Black People : Am I Black Enough For You?

welcome welcome welcome !!!!

welcome to da flows of Destee's place
sho ya love speak ya mind share ya heart
upon family & friends as i welcome u from above i
send u much luv welcome ClarKint....:toast: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :jumping:

dis piece speak da truth i feel ya here .....wake up call;

Great reply to this from 'Sister Cantalope': "Once upon a time, we was 'colored'. I went to sleep, and woke up and we was 'negroes'. I went to sleep, and woke up and we was 'Black'. I went to sleep, and woke up, and we was 'African Americans'.

I' M SCARED TO GO TO SLEEP AGAIN! :toast:

We're wound to tight,
and wanna fight;
Each and every time we think we're 'dissed'.

Lookin' all evil,
with an attitude like a boll weevil;
Who's not eaten in weeks.

Here's a tip for you,
before the day is through;
Think of all the opportunity you've missed,

Think of the deals you've blown,
Think of the people you could have known;
Just because YOU got (fill this in).

Mike Ramey

Ramey Labs: Not Better Writing--Just Better At Getting To The POINT! :love:

Are we truly a diverse culture? I oft times encounter us, as African Americans espousing our colorful and diverse culture. I at the same time see us exhibiting behaviors that do not value our diversity. (i.e. Republican-Democrat/Rich - Poor/Skin Color/Weight differences/who's too black/who's not black enough/Good hair-Bad hair-Weave/Sexual Orientation/Conservative - Liberal/Differently abled/Education levels/Socio - Economic levels).

Why are we so appalled when people outside our culture appear to not value our diversity when it seems that we have much room for improvement in this area ourselves? Why are we not accepting of differences that have the potential to unite us and provide opportunities to influence each other; hence making our relationships ones with meaningful exchange rather than mean exchanges that divides us? Why do some of us think that we have to have a monolithic disposition to be unified?

Can we truly be united as a people and as a larger society when the appreciation for the diversity within our households does not reflect the expectation that we hold others accountable for?

Do we exhibit behaviors that we condemn? (i.e. stereotyping others using unsubstantiated surface observations of some without regard for the individuality of all?).

Is respect not the only thing anyone owes anyone, EVER, differences notwithstanding? Don't we have to have a framework for appreciation of others and their differences before we can begin to grow and evolve as individuals, groups, society?

You and Kebah made some excellent points on this! :toast:

First of all?

Again, while taking into serious considering when this thread was started, also in all do respect to its past contributors, this is now--and I don't feel or think obliged to have my present judgement calls predetermined by theirs...

Second of all?

If we do continue to have our own calls predetermined by black being a reflection or reaction or overreaction to what most (if not all) white folk here accept or tacitly go along with:

Then no wonder so many of our own consider our diversity not an asset and very much a liability...

I say and write:

Yes...

Let us strive to be equals to all other ethnic/racial groups...

Not:

Mere inferior copies of these particular caucasian folk...

:SuN044:

First of all?

Again, while taking into serious considering when this thread was started, also in all do respect to its past contributors, this is now--and I don't feel or think obliged to have my present judgement calls predetermined by theirs...

Second of all?

If we do continue to have our own calls predetermined by black being a reflection or reaction or overreaction to what most (if not all) white folk here accept or tacitly go along with:

Then no wonder so many of our own consider our diversity not an asset and very much a liability...

I say and write:

Yes...

Let us strive to be equals to all other ethnic/racial groups...

Not:

Mere inferior copies of these particular caucasian folk...

:SuN044:

I really can't see how we can be equal when we are the descendants of Kings & Queens; when we were charting the stars when others were grunting in caves; when we were the stuff.
They can treat me the way they want, say about me what they will, but I will always know the truth; and that's why they will always hate me.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back