Black People : Ala. commune head has new project despite past

MsInterpret

Apr 21, 2007
Washington
Ala. commune head has new project despite past

260xStory.jpg

By JAY REEVES (AP)

EMELLE, Ala. ? Pentecostal preacher Luke Edwards is the shepherd of a forlorn flock: For years his disciples have traveled the nation begging amid allegations of abuse and ruinous mismanagement.

Five youngsters have died in fires at his west Alabama commune, the Holyland, where parents and youngsters are separated for weeks at a time. The state has described the education provided at the commune's church-based school as substandard; Edwards' one-time followers tell of beatings and sexual misconduct by male elders.

Edwards, 84, has outlasted all the criticism and troubles, and an Associated Press review found he is involved in a new multimillion-dollar plan that could bring even more young people into his fold ? a prospect that worries one-time followers now living on their own.

Edwards preaches self-sufficiency, yet former members say his disciples bring in thousands of dollars daily panhandling outside stores in the name of abused children. Those under his care get free rent yet little of the money. If they leave, they depart virtually penniless.

Now he is part of a project to build a residential school for troubled high-schoolers on hundreds of acres of cow pasture and forest in Sumter County just east of the Mississippi line. The goal is to bring prison-bound youth from churches and cities all over the nation to Edwards' corner of west Alabama.

Edwards is among the founders of Greentown-USA, envisioned as a sprawling complex that is supposed to open in 2012. Plans include a private school with dormitories, a gym, an Olympic-size swimming pool, a recording studio, laboratories and a chapel for worship.

Edwards, who is black, advocates black economic empowerment and self-help. Yet food stamps provided the seed money for his operation in the mid-'70s, and disenchanted believers tell of working like slaves in run-down businesses controlled by Edwards, only to leave with nothing. READ MORE

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
wow...so is he helping our problem or adding to the problem with new hardship and struggle????

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
wow...so is he helping our problem or adding to the problem with new hardship and struggle????
He is keeping up the tradition of Elmer Genytry Con men, that Carter G Woodson wrote about, and Father Divine and Daddy Grace exemplified.

What those who joined and got coned have not done is keep up the tradition of Common Sense

Sad to say that these are the ones that are exposed and it is anyones guess how many more of these there are, that don't reach the press,
(used as intel mind control experiments like Jim Jones, or just expressions of despoitic megalomania)
as the economy slides annd folks get desperate about survivalism

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kadijah Black People Politics : Ala. man gets jailtime for tweeting threat to Obama Black People Politics 22
Kemetstry Science and Technology : FLU LIKE ILLNESS KILLS 2 IN ALA. Science and Technology 4
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Survivor of '63 Ala. church bombing seeks funds Black People Open Forum 45
R Black Poetry : SHE SAID: now I'm a down for life red-bone boys wanna kiss my lips and head home they love my skin-tone, correct and hot tonight lips reflect a lot of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : OK she strut butt and stay up with luck she's a RED BONE and boys kiss her and head home because of her skin tone this boy has a TOYOTA with hype he Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BROTHER HEAD OF AMERICAN AIRLINES Black Money Business Jobs 2
Kemetstry Black Positive People : BLACK TWINS ARE HEAD OF THE CLASS Black People Doing Positive Things 0
J Black Poetry : Juicy sexual color of dark skin in the head is only one word: Divine. My juicy, sweet, goddess. The figure is like a boom boom cool rap beat bass from Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Kemetstry Black Sports : NFL HIRING BLACK HEAD COACHES A FRAUD? Black Sports 1
R Black Poetry : Head not at odds it's straight and in Genesis now god create the HEAVEN AND EARTH folks should be in FT LEAVENWORTH for not believing, the earth had n Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
R Black Poetry : Ill with this and still exist with many chapters for a plenty rappers I see jive that be alive have to duck my head or get struck by lead playing cowb Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Smartphones are paving way for the Antichrist, says head of Russian church Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
R Black Poetry : Rap stats that slap cats dang don't rather this a cap or hat Is got on my head, a cap is a fashion p Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : My quotes slaughter while they float in water like a boat keep my head above water and love slaughte Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : PUNCHLINES #2 (A Comedy) you have no power in your head if whackness was a flowerbed // you'll be in Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : Hammer Head Toast With A Can Of Spam Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Audio Video Web Conferencing : Tupac - Keep Ya Head Up Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People : kathy-griffin-holds trumps severed-head-photo Black People Open Forum 10
R Black Poetry : LYNNHAVEN PARKWAY #1 Go to college then bed got knowledge in my head like EINSTEIN // drink wine and Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : head-of-police-chiefs-apologizes Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Bishop Black Poetry : From My Head To My Heart Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
serious brother Black Parenting : Tamir Rice, Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin and single head of household Black Parenting 20
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Lyrical master to the head just before night in bed Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Liberty Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Fashionable Turbans, Head Wraps, and Tutorials, Too! Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 14
Kemetstry Science and Technology : NEW HEAD OF MIT CheE Dept Science and Technology 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Forrest Gump is Nathan B. Forrest KKK head AACOOLDRE 1
skuderjaymes Black Entertainment : Head Hunters | Herbie Hancock | 1973 | Black Entertainment 6
CosmicMessenger Black Entertainment : Earth, Wind, and Fire - Keep Your Head To The Sky Black Entertainment 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : she no got head covered...... Black People Open Forum 3
coey30 Black Poetry : Big Heart vs. Little Head... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
CosmicMessenger Black Poetry : So Black, So Beautiful (another poem off the top of my head) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
RAPTOR Black People : Obama and His Head-Chopping Friends Black People Open Forum 0
A Black Sports : Do over head stadium lights contribute to athletes knee injuries? Black Sports 15
Fine1952 Law Forum : Gospel music drives North Carolina woman to ax stepfather in the head Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 9
Destee Single Black Mothers : Single Black Mothers - Don't Believe the Hype - Hold Your Head High! Black Women 17
Bishop Black Poetry : Revelation of Peace (Got My Head Back Together) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Kemetstry Black Positive People : La June Montgomery Tabron - SISTER NAMED HEAD OF KELLOGG FOUNDATION Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black People Politics : Jeh Johnson - BROTHER TO HEAD HOMELAND SECURITY Black People Politics 26
Alarm Clock Black People Politics : Why one percenter Pritzker as head of Commerce Department? Black People Politics 2
A Audio Video Web Conferencing : Beautiful black Princess by White head brothers nice song Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Allure ft. Nas - Head over heals Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Clyde C Coger Jr South Africa : South African elected first female AU Commission head South Africa 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Distant Human Ancestor Had Shark Head Science and Technology 317
Kemetstry Black People : Trouble In Alphaville? - Herman “Skip” Mason - Alpha Phi Alpha Head Man - Accused of Stealing? Black People Open Forum 98
thePreacher Black People : Zimmerman's Bloody Head Photo Black People Open Forum 14
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: Earth, Wind and Fire, Keep Your Head to the Sky Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Gbenga Akinyemi The Front Porch : ORI..THE CONCEPT OF ORI( THE SPIRIT HEAD) The Front Porch 2
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Tony Toni Tone - Lay Your Head On My Pillow Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Gap Band - Oops Upside Your Head (1980) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Avery Sunshine - All In My Head Music Video Audio Video Web Conferencing 0