watch it now..particulary since you said Rosie is in it..I dont like her as a person..

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Rosie O'Donnell!?

Rosie O'Donnell!?

Isn't she gay?

What is this with the BLACK EXPLOITATION with this Gay stuff!? Why are they trying to put this 'gay right....free choice...' on the Black/African Americans...as if we had a choice to be born African?

Why are they using this particular time under a 'Black Presidency' to try and paint a picture that being Black/African and being Gay...incestuous (female & male parent) ...molesting...rape...is apart of our culture...

...And they are using dysfunctional Black people to put this sick message out against our African humanity!!!

No, I have no interest in seeing the movie Precious or America, but I do intend to stay focused and support others like you that do have the will power to see it and criticize this evil in order to keep us informed.

Thank you for this post.

4. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks for checking the thread and responding :toast:

This movie was akin to Precious and I thought it is interesting how we watch and discussed the dynamics and messages in that movie yet when it comes to the Male version of the same......

silence:10500:
    Greetings and Thanks to you as well :toast:
    It is interesting how NOW ...these stories are coming to light, that we have a Black President.

And....those "dysfunctional Black people"..who are they:?: except you, me, she and he.

These stories are REAL...the People are REAL...and many of 'them' are RIGHT HERE behind these computer screens. Yet, it is NOT SAFE to tell the stories when./if someone is screaming at you with labels, ridicule etc.

The greatest 'evil' of all as I see and experience it is our seeming refusal to LISTEN TO LEARN AND LEARN TO LISTEN to each others real life experience, pain and shame. All those "negatives" that we are encouraged to ignore. This is important as I see it because it gives the opportunity to externalize it and clean it up and secondly, they are not forced to rely on those in the "system" to assist them.
    Therapy works because of the relationship that is developed. Relationships based in a desire to listen without judgment, ridicule or TELLING people what they "should" do, what's "wrong" with them etc. Relationships where COMPASSION is expressed...compassion for the pain and sorrow that feeds hopelessness. Ask questions seeking to KNOW the person...that is the greatest benefit of 'therapy' AND...it DOES work when one works it.

We don't have to "suffer in silence" cause that ish WILL find a way out...one way or another!

And just for the record....when this is done, I/We get to CELEBRATE the joys of healing having sifted through a lot of ish and Recovered the Diamonds and jewels buried within one's experiences!

M.E.

5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    They've done that for a long time. In fact, people seem to think because we've been under oppression, that we are obligated to embrace any kind of behavior and thinking thrown our way.

6. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Greetings Blaklinoness!

While IT'S TRUE that we are not "obligated" to practice some jacked up behaviors, I've found it to be equally True that many HAVE and CONTINUE to do so.

I have an image I plan to share depicting a infant wearing a "frontlace" wig. The child is @ 3-6 months old! I wonder who threw THAT our way?

I'm saying is ....**** HAPPENS..and at some point, if it goes unchecked and unacknowledged...it's likely to continue. Same way with our oppression!

and....I DO see the many themes of child sexual abuse and propogation and promotion of homosexuality AND an EXPLOITATION of the pain we've experienced. While they are getting 'paid', I don't think that money is going to fund programs like R.N.A. :em2300:

Something that could offer SOLUTIONS to the problematic behaviors.

So NO we are not 'obligated' to continue to practice the ish done to us by them (white folk), yet, we are OBLIGATED to deal with the FACT OF THE MATTER now that we know.

M.E.

7. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I'm not talking about practicing the behavior but embracing it. I know people practice the behaviors, and more often than not don't bother understanding the real reasons they exist. What I'm talking about is people thinking that because we've lived under the gun for so long that we somehow become obligated to embrace certain modes of thinking and behavior.

8. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    I'm not following

what the difference is.

Please will you help me understand what you mean by "embrace" it and/or being "obligated" to it in this context.

How is that different for you then "practicing" it?

M.E.

9. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ok....people (gay, white, asian, religious, non-religious, etc.) know that collectively we've been oppressed. From that experience, they make the leap that we are and should be tolerant of any type of lifestyle and behavior. I remember once many years ago, for example, this white woman telling me how shocked she was to discover that Black people didn't collectively embrace, or support, homosexual lifestyle choices because of our own experiences with racial oppression. She didn't mean that she believed all Black people were gay, as you don't necessarily have to practice a particular lifestyle in order to provide emotional support to it. Hopefully that's clear.

10. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    OK!

Yes that is clear. Crystal Clear!
    Thanks for Sharing :toast:
    It is funny how they make those leaps ain't....funny in a sick sorta way...as in ...sickening

M.E.