Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
AIDS vaccine closer to reality
Researchers identify natural antibodies that are able to kill more than 90% of all strains of HIV
Thomas H. Maugh II / Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles -- An effective vaccine against the AIDS virus may have moved one step closer to reality, researchers said this week.

Federal researchers have identified a pair of naturally occurring antibodies that are able to kill more than 90 percent of all strains of the AIDS virus, a finding they say could lead to the development of new treatments for HIV infections and to the production of the first successful vaccine against the virus.

HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is notoriously mutable, changing the composition of proteins on its surface with ease to escape pressure from the immune system.

This enables it to continue infecting cells even after the appearance of antibodies targeting it -- and to avoid the relatively ineffective vaccines developed so far.

Hundreds of variants of the virus are now in circulation around the world and the identification of so-called broadly neutralizing antibodies that can block the bulk of them has been the holy grail of HIV researchers.

To date, however, the best antibodies -- immune system proteins that fight infections -- that researchers have found block only 30 percent to 40 percent of all HIV strains. The identification of antibodies that can block more than 90 percent of strains could lead to what some researchers are dubbing a renaissance in AIDS prevention and treatment.

The key to the new antibodies is that they bind to a site on the virus surface that rarely undergoes mutations.

"I am more optimistic about an AIDS vaccine at this point in time than I have been probably in the last 10 years," Dr. Gary Nabel of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told Reuters. He led the research reported Thursday in the online edition of the journal Science.

Researchers, who are already testing the antibodies in infected animals, hope that at the very least the antibodies would provide synergistic effects -- working better together so that the total effect is greater than the two combined -- when used in conjunction with antiviral drugs.

Researchers hope that incorporating synthetic chemicals that stimulate production of several different antibodies might provide nearly complete protection against HIV.

:em0200:

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist

Hundreds of variants of the virus are now in circulation around the world, and the identification of so-called broadly neutralizing antibodies that can block the bulk of them has been the holy grail of HIV researchers.

To date, however, the best antibodies — immune system proteins that fight infections — that researchers have found block only 30% to 40% of all HIV strains. The identification of antibodies that can block more than 90% of strains could lead to what some researchers are dubbing a renaissance in AIDS prevention and treatment.

The key to the new antibodies is that they bind to a site on the virus surface that rarely mutates.

"I am more optimistic about an AIDS vaccine at this point in time than I have been probably in the last 10 years," Dr. Gary Nabel of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told Reuters. He led the research reported Thursday in the online edition of the journal Science.

Nabel and his colleagues isolated the antibodies from the blood of a 60-year-old African American gay man. Using newly developed imaging and analytical techniques, they found that the two antibodies, called VRC01 and VRC02, bind to a spike on the surface of the virus. This spike interacts with a receptor called the CD4 binding site on the surface of human cells, and when an antibody binds to it, the virus cannot enter a cell.

Because the virus must use CD4 to enter cells, it cannot tolerate mutations in the spike. The composition of the spike is thus pretty much constant in all variants of HIV in circulation.

"The antibodies attach to a virtually unchanging part of the virus, and this explains why they can neutralize such an extraordinary range of HIV strains," Dr. John R. Mascola of the infectious diseases institute, a coauthor, said in a statement.

With the antibodies in hand, the team was able to determine precisely how the HIV spike and the antibodies interact. They were then able to produce a synthetic version of the spike that could elicit the production of similar blocking antibodies in animal cells.

They are now testing the synthetic spike as a possible vaccine in animals and hope to expand to human testing in the relatively near future. The antibodies can also be reproduced by biotechnology and used as a treatment for someone who is already infected.

Researchers, who are already testing the antibodies in infected animals, hope that at the very least the antibodies will provide synergistic effects when used in conjunction with antiviral drugs.

Other researchers, such as Dennis Burton of the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, have also discovered broadly neutralizing antibodies, although most of the discoveries have not yet been published. Fortuitously, Mascola has found, antibodies discovered by Burton block viral variants that are not blocked by the antibodies reported Thursday.

Researchers thus hope that incorporating synthetic chemicals that stimulate production of several different antibodies might provide nearly complete protection against HIV.

Full Speed

Sep 7, 2009
Brother, you need to get married so you can stop worrying about all this STD drama....I haven't worried about that kind of stuff in over 25 years. That is probably kinda selfish, but it is the only full proof way to keep a happy AND healthy WILLY. :SuN049:

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
I dont have that concern, yet. I just thought it was necessary info for those that need it.

Let's understand that the primary holders and at risk for this disease are still gays, dl brothers, IV drug users and those that insist on dating them.

In spite of what the media would like you to believe

Aru Uirisu

Jun 26, 2010
I dont have that concern, yet. I just thought it was necessary info for those that need it.

Let's understand that the primary holders and at risk for this disease are still gays, dl brothers, IV drug users and those that insist on dating them.

