Black People : ALL BLACK TOWNS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    This is a very, very unique and beautiful fact of our history in the United States, African people seeking a place and space of their own, far away from our tormentors, and making it successfully. It is as if Marcus Garvey and the Honorable Elijah Muhammad knew, and had already gained great insight into our ability and capacity to live independent and self-determining lives... I've seen some other quite illuminating material on this subject, and will share it as I come across it... Hope y'all enjoy this, though - for the time being...(smile!)

http://www.ok-history.mus.ok.us/enc/allblack.htm

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    this was cool information
    very interesting....
    thank you for sharing this
    with us..Angel

3. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you, Isaiah for the info. Blessings!

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Thank you, Brother Isaiah for posting this information which merits our attention. But you know--although it's very positive and uplifting, I ain't feeling all warm and fuzzy inside because of it. I have mixed feelings about it because it serves as another reminder of the poisonous affects of a racist society.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us that we have the ability to be self-sufficient and know how to thrive as a community. What were we doing before we came to this country--running around in the bushes butt naked waiting to be discovered and taken care of? Of course not!

The facts reported in the article you posted and others like them are more than enough proof to our abilities--but who do we feel the need to prove something to...ourselves? Sometimes don't you just get tired of the reminders of how great we can be but yet, look at us today? What are we teaching our children....how great we USED to be and how terrible we have it now because we CAN'T do anything for ourselves?

Black people own a piece of land but the white man owns the world!! I know you didn't intend for this to start a debate but some days are just like that. So my question is, after reading what we did, where does that leave us now? Maybe we should all move to a Black town nearest to us.

Whatcha think?

Queenie

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Queenie, I don't necessarily think that the answer to that question is as easy as we might suspect... Else why would we need the likes of Garvey, Booker T., Muhammad, or Malcolm to tell us that we must do for self and kind... Furthermore, why don't we just do for self and kind with all of the resources that are at our disposal these days???

The answer actually lies in the fact that, yes, Our African Ancestors did for self and the world, but, African Americans, coming out of slavery as we did, required us to actually re-learn how to be self-determining, and independent... These towns are a testament to us regaining out footing out of slavery, and are an example of what we can do, because we've alread done it... Judging by the responses to this info, some of our fellow board members were moved by it, as I was... Some of us, perhaps, are further along in the learning curve than others, so it may not come as a big deal to them... Some of us may even have come up in an environment where Black independence was quite real, and easily seen on a daily basis... For many of us, that is not the case, however....

In any event, we do need to know this information... We need to research it, and put it out there for as many of us may need it's sustainence. Knowledge is power, and knowledge of your own greatness is power... What we've done, we can do again...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What you stated is all correct and I won't deny that. I was having a bad morning dealing with certain types where I work when I vented somewhat earlier! :censored:

Yes, we need to keep posting this type of information and pray that the message it sends will eventually be absorbed and serve as a major motivator for us. We CAN do for self because we have done it before and probably under worser conditions than we experience today.

Two entirely different experiences I can testify to. One is having grown up in an all-Black community pre-Civil Rights and the other is raising a family in an integrated community post-Civil Rights era. To me, racism is viewed differently from the outside as opposed to inside. It's one thing to know racism but to be somewhat sheltered from it constantly when you're living among your own. It's a whole different story when you're living in the midst of it constantly....at work...at home....at leisure. I do believe that integration has numbed us or desensitized us to a degree to its affects.

I know that not every Black person feels this way but I think there is much value in living among your own. To be honest, I can now relate to why white people wanted their own communities. There's a lot to be said in favor of that in my opinion.

Oh well....keep sharing Brother Isaiah!

