river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey Fambly,

Sorry I snuck off. Thought I had told a couple people I was going to the Big Apple for a few days.

I was in Jamaica, Queens (or Queens, Jamaica, I can never remember which it is) last week and I say the most amazing thing. I went down to Jamaica avenue to do some shopping. Bing here in Texas for six years and having spent twenty two years in California it's been a long time since I 'd seen so many Black people. It was tryuly wonderful but what I noticed was all the Blacks were consumers. No Black shop keepers to be found. I went in several stores and none of them had a dressing room to try on the clothes because they claimed they had such a bad problem with shop lifting. I told my aunt well let's at least find a store where theyre is at least one Black person working there. She pointed out the one and only African store. We went in and there was a couple African brothers running the store. I saw a beautiful dress and asked how muych it was. I shouldn't have asked. $250!!! IThat was almost as much as I paid to get to New York in the first place for one dress.

Can we do something besides being consumers in stores where we are not respected?

yea jamaica, queens

Hey Fambly,

Sorry I snuck off. Thought I had told a couple people I was going to the Big Apple for a few days.

I was in Jamaica, Queens (or Queens, Jamaica, I can never remember which it is) last week and I say the most amazing thing. I went down to Jamaica avenue to do some shopping. Bing here in Texas for six years and having spent twenty two years in California it's been a long time since I 'd seen so many Black people. It was tryuly wonderful but what I noticed was all the Blacks were consumers. No Black shop keepers to be found. I went in several stores and none of them had a dressing room to try on the clothes because they claimed they had such a bad problem with shop lifting. I told my aunt well let's at least find a store where theyre is at least one Black person working there. She pointed out the one and only African store. We went in and there was a couple African brothers running the store. I saw a beautiful dress and asked how muych it was. I shouldn't have asked. $250!!! IThat was almost as much as I paid to get to New York in the first place for one dress.

Can we do something besides being consumers in stores where we are not respected?

yea that strip from parsons blvd to about 169th st?
yea WE don't own anything, and african come in but they don't see us as equals, no dressing rooms because of shopping lifting over there, you can't steal if you can't hide lol, i'm quite sure the was a black security guard working in one of them stores you could have got a $20 dress lol

i'm feeling you sis river

welcome back

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back