Black Authors : Amateur author seeks discussion

Phoenixbutterfly

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 7, 2016
hi

I am here because I'm a white woman who is writing a mystery with a black protagonist. I want him to be "real" and relatable. Not many authors cross racial lines - lines that shouldn't exist. I want to be able to realistically represent his culture and his mindset which is a tall order since I'm coming from ignorance. I've only had a few friends who were from a different racial background. Those that I've had the pleasure of knowing taught me a great deal. I hope to further add to this.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Phoenixbutterfly

hi

I am here because I'm a white woman who is writing a mystery with a black protagonist. I want him to be "real" and relatable. Not many authors cross racial lines - lines that shouldn't exist. I want to be able to realistically represent his culture and his mindset which is a tall order since I'm coming from ignorance. I've only had a few friends who were from a different racial background. Those that I've had the pleasure of knowing taught me a great deal. I hope to further add to this.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
Phoenixbutterfly

Welcome again, glad to have you join us, Phoenixbutterfly.

Several questions concerning your proposed book:

Is the Black protagonist male or female?

(I did see this though - I want to be able to realistically represent his culture and his mindset) ... just being sure by asking.

Presuming this character is male, is there anything specific about his/her culture and mindset you wish to develop in a mystery novel?

Well here's the rundown on his character:

Hopefully I won't give away too much

His name is Tobias and he's a detective. This book plays with both race and gender issues so he's not only very dark skinned but also bi. He's a philanderer. As a detective he's a "good ol' boy" per their code but out in his everyday life he is either affected by racism or at least aware of it. I'm not sure if he's active in his community yet... His black identity is still being developed. I'm not interested in portraying him as a stereotypical black man.. Whatever that may be. I want him relatable and real. The way he talks, the way he thinks, the way he views the world. I don't want someone from this community to read it and think "no way was this written by a black author"

Specifics? I don't know enough to answer that. I'm ignorant of most of what's discussed here. I know that it's different but not exactly sure how to define that difference.

Well here's the rundown on his character:

Hopefully I won't give away too much

His name is Tobias and he's a detective. This book plays with both race and gender issues so he's not only very dark skinned but also bi. He's a philanderer. As a detective he's a "good ol' boy" per their code but out in his everyday life he is either affected by racism or at least aware of it. I'm not sure if he's active in his community yet... His black identity is still being developed. I'm not interested in portraying him as a stereotypical black man.. Whatever that may be. I want him relatable and real. The way he talks, the way he thinks, the way he views the world. I don't want someone from this community to read it and think "no way was this written by a black author"

Specifics? I don't know enough to answer that. I'm ignorant of most of what's discussed here. I know that it's different but not exactly sure how to define that difference.

Are you familiar with the movie and television series called, Shaft, or the song written by Issac Hayes?

All of the above reminds me of that movie, which could be helpful to you.

Shaftposter.jpg

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back