In spite of what the media would like you to believe

LOL, and don't forget about the men who are sent to jail too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HODEE Black People : 203 BLACKS GIVEN AIDS DRUG 199 CURED! THE VACCINE WORKED ON BLACKS / ASIANS SCRAPPED Black People Open Forum 1
A Black People : H. Pylori similar to HIV/AIDS Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : lee-daniels-wanted to get hiv-aids Black Entertainment 2
Liberty Black Positive People : Chance The Rapper Aids Effort to Bring 1,000 Coats to Homeless In Chicago Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Orisons Health and Wellness : Dr Sebi Can Cure AIDS and most serious ailments/what have you got to lose by trying? Black Health and Wellness 2
RAPTOR Black People : Dr Leonard Horowitz Emerging Viruses AIDS & Ebola Black People Open Forum 0
skuderjaymes Health and Wellness : The Black Gay Community has lost the Battle against HIV & AIDS. Black Health and Wellness 53
Moon Child Black People : AIDS like disease affecting ASIANS Black People Open Forum 0
legit-writer Black People : HIV/AIDS Drug Costs 'Not Affordable' Black People Open Forum 1
Nanany19 Black People : The Tuskegee Experiment, AIDS, and Genocidal Behavior Black People Open Forum 2
Khasm13 Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : The Origins of AIDS (Full Documentary) Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
A Black People : Can eating Pork lead to a weaken Immune System or AIDS? Black People Open Forum 11
ru2religious Black People : AIDS in Medicine? GO NATURAL HERBS - PLEASE!!! Black People Open Forum 1
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : AIDS:Hidden Crisis in Arab...Islamic Countries Omowale Jabali 26
A Scientists admit their failure in front of AIDS Black Health and Wellness 1
S AIDS:THE CURE IS.... Black Health and Wellness 5
S Black People : AIDS Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Black People : GOP aids Dept of Defense in right to Rape???? Black People Open Forum 2
KWABENA a.i.d.s. for AIDS Black Health and Wellness 6
Khasm13 Khasm13 : Doctors say marrow transplant may have cured AIDS Khasm13 12
T Black People : Afreekan Holocaust and AIDS Black People Open Forum 0
Mad Skillz Black People : In Africa, Bush Touts Record AIDS Relief, but Funding Restrictions Says Otherwise Black People Open Forum 1
P Blacks largest ethnic group with HIV/AIDS in Canada Black Health and Wellness 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : Tuskegee in Africa:Deadly U.S. Aids experiments Omowale Jabali 1
J Black People : MLK BOULVEVARD.....COCAINE/AIDS Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Pan Africanism : Mbeki Likens AIDS Scientists to Nazis African American History Culture 0
J Black People : Origin of AIDS? Black People Open Forum 4
I Black People : Africa and AIDS...Help! Black People Open Forum 9
G Black People : Immeditate Release-THE SILENT KILLER-HIV/AIDS Black People Open Forum 0
G Black People : THE LABORATORY CREATION OF HIV/AIDS-Orbit radio Interviews Dr. Boyd Graves Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : HIV, AIDS AND AFRICA: A CASE OF RACISM VS SCIENCE?? Black People Open Forum 0
G Black People : Aids HIVdistributed by Bayer-URGENT READ AND SEE. NO JOKE Black People Open Forum 3
S REAL TALK: The *HIV* / *AIDS* Thread [VIDEOS]... Black Health and Wellness 0
S Afrikan says ancestor reveals aids cure in dream Black Health and Wellness 1
R Black People : U.S. to allow AIDS lawsuit. Black People Open Forum 2
D Black People : Gqay white people first, black and hispanic last in AIDS funding Black People Open Forum 1
D Africa : African tribe stays virtually AIDS free All Things Africa 2
P Kenya : Kenya to provide free Aids drugs Kenya 0
P Black People : An AIDS weapon close to home? Black People Open Forum 1
I Black People : Biological Warfare, AIDS, Ebola and Apartheid Black People Open Forum 7
I Black People : Dr. Boyd Graves AIDS suit goes forward Black People Open Forum 17
M Black Spirituality Religion : Study aids for my brothers and sisters: Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
I Black People : AIDS: Made In America? Black People Open Forum 10
D Black Spirituality Religion : AIDS in Islamic Black Africa Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 7
PoeticManifesta Black People : SHOULD MEN COMING OUT OF JAIL BE SUBJECT TO HIV/AIDS TEST B4 ENTERING SOCIETY? Black People Open Forum 35
P South Africa : The impact of AIDS in India & South Africa! South Africa 46
river Do You Trust the AIDS Test? Black Health and Wellness 3
Blackbird Black People : HIV/AIDS and BLACK WOMEN Black People Open Forum 0
P Pan Africanism : Nelson Mandela's oldest son dies of AIDs African American History Culture 2
Y Africa : What can we do to stop the spread of aids in Africa? All Things Africa 37