Black People : All black women making it big in the fashion industry have her to thank

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    In all honesty, it's nice to have confidence in what you do. But is there something else going on.

Naomi Campbell credits herself for breaking racial barriers
    Washington : Supermodel Naomi Campbell claims all black women making it big in the fashion industry have her to thank, for she was the one to break racial barriers by being the first black model to grace the cover of Time Magazine.

The British model said that she has always fought to break down racial barriers, and that she was proud that she had been able to open doors previously closed to black women.

“September of 1991, I was on the cover of Time Magazine, which was incredible. I was the very first black model to appear on the cover and was also the first for British and French Vogue,” Contactmusic quoted her, as saying.

“I remember first looking at the Time cover and just feeling overwhelmed with emotion. A door had been opened and I was the one to do it. As a model, breaking down barriers is so important to me, something I have always fought for,” she added.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    There was a "Naomi", but not Campbell

There were many Black models that have blazed trails in the fashion industry long before Naomi Campbell was born. Many of these models I and some of your parents saw in magazines like "Jet" and "Ebony". However, the ONE model that I remember the most and who I think opened the doors and broke down racial barriers in fashion was a deep chocolate colored sister by the name of Naomi Sims. I can understand why Naomi Campbell wants to take credit for doing so much for Black women fashion models, and maybe she has, but I don't think she was the first. Please "Google" her name to learn more, but here's a snipet.

http://www.hbs.edu/leadership/database/leaders/827/

I think credit should also be given to the next Black female model, Iman. She was a strikingly talk, thin, and dark chocolate woman who graced the covers of many popular mainstream magazines before Naomi Campbell was probably potty trained.

Sharing the "break through" in fashion industry was also a woman named Barbara Smith, better known today as B. Smith. Notice the similarity in skin tone of all of these women. Again, this is way before Naomi Campbell knew what a runway was.

http://www.bsmith.com/index.php

Known more for having a successful modeling career for Jet and Ebony...runway and covergirl, Beverly Johnson is another familiar face in the Black community. Again, notice the skin tone. Check her out:

http://www.amekor.com/

I'm glad we're seeing more Black women in the industry and making a decent living at it. Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks, owe a debt of gratitude, I think, to the women I mentioned above.

JMO...

Queenie :spinstar:

3. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmmm Interested
    Yup Beverly Johnson well known

4. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

When I was growing up you couldn't tell me nothing bad about Iman, I thought she was the best thing since sliced bread.....then when I got little older and saw who she married I wanted to hurt somebody.

To be honest I don't know what criteria the fashion industry uses for choosing black women. I've seen more than a handful of sisters (In MY EYES) that run circles around most those models you listed....

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
  6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Brother Kemetkind, I don't disagree that there are many beautiful Black models in the industry...all shapes and sizes. But as we all know, some 30-40 years ago they were never given the opportunity to compete on the catwalk (as they call high fashion runway modeling) with white models as plain looking as Twiggy. Runway modeling is considered the prestigious form of modeling....the elite of the elite...where you get paid thousands of dollars for a few hours changing clothes. All but one of these sisters that I mentioned were in the same league as Campbell and Banks...these are "catwalk" sisters. I believe that B. Smith was more face and catalog because she didn't have the height as her other sisters. Yes, Iman is married to David Bowie. I believe that Naomi Sims also married outside of her race. We all know Campbell's relationship history has covered the gamut of men as well. But, that's not being discussed here. Nevertheless, these women have made it possible for other young Black models to get into the high fashion industry.

Peace,

7. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree!
    Alot of the models are striking!
    I thought beverly johnson was one of the prettiest .

8. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Naomi Sims NOT Campbell maybe honey chile got herself mixed up with one of the ACTUAL sistahs who did do what she claimed... it wouldnt be the first thang she mixed up...

BEAUTIFUL NAOMI SIMS

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    :lol: She was and still is beautiful, isn't she? And the sister is a stong woman with backbone. I rememer reading her first published autobiography and the stuff she described that white people in the industry...agents and designers...wanted/expected her to do was absolutely disgusting. But, she said she never would subject herself to such degradation and always managed to find ways to smoothly maneuver around some of those issues so that it wouldn't injure or jeapardize her career. I have always admired her for that.

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Sister Triskit...you're probably right. One thing I can say about the sisters on my "A" list is that they never seemed to get caught up in the type of scandals that Campbell seems to attract. Not saying they were perfect, but they were at least discreet. Yes, Campbell is definitely in a league of her own and that's not necessarily meant to be a compliment.

Queenie :heart: