Allergies--This CAN'T be happening!

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by aglo, May 6, 2006.

?

How do Brothas -n- Sistas deal w/seasonal allergies?

1. I bear and grin it, au naturale

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I take prescription/otc drugs

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I use natural remedies

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I don't suffer from allergies

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. aglo

aglo Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

2. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I developed an allergy a few years ago--sneezing, congestion, hives, etc. that I think came from physiological changes in my system and environmental changes--moving from high ground to low ground. Symptoms just popped up one day. Anyway, my doctor put me on Zyrtec which knocks everything out. I'm supposed to take 2 per day, but I only take 2 per week and I'm fine. That's a big difference--from the 14 per week that I'm supposed to take to 2, and it saves me a ton of money! Sometimes, you have to experiment and listen to your own body and see what works for you personally.

It's expensive. If I didn't have benefits, I wouldn't be able to afford this medicine, but with the benefits, it's almost free. Makes me wonder how people without medical benefits make it these days!! Don't know any natural remedies.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    One thing can help doing allergie season is watch your intake on
    dairy products like Milk / cheese / ice cream as such get yourself
    a air purification system like a Vaporizer add some vicks and let it run
    take more Vitamin c about 500 mg and this should hold many allergies
    at bay doing pollen and other harmful things in the air

a vaporizer is a plus when you have carpet / pets / plants

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Usually, I do nothing, but if I have a headache, I may take an aspirin.

My grandma used to talk to me about taking bee pollen.

Here is a quote from a website I visited:

"Bee pollen has also been claimed to improve athletic and sexual performance; slow the aging process; promote both weight loss and weight gain; prevent infection, allergy, and cancer; and alleviate more than 60 other health problems."

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/bee.html

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I have suffered from allergies *mostly hay fever* and astma from my earliest memories. I take prescribed medication and benadryl. For asthma my sister, who is a repiratory care practitioner always advises lipton or some other kind of tea that is a "bronchial dyalator" (excuse the spelling). Green tea, unsweetened sometimes helps with some symptons.

A lot of Black children contract asthma supposedly because of poor housing conditions. Rats, flies, dust mites, all carry germs. Linens must be washed/sanitized regularly in the spring and fall. Dust mites are particularly active in the spring time.. And dust and pollen can easily spread indoors, along with MOLD if you are like me and keep windows open for ventilation.

Personally, I believe that global warming which has led to the "El Nino" effect has tended to effect parts of the country with a dryer climate and this can cause more problems with allergies....as the high winds carry more dust and also release more "histimine" from plants or weeds such as "ragweed" which is killing me here in texas.

Perhaps frequent visits to a sauna, or swimming can be of benefit because the water and humidity prevent membranes and the skin from drying out. Drinking lots of water and eliminating drinks with caffeine and high fructose corn syrup (i.e. coffe, soda) can be beneficial as well as increased exercise, particularly aerobic activity to help increase the flow of oxygen and regulating the flow of free radicals.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is very true. And I would also add yyogurt even though some nutritionists would disagree. But yogurt can cause or contribute to the buildup of mucus. This is a personal problem for me because I love ice cream and cheese.

7. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1

Greetings Sister Aglo

There is a Natural Remedies Guide (forgot the name) In it i have found and tried several of the remedies for dealing with "Allergies" For uncontrollable itching try The Stinging Nettles Herb - use it as a tea or a tincture. Works wonderfully, or some good 'ol fashion Calamine lotion(took them itchies right away) Also vitamin B12 to boost the immune system. Alfalfa, and dandelion tea(helps flush out toxins that can aggravate allergies) There is Homeopathic Allergy Relief Drops that i use from time to time. it is great for hay fever, sneezing, sniffling, watery eyes/swollen lids, Itch nose and skin, and nasal congestion. A product by Bioforce. Works wonders. Drink plenty of Water and during Allergies try to detox the body to rid it of any aggravating pollutants.

Hope this helps Sister

Peace & Blessins

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm glad you're feeling better!