Black Spirituality Religion : Alone Doesn't Have to Mean Lonely

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by visioneiwom, Sep 27, 2006.

1. visioneiwom

visioneiwom New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Alone Doesn't Have to Mean Lonely

A major problem facing many people today is loneliness. It seems to have become even more of an issue recently. As I travel the world, I see an increasing number of people requesting help and guidance for handling the loneliness in their lives.

In the Bible, God tells us we are not alone. He wants to deliver, comfort, and heal us. But when people encounter painful losses in their lives, sadly, many never get over them. Sometimes when sudden tragedy occurs, the hurt seems unbearable. Without help, a sense of loneliness can actually settle on a person or family like a cloud—and it doesn't seem to go away.

There are many causes of loneliness, but many people don't realize that they don't need to live with it. They can confront it and deal with it. Loneliness often manifests as an inner ache, a vacuum, or a craving for affection. Its side effects include feelings of emptiness, uselessness, or purposelessness.

Are you alone (independent, solitary, on your own), or are you lonely (desolate, deserted, dejected due to a lack of companionship)? There is a very real difference. It is important to realize that just because you are alone, it doesn't mean that you must be lonely or lonesome. While it may not always be possible to avoid being alone, there are always answers to loneliness. Many times loneliness results from a trauma or crisis resulting from the death of a loved one, a divorce, or separation. When something happens to make us realize that things are never going to be the way they once were, it often creates crisis or trauma in our lives, which can lead to a sense of loneliness and despair.

Like a wound healing, the pain may be felt for a long time, but complete recovery requires daily improvement. When a physical wound refuses to heal, it is an indication that there is an infection that must be dealt with. I believe the same is true of emotional wounds. The emotional part of us should heal just like the physical part of us. God gave us emotions just as He gave us physical bodies. He has provided for our emotional restoration just as He has provided for our physical healing in Him. While it is true that you may always miss the person or the thing lost, that does not mean that you must suffer permanent loneliness.

I believe there are two vital steps anyone wishing to overcome loneliness must take:

Know that God is with you all the time. In the Bible, God reminds us that He is always with us...that He'll never forsake us. Loneliness often leads us into asking ourselves all sorts of questions that can't be answered, such as: "What if I am alone for the rest of my life?" "What if this pain I am feeling never goes away?" "What if a problem arises that I don't know how to handle on my own?" "What if...what if...what if...?" The questions could go on and on, endlessly. Chances are, you'll never be able to answer the "what if's" in life. But as long as you know that the Lord is with you, you can be assured that He has all the answers you need.

"Press aggressively" into a new life. Not everything in your life is over; just one part of it has ended. One season has passed, and another can now begin if you are willing to take action. Don't just passively sit and wait for something to happen or someone to come along. Go make new friends. Find someone else who is lonely and be a friend to that individual. You will reap what you sow, and God will return that friendship many times over.
    Let the loneliness you feel turn into compassion for other lonely people and then decide to do something about it!

Copyright ©1998-2004 Joyce Meyer Ministries. All rights reserved.

Taken from http://www.**************/cgi-bin/hfth_article.plx?id=3

2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Although I am not alone; I am a loner; by choice. I like my "space"; yet I am never "lonely". I entertain myself in many ways:spinstar:

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forefront...should make for a good discussion.

PEACE

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I used to have feelings of feeling very lonely though I had others around me. However, in my faith, I never feel such depressing feelings anymore, whether people are around or not. As I learned more in my faith, I came to understanding what the Holy Father and the Holy Son wants their followers and disciples to see; that no matter where we are in this world, we have each other and always have The Father and the Son.

I have brothers and sisters in all the earth because of the beautiful wisdom I've gained. And faith and belief in the One who died for us to be redeemed from our sins and was resurrected for our very salvation guarantees I'll always have family and friends at my side. :)