Black Women : Alice Walker's Meditation and Wandering as the Whole World Awakens to Being in Harm’s Way,

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Alarm Clock, May 31, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Legendary author, poet and activist Alice Walker joins us to discuss her newest book, "The Cushion in the Road: Meditation and Wandering as the Whole World Awakens to Being in Harm’s Way," in which she discusses many of the dominant themes in her life and work, including racism, Palestine, Africa and Obama’s presidency. The collection of essays explores Walker’s conflicting desire for deep engagement in the world and for a retreat into quiet contemplation. She has also just published a new collection of her poetry, "The World Will Follow Joy: Turning Madness into Flowers." A film about her life, "Alice Walker: Beauty in Truth," premieres this Friday in the United States. Walker also discusses the Obama administration’s recent addition of former Black Panther Assata Shakur to the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list 40 years after the killing for which she was convicted, her travels to the Eastern Congo, and the ongoing targeting of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/5/28/poet_author_alice_walker_meets_the

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    When I was younger and starting to research Black history, and developed a passion for the history of Black women, I embraced Alica Walker as one of my "teachers" along with other budding Black women authors. This being an era that preceded the internet, I read everything published I could put my hands on. When I discovered that she was married to a white man, I was crushed. I judged her as a traitor and dropped her as a role model. I've not looked at her work or listened to her messages for many years because of that. I'm a confused person because I couldn't understand how a person could be a Black activist, living in America, and genuinely fight for the rights of Black people, while being married to a descendent of the oppressor. I don't deny, she has a powerful message but, I struggle with this dilemma. I do like what I'm hearing her say though and what her experiences have been over the course of her career. This is my personal issue and one that has been with me for a very long time and difficult to resolve and let go of. Part of me tells me that I should be focused more on people's actions and not who they are married to. But why can't I let the other part go? I'm trying...Grrrrr

3. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I dont like and didnt like what Langston Hughes, James Baldwin, Byatd Rustin or who Harry Belafonte, Cheik Anta Diop, Ivan van Sertima went to bed with either but IMHO I cannot allow that to detract from the contribution they have made to the progresss of the Black community not just nationally but globally as well

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I was shocked when I read the above! Immediately, I googled. Yep. She was married to a Jew.

Means nothing.

Why? Not because they're now divorced (divorced about 30 years ago), but because Alice Walker is a lesbian.

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    It may not detract, but it does make me take with a grain of salt anything they have to say about racism and white people. You can't call the white man a dog and his woman not be a bitc*.

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    It's very intelligent to judge people by their private affairs. One who can not control himself privately, can not control himself publicly. Or, you can not expect one who does not advance his own best interest to advance your best interest. I reject those Africans outright and with grains of salt review their writings.

7. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    The words of an activist either ring truth or don't.
    It's what we do, and how we carry on with the information that can create change..

Words don't always make a change.