Black Spirituality Religion : Am I What I Think?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Jul 4, 2007.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    There are 3 reasons why I have to question this idea. Please correct me if I'm wrong but here are my reasons. On second thought, I'm not wrong but I welcome other perspectives.

1. I can change my mind. I don't have to go down to the DMV ofice to get a new ID card every time I change my mind. If I am what I think then a new thought equals a new me. I remember on my seventh birthday there was a click in my mind and I suddeny became aware of the fact that the people in my house were there for ME for MY birthday. Yet I still share the same conscious with the baby who stood up in my crib playing petty cake with my mother

2. Myy mind can be programmed by others. The mind is like a computer. The programs that sit on the operating system are separate and distinct from the mother board. I can install programs and delete them--some at will and others with a little difficulty. These programs have an effect on how the computer behaves and without them it does not behave in any wy. Yet they are not the computer

3. There is a part of me that stands back and judges my thoughts. This is what differentiates us from the lower animals. The lion who captures a zebra does not ask himself "Why am I doing this? This zebra didn't do anything to me and here I am inflicting pain on it. This is wrong. I wish I didn't have to do this." No Self can judge itself for how can that which cannot be perceived be judged? But the Self judges that which is outside the Self--namely, our thoughts, feelings, habits, desires.

There are many sectors of society which desire to install their programs into out minds so they can control what we buy, how we vote,what we believe, etc. They want us to believe that our thoughts are who we really are so that we will be unaware of the programing. If we identify with the programming we will protect it and cling to it for dear life thinking that if we let go of it we will be letting go of a part of who we are. And I gotta be me.

Once we become aware of the programming and separate ourselves from our thuoghts then we can begin reprogramming our minds--accepting and rejecting thoughts as we see fit.

2. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    BlacKTasTicaLLy Stated :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

On the Money!

3. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Everything you stated River proved that you were wrong.

You are what you think. Thought comes before anythnig else. If its your higher self you must have thought something before then. If its a computer you affecting you you must have thought something before hand to allow the computer to do so.

4. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    You must have a better understanding of the essence of who you are to understand what River said above we are not contray to popular belief our thoughts. Your thoughts come and go voluntaryly and unvoluntaryly. If you catch an extream image from a book your reading, TV, radio PC etc. the image could automatically replay in your head. against your will. It'll eventually stop if you willfully ignore it and focus on your normal affairs but by falsely believing you are your thoughts you can impose some serious or even extreme harm to self image. This has many a times lead to physical harm against ones self and in rare but increasingly more frequent cases the person harming others as well.

peace

5. Afru Shukuwr

Ratings:
    +61
    There are some things that come more than others against your will consciously.
    You have 2 or 3 different kinds of will. The will that you are conscious of or the will of you soul and then the will of your spirit. The will of our spirit is in action when you do things without thinking too long.
    But I know exactly what River is talking about. My stand is that something must have been thought or done before anything takes place whether voluntary or involuntary , for you or against you. It could have been thought years ago and you could not even remember at this time. Its deep. Really think about what Im saying.

6. hiphopolx

Ratings:
    +209
    Tell me in your own words about your 'conscious'. (not just a copy and paste definition from some where. Also in your own words tell me about your 'will'. The reason I ask this is because of this statement ' You have 2 or 3 different kinds of will.' The the understanding of these terms will also bring home the wisdom of what our Goddess River is bringing forth. (and maybe some more(wisdom/enlightment) by thinking synthetically as opposed to an analytical approach.
    :spinn:
    :peace:

7. Afru Shukuwr

Ratings:
    +61
    THOSE ARE MY OWN WORDS. NOW I CANT HELP IT IF THEIR ARE BOOKS THAT AGREE WITH ME. THERE IS CONSCIOUS, SUB CONSCIIOUS, AND SUPER CONCIENCE. AS I SEE IT IN THE SAME ORDER THE CONCCIOUSNESS ARE THE WILL OF THE SOUL, SPIRIT , AND OVER SOUL. ALL THREE CAN BE TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME. BUT THE OVER SOUL CAN WORK WITHOUTH THE SPIRIT AND SOUL AND SPIRIT CAN WORK WITHOUT THE SOUL.

8. hiphopolx

Ratings:
    +209
    peace Bro/Sis
    (I'd say God/Goddess but some are not ready to accept their true nature yet :) )

Our language often puts labels and terms on things that are essentially the same thing but may leave us to believe they are different but the real difference is in a manner of degrees or levels, for instance. When we say hot or cold we are talking about tempature, and we are describing subjectively what that one temperture is. A more objective approach would be asigning it a numerical value based on a reference point, such as 90 degrees or 20 below 0 degrees. Now my favorite example of this(where most ppl are confused about) is the category of things we consume such as food, drugs, and poison, Any of the latter descriptions can be assigned to anything we consume, for example asprin. It is usually taken as medicine but some doctors say you can consume it regularly (I cannot recall right now objectively how often, could be once a day) and as you know if taken too much this can be a poison, the same can be said with just about anything we consume some things like arsonic won't kill you if you consume a very minute dosage and somthing like water would take a large amount of to be considered poisonous. Now I will connect this to concsciousness and will. Consciousness and will are the same thing. And that is essentially what we are. Thoughts are what is willed by us and can be anything our will desires. But our thoughts are not us. Thoughts change. come and go.
    Our will/consciousness is eternal. The will is the same as consciousness but on the opposite sides of one spectrum. It is the same as matter and energy. Thoughts are gernerated. But what generates it? You do and you are consciousness. When you/consciousness take action it is a matter of will. What makes these things the same is the fact that they are completly immaterial and eternal unlike our finite thoughts. So if you are your thoughts then what was you before that thought? Besides the previous thought? You as consciousness have different levels of awareness that it operates on. If you are focusing on a small level(as opposed to an expanded one) you would be unaware of the other levels you must still operate on such as your involutary actions which you willed intuitly (you tapped in the knowlede within you) and those actions immediately became habit (actions you do without being aware of) This is normal. Our physical bodies are social creatures and thus are programmed to follow others which we do consciously and unconsciously. Certain levels of this program we are aware of and certain levels of this we still take action upon but we are unaware. We as divine beings are not slaves to these programs so if we need to go against it we can will it so. Some programs may seem harder to break than others but it can be done. So let me connect all of what I just said back to the subject at hand. Smoking companies do all all sorts of elaborate scemes to go get to this programming in a manner that a lot times goes under most ppls awareness. Thus telling us to try a smoke and once you do they have physical things that alter our bodies to also 'communicate to us that you want a smoke. So you have at least 2 aspects of your self ,the body which is physical and very influential and one on a 'social level' (I'm using that term for now in lew of a better one I'll have a better 1 next time but these different aspects would be 1 of the egos you talked about) but the programs (essentially thoughts) are not us we have the power to reject it or accecpt. We habitually do as our bodies want such as eat, drink, use the bathroom, sex etc. so its hard to resist when it tells us to do something we know that is bad for it or eventually realize this.(such as smoking). So I say all of that to put in perspective about having more than 1 will which would be like saying there is more 1 infinity of something, we all are 1 of 1 infinity? I have to go but there are some other things I need to explain lata about this subject but I appreciate the dialog

:peace:

9. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    A thought is a thought is a thought. To act on a thought is willing your body into action that began from a thought. We are what we think because we act on our thoughts. If we think bad thoughts we may act on them and do bad things, if we think positive then positive things are to come from those thoughts.:glasses:

10. hiphopolx

Ratings:
    +209
    Here is an important ? for those whose didn't digest what River brought forth? What generates your thoughts?