All Black/African Martial Artists

MississippiRed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 11, 2004
I'm interested in seeing how many Brothers on here are practicing martial artists. I'm interested in having discussions with yall on philosophy as well as practice behind not only what yall study but how yall study it.....let's say a sort of exchanging of ideas.....I know we won't agree on all aspects of life and thought but as we are Brothers I think we should make efforts to find the things we CAN agree on and discuss and exchange ideas on instead of hunting for the things we differ on ...........

Sam....dude you really NEED to be one of the cats in here because regardless of our previous encounters I have to say I do respect you and have some questions about the arts you study........and I think we as Black men tend to take a somewhat different approach to martial arts than any other ethnic group...

Anyway this is for advice, information, training tips, sparring tips, techniques, posting of fight dates, questions from Brothers/Sisters wanting to get into training, anything of value is welcome

Any and all styles and philosophies welcome......I look forward to vibing with yall Brothers man for real.......Anyway since I brought it up I'll start...

I started when I was 10 in Isshin Ryu Karate didn't last long I loved it but my Mama didn't see the value ....I did some fighting in the streets as boys will ....when I moved to the CA Bay things turned and I found my calling......even though it was a process......I next found a school down the street from my pad......it was a Hung Gar Kung Fu school......they showed me some things ..but very unrealistic training and no sparring..but they all swore they could fight.........then my eyes opened....I met a man named Keith Higa at Universal Kempo Karate and started finally training for real......in Hawaiian Kempo and Muay Thai and submission grappling.....classes were hard and contact allowed I loved it......my next step was when Keith (good teacher, bad businessman) went out of business.....I went to Rey's Muay Thai and Wing Chun Academy, ...Rey Garcia is a very good teacher and I got to try some Wing Chun .....(some of which I found very useful and some of which I found to be garbage ) ....I don't have a school home right now but am awaiting the opening of the Fairtex Mountain View facility to continue my path along with my 2 sons..... ( my daughter is starting in Capoeria(sp not sure)) .......but as soon as that opens I'm back on my path.....I love sparring in both Muay Thai , and grappling as well as some of the Filipino stick fighting I've picked up .......I still roll with my sons and work on subs....anyway that's me .....yall get at me...

MississippiRed

Eric Bell said:
Anybody have an in-depth understanding of Five Elements Kung Fu and/or MUAY THAI?

EARTH,FIRE,METAL,WOOD,WATER

PEACE!!!

I'm sorry I misread your question.......I'm not sure what Five Elements Kung Fu is but I've read about Five Elements Chi Kung and I know that Hung Gar has a hand set called Sup Ying Kuen (Ten Form Fist) which includes certain excercises and movements named after the Five Elements......

As far as Muay Thai goes ask away I've been doing Muay Thai for about 11 years now........some basics......sparring is essential, cardio is essential,as far as striking goes it's the best out there........Muay Thai is essentially easy to learn and you can become proficient enough to use it fairly quickly....It is truly the art of 8 weapons and will build toughness as long as you are doing alive training and sparring........Muay is a very good art to learn and is useful not only in the ring as well in self defence situations.......

As far as Kung Fu training goes if you're interested be sure you check out your instructor's credentials, make sure they do alive training meaning you are not always training with a compliant training partner and make sure they do full contact sparring both stand up and on the ground., not just point sparring..........Hope that helps but if you have any questions about Muay Thai or Submission Grappling/BJJ please post them ......
As a side....do you train now ?

MississippiRed

greetings red..

I have been practicing martial arts (formally and informally) since I was very young and I can tell you that it is an intricate aspect of my life and can be applied to the world in general....as a youngster I practiced studied basic karate and wrestling with my brothers informally and we did often get hurt but that makes it more realistic..recently i just stopped taking Hap-ki-do classes for financial reasons but I continue to study/practice/train in JKD independently for now...
my first trainer is now a boxer/martial artist in the various military structures that he attends (depends on what country he is in) and he is much older than me but has personally trained me since the age of 12...and I have seen him in numerous street fights and I can say that his street savy methods are very effective (elaboration later)...now I am just independently training in weights and speed as well as attentiveness (ie attention to surroundings)

and I think we as Black men tend to take a somewhat different approach to martial arts than any other ethnic group...
this is true...to me 'martial arts' is not solely on defending oneself nor plain fighting but rather a method to cultivate oneself to their maximum potential in order to make great usage of the 'life force(ie kundalini,chi,etc) in all aspects of life....all of that by using a practical method and seemingly practical purpose, which is self defense/offense.Another method of 'spiritual'
cultivation that shows its effectiveness in self defense...

I would like to know about BJJ/grappling.

Have you used it in a real street fight situation?

Is 'scientific wrestling' really able to counter BJJ in effectiveness?

I plan on increasing my grappling skills via training in the future since it is not alloted to me now and I appreciate your willingness to answer questions since some just skim over them,etc.

htp.......:karate: ............:karate: .........:karate:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back