Black Authors : Amateur author seeks discussion

Hate to rain on your parade. I can not write in a woman's voice. I can only write in a way I think they would think and feel. If I'm a decent writer, that's good enough

If you have a wife or a girlfriend it's a pretty safe bet you could write a female convincingly:)

Writing in a man's voice is easy. Writing in the voice of another culture is more complicated.

My personal agenda is to show that we are human. Diverse. Flawed. I want to do so in a way that's realistic which means gaining an understanding of how people from different backgrounds think. How they relate to one another and the world around them. Every person brings a unique perspective to the table. Tobias' unique perspective as a man who is bi will hopefully be more fleshed out later. I have a purpose for it. Just like every flower in nature has a bug with the perfect proboscis to pollinate it, so every character has their proper soul mate.

You are still missing the point. You are imposing your view on a culture where the evidence says, you're wrong. There is a reason blacks voted down prop 8 almost single handedly. Why do you think that is?

If you have a wife or a girlfriend it's a pretty safe bet you could write a female convincingly:)

Writing in a man's voice is easy. Writing in the voice of another culture is more complicated.

I can only write about my mom or sister from my point of view. Hopefully, I am observant enough to be spot on :11100:

It's not important in the larger picture of the story. It's important in character development and subplot. Something that can be used to comment on our own ideas or even create satire. It also creates tension and questions societal norms.

As far as Tobias being a specific race or of a certain sexual orientation, it's what defines his relationships. It's important to him. Anything important to him should be important to the reader also if the writer makes his character interesting, relatable, and human. Identifying with him shouldn't alienate anyone. Readers different from the character should see themselves in him. That's key.

You over estimate the reader. I've read 1 chapter or less before putting a book in the do not read pile at the library.

What's his story? What's the story about? Is the story line good and captures the readers attention before chapter two or 10 pages:) then you may have an audience.

Why will the audience identify with him?
Race and sexual preference is not a story line (been written about already)

What type of detective work does he do. Who are his clients. Does he have bisexual affairs with his clients.

Readers want a good read. That's the key. If this is a contest the judges want a good read.

What do you like to read? Have you read Black authors.

Reader not writer.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back