Black Authors : Amateur author seeks discussion

Phoenixbutterfly

May 7, 2016
As an avid reader I would suggest not making the main character bi-sexual. He's a Black male detective. That is enough for the reader to follow.
Walter Mosely, a Black mystery writer, is the detective in his novels. You might want to skim through one of his early novels.
If you want to be inclusive, maybe make a character close to the main character bisexual. Tobis(sp) will be to busy with detective work to focus on who he's sexing (readers might close the book).
Since you do not know much about the Black race, why not include a character like yourself in the novel. Maybe Tobis friend or girlfriend or nosey neighbor. That way you can learn as you write. (Tobis gets annoyed with your interest in Black people, questions), but he likes you as a person and keeps you around. :)
You could describe identifying characters as you bring them in. That way race will not dominate.

Good luck.
Your ideas are good ones. Thank you.

Enki

The Evolved Amphibian
STAFF
Aug 27, 2010
The Third Plane of Existence
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Btw.. I'm interested in learning about the Annunaki. I'm a fan of Sitchin's work but am still researching a lot on my own.
Learning about the serpent race is an "each one teach one" type of deal. We share knowledge to increase what we know. It has been said that you have to forget what you have been taught about the history of world and how thing came to be.

Peace!

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Well here's the rundown on his character:

Hopefully I won't give away too much

His name is Tobias and he's a detective. This book plays with both race and gender issues so he's not only very dark skinned but also bi. He's a philanderer. As a detective he's a "good ol' boy" per their code but out in his everyday life he is either affected by racism or at least aware of it. I'm not sure if he's active in his community yet... His black identity is still being developed. I'm not interested in portraying him as a stereotypical black man.. Whatever that may be. I want him relatable and real. The way he talks, the way he thinks, the way he views the world. I don't want someone from this community to read it and think "no way was this written by a black author"

Specifics? I don't know enough to answer that. I'm ignorant of most of what's discussed here. I know that it's different but not exactly sure how to define that difference.

Why bisexual?

Why black as an identity? Normally, you write the character from a certain neighborhood or background. Yhe audience fills in the rest. How is that key to the story?

What difference does it make who wrote it?

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
I don't know mystery either.

I don't know mystery either. Meaning no disrespect, if I followed that advice, how exactly would that make me any better as a person? If I stick to what I know, I'll never grow. When I can write a novel in a black man's voice convincingly, will that not then mean that we can finally come together as humans? I'm not saying my first will be convincing.. I'm an amateur. But this is my goal... To be able to blur the lines of race and show that we truly are one people. We are humans and we should celebrate both our unity and our diversity. When authors step out of their own skins, then the world can begin to move away from the "us vs them". Otherwise, I'm just an over privileged white woman blind to the plight of the underprivileged.

Hate to rain on your parade. I can not write in a woman's voice. I can only write in a way I think they would think and feel. If I'm a decent writer, that's good enough

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Blacks as a rule, are anti gay. That's why we voted down prop 8. Is this your personal agenda?

Phoenixbutterfly

May 7, 2016
It's not important in the larger picture of the story. It's important in character development and subplot. Something that can be used to comment on our own ideas or even create satire. It also creates tension and questions societal norms.

As far as Tobias being a specific race or of a certain sexual orientation, it's what defines his relationships. It's important to him. Anything important to him should be important to the reader also if the writer makes his character interesting, relatable, and human. Identifying with him shouldn't alienate anyone. Readers different from the character should see themselves in him. That's key.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
It's not important in the larger picture of the story. It's important in character development and subplot. Something that can be used to comment on our own ideas or even create satire. It also creates tension and questions societal norms.

As far as Tobias being a specific race or of a certain sexual orientation, it's what defines his relationships. It's important to him. Anything important to him should be important to the reader also if the writer makes his character interesting, relatable, and human. Identifying with him shouldn't alienate anyone. Readers different from the character should see themselves in him. That's key.

Blacks as a rule are not into gayness. Thus, you would lose the audience you are trying to imitate/reach

IFE

Jan 20, 2015

As the reader, how will I know Tobias is bisexual?
As the reader why should I care. It's annoying and takes away from the story line, unless the story line is specifically about a bisexual detective.

I think you may be focusing to much on race and sexual orientation. Write about a man doing what he do regardless of race. Then you can decide if he's Black or white. I'm not a writer. I'm a reader who loves a good read.

There are Black writers that include diff races and sexuality in their books. Are you prepared to do that.
Eric J. Dickey started to include several diff races after writing several books. His last 3 fiction included several race. I was turned off. I haven't completed his last novel for that reason.
You may want to consider the judges of the contest your audience.

Phoenixbutterfly

May 7, 2016
Blacks as a rule, are anti gay. That's why we voted down prop 8. Is this your personal agenda?

My personal agenda is to show that we are human. Diverse. Flawed. I want to do so in a way that's realistic which means gaining an understanding of how people from different backgrounds think. How they relate to one another and the world around them. Every person brings a unique perspective to the table. Tobias' unique perspective as a man who is bi will hopefully be more fleshed out later. I have a purpose for it. Just like every flower in nature has a bug with the perfect proboscis to pollinate it, so every character has their proper soul mate.

Phoenixbutterfly

May 7, 2016
As the reader, how will I know Tobias is bisexual?
As the reader why should I care. It's annoying and takes away from the story line, unless the story line is specifically about a bisexual detective.

I think you may be focusing to much on race and sexual orientation. Write about a man doing what he do regardless of race. Then you can decide if he's Black or white. I'm not a writer. I'm a reader who loves a good read.

There are Black writers that include diff races and sexuality in their books. Are you prepared to do that.
Eric J. Dickey started to include several diff races after writing several books. His last 3 fiction included several race. I was turned off. I haven't completed his last novel for that reason.
You may want to consider the judges of the contest your audience.
Yes. That's my plan. His being bi is very obvious because it's a big part of his character. Theres a variety of races in this book too, but it's not intended to be a distraction. It's part of character development. What you read is the Windows version of a program written in code. As the writer I have to know everything about my character. You get to see 1/10 of what I have to know.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍
Fireman wrote on Queenie's profile.
Hi, Queenie. Love your posts. Even though I don't you, you must be some kind of remarkable and lovely person. Lets keep in touch.