Science and Technology : Alternatives

Where can I download it from?
for the latest versions go over here.

however, if you go over here and select a location near you, you are offered the choice of which version you want to download; dapper is 6.06; gutsy is 7.10; hardy is 8.04; intrepid is 8.10. (there has been another release since i last installed ubuntu.)

ubuntu uses the gnome desktop environment by default.

kubuntu is the kde desktop environment, which looks a lot more like windows, but has always seemed to me to have a bit more "bloat".

xubuntu uses the xfce desktop environment which is a lot slimmer and runs on "lighter" hardware ... but it's features are a bit "slimmer" as well.

edubuntu is a variant suitable for an educational environment which, i believe, is from the standpoint of students.

and the ubuntu forums are a great place for lots of info, as well as a "begginers" forum. also, somewhere in here is a link to that medibuntu i mentioned. (this is not actually another "flavor" of ubuntu. it is, rather, a tool to help with the various "diversions" that we all like about these computer thingies.)

oops! gotta run. this outfit has me doing a meeting on saturday and two on sunday and one in the morning (with another immediately after that we are "encouraged" to attend [no] as well as my shift monday night. no; i don't get paid for all this ... in fact, i pay them .. well, $70 per month for this room in this "work for housing" program. but, hey; it is all about supporting people, so i'm cool with it ... <grin> bye!

I got it now. I'm enjoying it. What special features should I know about(I'm using 8.10)?
like i said, i tried 8.04 and backed down 7.10. i'm not even sure what multimedia support is available in 8.10. also, i'm not sure what you mean by "special features"?

as i mentioned, you might be interested in looking into

"Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).

Some of these packages include the libdvdcss package from VideoLAN and the external binary codecs package (commonly known as w32codecs) used by MPlayer and xine."

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back