Black Spirituality Religion : Amazing Grace

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Fine1952, May 11, 2006.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Humph, and to think all this time, I've been singing the song of a former slavemaster, that's messed up. And to think I wanted this song played at my funeral---not!

I re-read this so-called belove hymn thru my African conscious/awareness eyes and had an epiphany: this is just further evidence of how we were brainwashed and hand fed Eurocentric low-key spirtuality during slavery -- which totally lacks the African God Consciousness of spirituality!

http://www.todayinliterature.com/assets/portraits/n/john-newton-200x304.jpg
    The conception of the hymn “Amazing Grace” is that of John Newton who was responsible for writing one of the most beloved hymns of all times.

He was a British man who became a hymn writer and clergyman after several years as a naval midshipman and a slave trader. On a homeward voyage, while sailing his slave ship through a violent storm, he experienced what he referred to later as his “great deliverance.” For the rest of his life he observed the anniversary of May 10 as the day of his conversion, a day of humiliation in which he subjected his will to a higher power.

He was ordained and became a curate at Olney Buckinghamshire. Amazing grace was part of his first publication in 1779.

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
    That sav'd a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found,
    Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
    And grace my fears reliev'd;
    How precious did that grace appear,
    The hour I first believ'd!

Thro' many dangers, toils and snares,
    I have already come;
    'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
    And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis'd good to me,
    His word my hope secures;
    He will my shield and portion be,
    As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
    And mortal life shall cease;
    I shall possess, within the veil,
    A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
    The sun forbear to shine;
    But God, who call'd me here below,
    Will be forever mine....

Reference:
    Wikimedia Foundation
    204 37th Avenue North Suite330
    St. Petersburg, FL. 33704

2. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    And it was written in the key he heard from below decks!:cry:

3. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Slowly

Correct you are, and though most Xtians won't read this post it is important to note that in verse one it says:

Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
    That sav'd a wretch like me!

The use of the word "wretch" definitely implies that it is written with Black Slaves in mind. The word "wretch" means:

1. A miserable, unfortunate, or unhappy person.
    2. Person regarded as base, mean, or despicable: “a stony adversary, an inhuman wretch” (Shakespeare).

You neeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvver heard Whites proclaim themselves as "miserable" or "despicable" during slavery when they were about the business of dehumanizing our black nation. It would be extremely "shall I say unintelligent" to think otherwise.

At the time, we had to have been totally/mentally defeated to recite A SONG AS CRASS as this without analyzing its meaning. For that matter, It took 100 years of lynchings, beatings and rapes for us to call on Jesus when the internal God/Goddess actually never left our side.

In conclusion, we "are" a great people -- not a wretched people. For if we were not great, we would not be alive to tell the world that our ancestors built the pyramids, Her-em-akhet and ALL of the other ancient megaliths throughout the Worl

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Excellent thread Sistah!

Except, in regards to Christians reading this - If it is truthful enough [to their minds], it will come back to them, even as they deny it.

Keep teaching!

CD

5. Fine1952

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    You are wise in your own right...

for saying:

"Except, in regards to Christians reading this - If it is truthful enough [to their minds], it will come back to them, even as they deny it."

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    All I can say is-

THEY WHO SPEAK WISE SPEAK GREAT THINGS!"

Wise-dom is just like that imaginary fantasy of valuable goods falling from the sky-

Throughout your lifetime, you get as much of it as possible as it comes from time to time, even to the point where you will 'hug the surface' to get more, just to show yourself and everyone else how much you desire it!

You'll never be surprised by how many people 'hug' the surface(s) of Heaven on earth!

Also, with Wise-dom, the deeper you get into it, the more you scoop out, the more POWERFUL you are likely to become, so long as you put it to good use! (Remember - It's not what you know [or you dis-cover]; it's what you do with what you know [or dis-cover]!)

With that in mind, I will let your MIND (Most Intuitive Nerve Department) think on those things!

Peace Beloved (Real Talk)

CD06

7. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Great info!
    I never liked this song.
    When I would hear it at funerals,
    it reminded me of slavery.

8. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Huh? I don't understand?

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    As my Destee Family Member, you have my absolute permission to do so. As a matter of fact, I encourage you to do it! All I ask from you is that you continue to help our young people to better understand themselves, and grow stronger everyday in doing so! Believe it or not, it will stick with at LEAST 1 of them for as long as they live!

Peace,

CD06 (By the way, I thank you for your recognition)

"EACH 1 TEACH 2 AND REACH 3-4 MORE!"

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    If it is true to them, even if they deny it, they will not forget it; it will come back to them. That is what I was saying. If the message being sent is strong enough, the Christian will not forget it. Sistah Fine'e message. I feel that you may be a Chrsitian, so I hope you do not take this personal. As a matter of fact, taking things personal is what keeps us :argue: with each other, which is one of the reasons I seek to avoid it.

In no way, shape, did I seek to insult the Christian mind, nor did I intend to arouse suspicion; I am just simply responding to Sistah Fine's post.

CD06