Peace,
    Queenie

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Black Wall Street

The date was June 1, 1921, when "Black Wall Street," the name fittingly given to one of the most affluent all-black communities in America, was bombed from the air and burned to the ground by mobs of envious whites. In a period spanning fewer than 12 hours, a once thriving 36-block business district in northern Tulsa lay smoldering-a model community destroyed, and a major African-American economic movement resoundingly defused. The night's carnage left some 3,000 African-Americans dead, and over 600 successful businesses lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half-dozen private airplanes and even a bus system. As could be expected, the impetus behind it all was the infamous Ku Klux Klan, working in consort with ranking city officials, and many other sympathizers.
    In his self-published book, "Black Wall Street: A lost dream," the author (Ron Wallace) has chronicled for the very first time in the words of area historians and elderly survivors what really happened there on that fateful summer day in 1921 and why it happened.
    The best description of Black Wallstreet, or Little Africa as it was also known, would be liken it to a mini-Beverly Hills. It was the golden door of the Black community during the early 1900s, and it proved that African Americans had successful infrastructure. That's what Black Wallstreet was all about.
    The dollar circulated 36 to 100 times, sometimes taking a year for currency to leave the community. Now in 1995, a dollar leaves the Black community in 15-minutes. As far as resources, there were Ph.D.'s residing in Little Africa, Black attorneys and doctors. One doctor was Dr. Berry who owned the bus system. His average income was $500 a day, a hefty pocket change in 1910.
    During that era, physicians owned medical schools. There were also pawn shops everywhere, jewelry stores, 21 churches, 21 restaurants and two movie theaters. It was a time when the entire state of Oklahoma had only two airports, yet six Blacks owned their own planes. It was a very fascinating community.
    Searching under the heading of "riots," "Oklahoma" and "Tulsa" in current editions of the World Book Encyclopedia, there is conspicuously no mention whatsoever of the Tulsa race riot of 1921, and this omission is by no means a surprise, or a rare case. The fact is, one would also be hard-pressed to find documentation of the incident, let alone and accurate accounting of it, in any other "scholarly" reference or American history book.
    Black Wall Street

Brother Isaiah, just wanted to share a little of this story. There's a powerful documentary available also.
    I agree with what you said about how important it is to learn about what we have done in the past, so that we will know what is possible to do again. And in cases where we were attacked, such as Greenwood (above), Rosewood (Florida), and many other places, I believe its important that we learn as much as possible about what was there and what happened, so we can learn how to protect ourselves better in the future. Also, when we learn about what we've done and had before, we may even find that what was stolen and/or destroyed can be reclaimed.

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Greetings, Brother OldSoul, always great to hear from you!(smile!)

And, yes, Tulsa/GreenWood/Black Wall Street/Little Africa, perhaps our grandest collective achievement in our history in this wilderness! That is unless we believe those olmec heads are the work of our ancestors as well... The beauty of Tulsa is that it speaks to our ability to do Tulsa again, only on a grander scale. We are not talking about the continent, and Khemet, and we know of our great civilizations(some of us) backwards and forwards, but we are talking about Africans in this nation who are totally assimilated, totally unfamiliar with how our ancestors thought and operated out of the box White Man intended for them... We today don't think as those strong Southern African Americans did - truth be told, and quiet as it is kept... We probably aren't even of the mindset to do what our ancestors did, because we are so AMERICANIZED... Dig That! "What, separate from this good White Man???" Hmmm...

Well, for those brothers and sisters to live their lives in peace, without the daily thoughts of murder, lynchings, rapes, and other sundry humiliations, knew they had to have a separate existence - and they were doing this long before Garvey came along... They lived in peace with the Native Americans, established businesses, homesteads, schools, owned oil refineries and rigs, and produced Charlie Christian and Ralph Ellison... Well, I've often walked the streets of Bedford Stuyvesant, and wondered why cannot we have our own theatres, our own supermarkets, our own African American professional baseball and basketball leagues playing in Arenas built by us??? Our ancestors did that back in the day... Imagine if we had a league of our own that competed with MLB for the best Black Ball Players from around the world??? Imagine if all of the Continental African basketball players could find a home in our league, and we could compete with the NBA for basketball supremacy??? Make movies in our studios for Black audiences all around the world, manufacture clothing for Africans around the world???

We must develop the attitude first, that we want to "take over" before we can even effect a plan to take over... The Japanese had a mentality that said we can and we will build a better automobile than Amerians can build, and then they got their plan together to make that vision come true... No one can tell me that Africans don't not possess that level of intelligence... What we are is a big old elephant that doesn't know it's power... White man has most of us thinking we're the mouse, not the elephant... One of these days that ole elephant is gonna get up, I believe, and show the world how it's done... We just have to keep pumping our Childrens's heads full of their greatness, full of their greatness, full of their greatness, and they will do the rest...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I love this! :heart:

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner