Black People : Am I Black Enough For You?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ClarKint, May 6, 2002.

1. ClarKint

ClarKint Member MEMBER

Life Coach
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are we truly a diverse culture? I oft times encounter us, as African Americans espousing our colorful and diverse culture. I at the same time see us exhibiting behaviors that do not value our diversity. (i.e. Republican-Democrat/Rich - Poor/Skin Color/Weight differences/who's too black/who's not black enough/Good hair-Bad hair-Weave/Sexual Orientation/Conservative - Liberal/Differently abled/Education levels/Socio - Economic levels).

Why are we so appalled when people outside our culture appear to not value our diversity when it seems that we have much room for improvement in this area ourselves? Why are we not accepting of differences that have the potential to unite us and provide opportunities to influence each other; hence making our relationships ones with meaningful exchange rather than mean exchanges that divides us? Why do some of us think that we have to have a monolithic disposition to be unified?

Can we truly be united as a people and as a larger society when the appreciation for the diversity within our households does not reflect the expectation that we hold others accountable for?

Do we exhibit behaviors that we condemn? (i.e. stereotyping others using unsubstantiated surface observations of some without regard for the individuality of all?).

Is respect not the only thing anyone owes anyone, EVER, differences notwithstanding? Don't we have to have a framework for appreciation of others and their differences before we can begin to grow and evolve as individuals, groups, society?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    :wave: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ClarKint :wave:

I'm so glad you've agreed to share your insight and wisdom with us. As you know, I've been impressed many years with your way of thinking and processing things. I think our Forum Family and those who just browse and read will enjoy having benefit of your expertise.

Now, to all those questions you just asked us ... hmmmmm ... lemme see ...

I do agree with all that you've said, we are not a very tolerant people in general, yet we do demand this of others. The fact that there is so much black on black killing, that we have not done anything to stop or even slow it down ... yet let a white person kill a black person and we are up in arms. We are aware of, purchase and support African American artists calling our young ladies and gentlemen, b**ches, whores and ni**ers all day long ... but let a white person do it ... and it's on!

I wonder too what's up with all that.

I tend to look further back than just yesterday, regarding such phenomena. I go all the way back to slavery, because it seems to me, so much of our behavior toward each other is rooted in that. Could it be that we recognize that it's not okay for others to mistreat us, but have not fully processed that it's not okay for ANYONE to mistreat us?

Could it be evidence that we are in fact healing, recognizing our own self-worth, just not fully healed yet? So we immediately act when it's someone else doing the wrong ... but not so quick to act when it's us?

For example, the "good hair / bad hair", "light skin / dark skin" mentality are certainly ones that are rooted in slavery.

Rather than blame our current lack of tolerance on slavery, which is rather easy for me to do, could it just be human nature to act this way ... embracing what is like us (though we, black folk, don't always do that) and shunning those who aren't?

Again, I'm so glad you're here! Thanks a Bunch!

:)

Much Much Love ClarKint!

:heart:

Destee

3. Kebah

Kebah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Work
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think what's needs to occur is people need to stop using the word "WE".

I read how "we" are so diverse, and "we" are different in this and that.

Well, if that's true, then reframe from using "we" in discribing one another.

You can't have it both ways, either "we" are all the same, or "we" are not.

When we recognize how "we" view one another, "we" will really understand what "we" are all about.

"WE" are ALL diverse, and the sooner we start speaking as such, "we" won't be so bothered by other's, who happen to be the same skin tone.

And don't think I'm saying we shouldn't be our brother's keeper.

That's another issue.

kebah

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    :wave: Haaaaaaaaaay Kebah :wave:

I'm agreeing with you on this one Sis!

It amazes me how quickly folk want to throw all black folk in the same big bundle ... as if any one statement could apply to all of us. The same is often done with women and men ... "women are so ... " ... "men are so ... "

Certainly a pet peeve of mine!

Thanks for participating and sharing your thoughts with us.

:heart:

Destee

5. Kebah

Kebah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Work
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear ya....

Yeah, that's like that stupid title, "Women Are From Mars, Men Are From Venus".

Don't make me hurl. :rolleyes:

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    welcome welcome welcome !!!!

welcome to da flows of Destee's place
    sho ya love speak ya mind share ya heart
    upon family & friends as i welcome u from above i
    send u much luv welcome ClarKint....:toast: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :jumping:

dis piece speak da truth i feel ya here .....wake up call;

7. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    Great reply to this from 'Sister Cantalope': "Once upon a time, we was 'colored'. I went to sleep, and woke up and we was 'negroes'. I went to sleep, and woke up and we was 'Black'. I went to sleep, and woke up, and we was 'African Americans'.

I' M SCARED TO GO TO SLEEP AGAIN! :toast:

We're wound to tight,
    and wanna fight;
    Each and every time we think we're 'dissed'.

Lookin' all evil,
    with an attitude like a boll weevil;
    Who's not eaten in weeks.

Here's a tip for you,
    before the day is through;
    Think of all the opportunity you've missed,

Think of the deals you've blown,
    Think of the people you could have known;
    Just because YOU got (fill this in).

Mike Ramey

Ramey Labs: Not Better Writing--Just Better At Getting To The POINT! :love:

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    You and Kebah made some excellent points on this! :toast:

9. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    First of all?

Again, while taking into serious considering when this thread was started, also in all do respect to its past contributors, this is now--and I don't feel or think obliged to have my present judgement calls predetermined by theirs...

Second of all?

If we do continue to have our own calls predetermined by black being a reflection or reaction or overreaction to what most (if not all) white folk here accept or tacitly go along with:

Then no wonder so many of our own consider our diversity not an asset and very much a liability...

I say and write:

Yes...

Let us strive to be equals to all other ethnic/racial groups...

Not:

Mere inferior copies of these particular caucasian folk...

:SuN044:

10. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I really can't see how we can be equal when we are the descendants of Kings & Queens; when we were charting the stars when others were grunting in caves; when we were the stuff.
    They can treat me the way they want, say about me what they will, but I will always know the truth; and that's why they will always hate me.