Black People : Am I a racist?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by mahoganyqueen, Feb 9, 2005.

1. mahoganyqueen

mahoganyqueen Well-Known Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey family! I have missed ya'll, but I don't have a computer anymore, so I am hardly ever on the internet. Anyway, I find myself having some of the most racist thoughts. I think I am more racist than white people. I constantly make generalizations that I know aren't true about white people. In other words, I do to white people exactly what they do to us. How can I cry racisism at a white person, when I am partaking in the same activity? Does anyone else suffer from this? Can anyone help me to overcome the way I feel? Help me out fam

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

I don't believe u are a racist my queen. me, myself believe that none of the darker people of the planet Earth can be racist for the simple fact that in order to be a racist one must first have power. Racism is the ability to hold down, or the power to keep a WHOLE people from elevating to their full potential. Who on earth can do that except our open enemy.

What I believe is sometimes confused as blacks being racist is just a temporary subconcious reaction from the pain felt from true racism! Unless I have the power & control to actually carry those feelings out to the fullest. Meaning, being able to manipulate the system which is impossible again since it was not set up by anyone of color, but by those with a lack thereof.........then neither yourself or I, or anyone with melanin could never be a RACIST.......

just my humble opinion my queen, peace.......................

3. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I think you are mistaking racism for oppression. I believe that anyone has the capabilities of being a racist, but as you said, you need power to be an oppressor. These are the people who can practice things like favoritism and nepotism, and also prevent people from doing certain things. this is what Affirmative Action is meant to prevent in a sense, tho not completely. However, something like racism is only a strong biased dislike or hatred for a race based on color, while prejudice, is based on generalizations of people in color. There is a difference to all three. And at one point, I think most people have had racist or prejudice thoughts and feelings. however we cannot be oppressors. That much is tru.

MahoganyQueen. I think that it would be harsh to call yourself a racist, maybe you just have biased views. But then again, most of us (as in the human race) have biased views. Generalization is what breaks us all down in a way, because it categorizes.

4. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The Answer

Mahoganyqueen you are not a racist. The words racist and racism has been changed over the years by true racists to downplay their toxic behavior. A racist is someone who has unsubstanstiated notions about a group of people that has the power to negatively impact the lives of the people he or she is stereotyping. So queen unless you are a judge or a sherriff or a mayor or a employer or a someone with the potential to negatively affect someone's standard of living you are not a racist. However you can be bigoted, prejudicial or bias. Many will disagree with what I'm about to say but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To truely be rid of these feelings one must not give power to people or circumstances. Your power is your attention, your feelings and your energy. Let me be clear I am not saying passively let people treat you or anyone else unjustly for any reason. What I'm saying be above the disgraceful antics of angry powerless people and with the help and guidance of God oppose oppression. Give God power in your life. When you do that people that think they are getting over really aren't. No unjust deed goes unpunished. We may not be the punisher but punishment will occur.

Peace

Radical Faith

5. Prizefighter16

Ratings:
    +18
    an oppressor and a racist is not the exact definition.

There is a difference.

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    You are right

An oppressor lusts for power, wealth and prestige from his own people as well as others. A racist oppresses only those he has a negative opinion of.

Peace

Radical Faith

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well Mahagony let me give you my take:

First lets define the terms that are being thrown around the thread:

Oppression
    n.
    1. The act of oppressing; arbitrary and cruel exercise of power: “There can be no really pervasive system of oppression... without the consent of the oppressed” (Florynce R. Kennedy).
      1. The state of being oppressed.
    2. Something that oppresses.
    3. A feeling of being heavily weighed down in mind or body.
    Racism
    n.
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
    Prejudice
    n.
      1. <LI type=a>An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
      2. A preconceived preference or idea.
    1. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
    2. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
    3. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.
    It sounds to me that you are prejudice. You are beginning to dislike white people for stereotypes about them that you have in your mind. Prejudice is a different breed than racism to a certain degree. So do not worry about being racist, just remember never to judge a book by it's cover. Especially if you do not want others doing the same.

8. Prizefighter16

Ratings:
    +18

I'm saying that in racists do NOT have power :cool:

9. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    No. You are not racist.

What's interesting to me is that you are conscious of this way of thinking and behavior in yourself. I applaud you for wanting to change that about yourself. We don't have to become the enemy to beware of and deal with the enemy. In other words, you don't have to become the beast to slay the beast.

Peace

10. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I believe anyone can be racist. The poor white man living in a shack can hate all people of color, so he's racist, even though he has no power to oppress anyone. If someone hates another person based on the color of their skin, they're racist.

People tend to make judgements about other groups that are different. The way to get around this is to meet different kinds of people and get to know them.

I think everyone has bought into a steryotype at one time or another, it's human nature. I think it's great you've seen this in yourself, don't like what you see, and want to change. After all how can we ask that people stop steryotyping us if we are steryotyping others.