Black Short Stories : ALL STAR WEEKEND 2008

MRS. LADY

BANNED
Dec 3, 2007
everywhere and nowhere
Occupation
to seek truth
All Star Weekend, 2008, I was there. I saw the all-stars. I got there on Wednesday night. I walked on Bourbon Street. It was hype, yo, for real. Flyer's were given and parties were in the making. A weekend to never forget, and I won't.

Thursday, Valentine's Day, I went downtown. I checked out the beautiful 18th Century Art, and all of it's splendor. There were carriage rides, and music playing in the distance. As I came closer to the music I couldn't help but stop. A band was playing that old school jazz. That make you stop and tap your feet kind of tune, and I did stop and tap. I danced with the band, and the patrons that sat in the fried doe spot clapped and enjoyed the music and dance. Love was in the air, and it felt so wonderful.

As I walked further down there was a magician. You know, a Whodunit type cat, or if you say it the black way, Who Done It. It was hella funny cause dude for sho looked like Sammy Davis. He had impressions down to a science. He did card tricks, told jokes, magic tricks and balloon animals. He made my cigarette disappear! After the show, I got to talk to him. His name was Keith.

I walked down a bit more. There was a man playing a flute. A group of people sat around him and listened. I stopped and talked with them for a bit. They were all old friends, and each admitted that they were dealing with their own demons. I really did not expound on each ones' personal hell. It really isn't my place to judge anyone. Plus it was Valentine's Day, and if it was all the same to anyone Love was my only focus. We hung out and just talked. Must admit we had a smoke and a joke. Before I left each one gave me a hug, and the flute player played especially for me, The Girl From Iponima. Imagine that. It was the best Valentine's Day ever. What a new and refreshing perception of Tru Love. I headed home. I was hungry and it was getting late.

Friday I rested, and washed my cloths.

On Saturday, I had to walk to the store, and get a couple of personal items for myself. It was around 11:00 am. I found a local Walgreen's, and on the way back I heard, yup you guessed it, music. I went to find it. It was hip hop too. What I found was the most amazing thing in the whole wide world. Nike was sponsoring a Community Center Dedication in the 7th Ward. It was FREE. There was food, music, free t-shirts, bags, water, and Black People. Now dat's a party.

What touched my heart the most, brought tears to my eyes even was that Kobe Bryant was there. He took the time to come down, and take the mic and talk about the importance of FAMILY. He shot around with the children, and gave them basketball pointers. I was so blessed to have been a part of this. A brother possibly makes one mistake, and that's iffy if you ask me, and he's at center stage of the world. The same brother dedicates his time to giving something back and you don't even hear about it. The brother is redeemed in my book, and can't nobody say nuttin bad bout Kobe. He was the only NBA star that showed up.

Doug E. Fresh came on down, with his children. They ripped the mic I might add. Another group came, and I wish I could remember all of the particulars. What I do remember is that they had got into a car accident on the way there, but come heck or high water, they made it. All of the rapping, and that's exactly what it was, rapping was giving glory and thanks to GOD. Doug E. Fresh spoke of Obama and Hilary. He said that they are proof that a Black man and a Woman can accomplish anything in this world. The brother was right. He talked to the children and encouraged them to be everything they wanted to be. He told the children to raise their hand if they thought that they could be anything that they wanted to be. Of course, being the big child that I am, I raised my hand. He looked at me and said, “now, you know you are to big to be raising your hand.” I laughed, but I gotta admit sometimes you gotta dig into that inner child, and just remember a time when it was all about dreams.

Doug. E. .. Kobe... Nike... and all of the other blessed that made it happen, this ones for ya'll.... the realest. One Love.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back