Pan Africanism : All Female Village in Kenya

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Ellacott, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ellacott

Ellacott Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    A Place Where Women Rule:
    All-Female Village in Kenya Is a Sign Of Burgeoning Feminism Across Africa

By Emily Wax
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Saturday, July 9, 2005; Page A01

UMOJA, Kenya -- Seated cross-legged on tan sisal mats in the shade, Rebecca Lolosoli, matriarch of a village for women only, took the hand of a frightened 13-year-old girl. The child was expected to wed a man nearly three times her age, and Lolosoli told her she didn't have to.

The man was Lolosoli's brother, but that didn't matter. This is a patch of Africa where women rule.

"You are a small girl. He is an old man," said Lolosoli, who gives haven to young girls running from forced marriages. "Women don't have to put up with this nonsense anymore."

Ten years ago, a group of women established the village of Umoja, which means unity in Swahili, on an unwanted field of dry grasslands. The women said they had been raped and, as a result, abandoned by their husbands, who claimed they had shamed their community...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...8/AR2005070801775.html?nav=rss_print/asection

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is extremely interesting, I'd like to see how this particular community progresses in a couple of decades. Any thoughts on this Fanyamambo?

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

ELLACOTT

Simply awesome report! I am going to keep this woman's name close to my radar, and like those clowns in the neighboring male village, monitor her activities(smile!) Now, she's is one strong Black Woman... Whew!

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I love hearing about stuff like this.

Just one brilliant demonstration of the Power of the Black woman.

PEACE

5. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I have definitely heard of this village although i have never visited it. The author is correct in saying that the roles of women are changing fast in response to the realities of their lives today. Umoja Village is just one of the manifestations of a pardigm shift. This is a precedented and necessary change. I read a more comprehensive article on the village and I will dig it up and comment more then.

It's not really about rivalry with men etc although many reporters would want to see it thus. That's an oversimplified view in my opinion - however I suppose the article had to be worded as such to make hard news. It is about women having to take necessary steps to ensure their own safety and dignity and that of their children. As I said I'll be back with more after digging up that old article.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I look forward to reading what you come back with.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    What an awsome thread, :terrific: I'm sorry I missed it up to this point. I have to do some research on the topic :thinking:

8. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    This is one of those...sad but true stories...

Though the power of these women should be applauded…it is still a sad day when it has to come to this…more division, even when the cause is noble under the circumstances cannot move Africa forward. If this was only about single women uniting, it would be more palatable, but for them to have to protect themselves from there own men and the misogyny imbued in the culture, this is unacceptable…I hope these brothers wake up.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I also think it is sad, but as you said...if it takes a step like this to wake some brothers up...then it needs to happen.

10. notbeautiful

notbeautiful Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    That was heart-warming to see that they have a place of refuge. Just to know that they can be safe again. I hope they create more villages like this one. Maybe one to reform the men.