Black Authors : Amateur author seeks discussion

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
I am here because I'm a white woman who is writing a mystery with a black protagonist. I want him to be "real" and relatable. Not many authors cross racial lines - lines that shouldn't exist. I want to be able to realistically represent his culture and his mindset which is a tall order since I'm coming from ignorance. I've only had a few friends who were from a different racial background. Those that I've had the pleasure of knowing taught me a great deal. I hope to further add to this.
bad idea. really bad idea. you should write about what you know. black you don't know.

Phoenixbutterfly

May 7, 2016
I don't know mystery either.
bad idea. really bad idea. you should write about what you know. black you don't know.
I don't know mystery either. Meaning no disrespect, if I followed that advice, how exactly would that make me any better as a person? If I stick to what I know, I'll never grow. When I can write a novel in a black man's voice convincingly, will that not then mean that we can finally come together as humans? I'm not saying my first will be convincing.. I'm an amateur. But this is my goal... To be able to blur the lines of race and show that we truly are one people. We are humans and we should celebrate both our unity and our diversity. When authors step out of their own skins, then the world can begin to move away from the "us vs them". Otherwise, I'm just an over privileged white woman blind to the plight of the underprivileged.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
As have gotten my mind around your take on this group's alleged intent and purpose:

Always better and wiser to make sure you base it on the facts...not bad guesswork...

fyi

Destee Chat

Latest profile posts

Life is just a breath, but your works last forever.
@Destee
During this time, I wanna to wish everyone on this site the most blesseth and positive energy throughout
the rest of 2020 as we continue to persevere and raise awareness during this plandemic.
Continue to stay safe
and healthy. We're in the perfect time to self-care and boost our immune systems through at home remedies.
@Destee
I know this is my first status update since 2020 begin, but all of us agree that 2020 delivered a low-blow
to each of us with the miscellaneous events we have recently seen which brought all of us great displeasure.
Destee wrote on Joyce's profile.
Thanks for the Blessing! Love You! :kiss:
Making sure I do more than I did yesterday. Progress is the Concept.