Black People : Amazing Things I Saw in New York

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey Fambly,

Sorry I snuck off. Thought I had told a couple people I was going to the Big Apple for a few days.

I was in Jamaica, Queens (or Queens, Jamaica, I can never remember which it is) last week and I say the most amazing thing. I went down to Jamaica avenue to do some shopping. Bing here in Texas for six years and having spent twenty two years in California it's been a long time since I 'd seen so many Black people. It was tryuly wonderful but what I noticed was all the Blacks were consumers. No Black shop keepers to be found. I went in several stores and none of them had a dressing room to try on the clothes because they claimed they had such a bad problem with shop lifting. I told my aunt well let's at least find a store where theyre is at least one Black person working there. She pointed out the one and only African store. We went in and there was a couple African brothers running the store. I saw a beautiful dress and asked how muych it was. I shouldn't have asked. $250!!! IThat was almost as much as I paid to get to New York in the first place for one dress.

Can we do something besides being consumers in stores where we are not respected?

YungMiss

Jul 11, 2008
West Coastin'
Occupation
Student
Thats true but im sure there were all kinds of people who have shop lifted in those stores. Stealing isn't nice so maybe those store owners wouldnt have to be like that if people didnt steal. What makes theifs think they deserve things for free when other people work to earn them?

Da Street So'ja

Banned
Jun 11, 2001
where failure is not an option
Occupation
thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
yea jamaica, queens

Hey Fambly,

Sorry I snuck off. Thought I had told a couple people I was going to the Big Apple for a few days.

I was in Jamaica, Queens (or Queens, Jamaica, I can never remember which it is) last week and I say the most amazing thing. I went down to Jamaica avenue to do some shopping. Bing here in Texas for six years and having spent twenty two years in California it's been a long time since I 'd seen so many Black people. It was tryuly wonderful but what I noticed was all the Blacks were consumers. No Black shop keepers to be found. I went in several stores and none of them had a dressing room to try on the clothes because they claimed they had such a bad problem with shop lifting. I told my aunt well let's at least find a store where theyre is at least one Black person working there. She pointed out the one and only African store. We went in and there was a couple African brothers running the store. I saw a beautiful dress and asked how muych it was. I shouldn't have asked. $250!!! IThat was almost as much as I paid to get to New York in the first place for one dress.

Can we do something besides being consumers in stores where we are not respected?
yea that strip from parsons blvd to about 169th st?
yea WE don't own anything, and african come in but they don't see us as equals, no dressing rooms because of shopping lifting over there, you can't steal if you can't hide lol, i'm quite sure the was a black security guard working in one of them stores you could have got a $20 dress lol

i'm feeling you sis river

welcome back

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
candeesweet Black Poetry : Amazing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : This Great-Grandmother Turned 100 and Looks Absolutely Amazing Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Chevron Dove Black Christians : THE AMAZING OLIVE TREE Christian Study Group 2
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : 100 Amazing facts about the Negro AACOOLDRE 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Ivanhoe Reservoir Covered With 400,000 Black Plastic Balls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Bunda Cliffs in Australia: Is this the End of the World? Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places:Lauterbrunnen: The Valley of 72 Waterfalls Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Seagaia Ocean Dome: An Artificial Beach in Japan Black Travel 0
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: The Mysterious Patomskiy Crater Black Travel 3
Black Phoenix Black Travel : Amazing Places: Balos Beach, Greece Black Travel 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Picture Image Gallery : 40 amazing black artists to watch in 2014 Black Picture Image Gallery 2
OldSoul Audio Video Web Conferencing : Amazing Grace - Wintley Phipps Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Did you know "Amazing Grace" was written by slave-trader / slave-owner - John Newton? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 59
noor100 Black Muslims : Amazing Pictures Islam Study Group 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People Politics : Dr. Benjamin Carson's Amazing Speech at the National Prayer Breakfast with Obama P Black People Politics 1
Chevron Dove Chevron Dove : From the Amazing Technology of Today... Chevron Dove 0
S Ethiopia : ANCIENT MATH of ETHIOPIA - Amazing Methods of Calculation Ethiopia 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Amazing 108 Years Old and Healthy! Part 1 of 3 Black People Open Forum 2
L Black People : Amazing Film of Revolution Now Taking Place in Americas Black People Open Forum 1
Amnat77 Black Entertainment : Amazing Child Drummers! Black Entertainment 0
Amnat77 Black People : Chi Energy Amazing Footage Black People Open Forum 0
baller Quiet Poetry Lounge : His Amazing Grace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
asimplepoet Black Poetry : Amazing Grace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Sha'iyn Black Entertainment : the undeniable, untouchable, universally-accepted, angelic, amazing and immortal... Black Entertainment 0
G Black People : Whitewashing the Slave Trade -An Amazing Disgrace Black People Open Forum 0
D Black People : amazing pictures of black and white twin babies!!!!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : Amazing How The Power Of The Mind Is Misunderstood When We Do Not Know Self !!! Chief Elder Osiris 0
Therious Black People : A TRULY AMAZING STORY Black People Open Forum 1
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Amazing Grace Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 39
T Black Poetry : She Was Amazing! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
V Black Poetry : Amazing Grace Remix Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
Akilah Black Haiku : Amazing Love Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
A Black People : 20 Amazing Facts About Voting in the USA... Black People Open Forum 7
A Black People : This is Simply Amazing!! Black People Open Forum 13
M Black Poetry : SO AMAZING Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Isaiah Black Sports : MR. BARRY BONDS... AMAZING GRACE! Black Sports 5
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Its Amazing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Amazing grace.. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
ASHANTA Black Poetry : Amazing Grace How Sweet The Taste Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
S Black Poetry : Amazing Grace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
T Black Poetry : Amazing Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
N Black Poetry : Amazing Black Woman (SOULOFASISTA - Series) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 19
N Black Poetry : My Amazing Grace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
HODEE African American History Culture : Slavery in the US: Here are seven things you probably didn't know - were connected to slavery African American History Culture 0
C Black People : How Can You Speak Truth About Hate Without Speaking Truth About The Hateful Things Done By Hating People??? Black People Open Forum 0
Angela22 Black Sports : Big Things for the Big Easy Black Sports 0
Ndugu Black People : the Gullah people were facing Gentrification / Florence made things worse Black People Open Forum 4
R Black Poetry : Wear great bling clever just to make things better around his neck strange and wild how he changed m Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
HODEE Black People Politics : 6 big things the new Veterans Affairs chief will have to address Black People Politics 1
R Black Poetry : Tell a phat story about bling in the category of things // Such as the fury of jewelry and wedding r Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0