Black People : AIDS hitting young black males in college

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by divinity, Feb 11, 2004.

1. divinity

divinity Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
  2. redlady

redlady Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i read this article and what bothers me the most, isn't the fact that there is such a high percentage of hiv among young black men...what bothers me is the amount of GAY young black men in college! what is going on here?

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Do you think the number of Black gay men in college has increased or is it that more are "coming out" and are no longer afraid to let themselves be known?

I don't want to presume that the increase of AIDS among Black males in college is necessarily due to homosexual behavior. They can contract the virus through a variety of means and not always because they are gay. Nevertheless it's distressing period that HIV/AIDS is ravaging the African American community more than any other--if you believe the data.

Peace :spinstar:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    From the article ...

"The concern is this is our best and brightest within the minority population who are coming down with a lifelong and potentially lethal infection,” Leone said.

I think we are doing ourselves more damage by slamming the door, locking the windows, and refusing to talk openly to each other and our children regarding this "sex act." That's all it is, sex! For whatever reasons, our children (and many adults) have decided that in order to experience an (ultimate?!) orgasm, they must put their lives at risk! Perhaps these young people want to talk about it, open up, share why they're doing this (the article said many are just experimenting, and don't consider themselves homosexuals), and the risks involved. Instead, because the majority of the African American community IMMEDIATELY condemns them, they aren't talking ... they're just doing. Homosexuality has not always been as prevalent as it is now. If we are to condemn these young people for the choices they are making, then we must also condemn ourselves, those of us who could be considered elders ... because somewhere, somehow, we didn't teach what needed to be taught. We failed to leave a line of communication open, so they could come out of the closets with these thoughts, so they could know that to have a thought, does not mean you must act on it. It's not just these babies that have failed to do the "right" thing.

:heart:

Destee

5. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I never quite believe what they are telling Us about US. If it is positive, I think that the truth is usually much better. If it is negative, I think the truth is usually not as bad.. or some things are just lies.

But, I think that We are letting Ourselves fall into divisive traps.
    We need to embrace Our Gay family. We are generally a spiritual people, who believe in the bible, well then doesn't the bible say "Love the sinner, but hate the sin?"
    Doesn't it say, "Judge ye not?"

I mean, with the exception of Black Republicans, Black Blue Bloods, Black Racists; I think that We should be about bringing all of Our people home.

I think that Blacks are coming out, more.... I think that maybe with AIDS more are getting tested... and again, call me crazy or just stupid if you want, but I am not convinced that some of this wasn't done intentionally... you can dimiss that statement if you want, but Bio-terrorism is real and how hard would it be to stick someone with a needle?
    I understand too, that in areas of high concentrations of Blacks that just like colds, when people are living on top of each other things spread easier and faster.

But in this ERA of demonizing Black Americans... wouldn't it be to Our advantage to bring as many of Ours home; instead of leaving them out in the cold, feeling alone, which can and does push some of them into doing careless and dangerous acts? If you feel that no one will love you, or that no one would want you because of any of the becauses... then you hide things, and do stupid and reckless things.

How many brothers and sisters out there killing and getting killed by bullets, because We are too afraid to say, here is a hug.... and have you watched some of them, being arrested and the blank look upon their faces ... masked in anger? Well, underneath that mask I see tears.

Rather We get along or not African-Americans need each other....there are too many of Us to keep letting those afraid of Our "True Power" divide and conquer.

6. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    I can understand what you're saying...we (elders) certainly do need to extend their/our hand out to the young. And if only ONE, reach back...then we're done a great thing.

7. Abyssinia

Abyssinia Member MEMBER

college student working on my B.A. in Graphic Desi
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in North Carolina and I remember hearing about this on the news. This is an epidemic and we need to take this by force through drastic measures. This isn't penetrating enough through the college students and other young adults minds.

I am as well a college student and I always observe how many of the other black young brothers and sisters carry themselves and their actions. Sexualty is waaaaay to rampid until it is a deep concern.

What ever happened to virginity and waiting until marriage? This is the safest and most successful way to decrease and even eliminate HIV and AIDS. As well as children being born out of wedlock.

It all comes down to the mentality. Once the metality and the outlook on life has been transformed and the subconscience mind awakened, then we would have a higher advantage in making better decisions.

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Greetings

Hi there Abyssinia and welcome! What you write makes sense for the most part but this issue is not always as it's made to appear because with the onslaught of these outrageous statistics about HIV/AIDS and Africans in the Diaspora, I think we need to seriously question the validity of the data, along with the methods being reported as the most obvious ways to contract this deadly virus.

I'm not trying to defend what some might define as promiscuous sexual behavior but really, do you sometimes ever wonder whether African Americans/Africans have more multiple sexual partners or engage in more "unprotected" sex than people from different racial/ethnic cultures?

We all know that a certain percentage of virus is contracted through other means, i.e., intravenous drug user and blood transfusions, but people always want to equate the more popular way of getting the virus through unprotected sex with "high risk" people. Who are these "high risk" individuals?

I don't know. I have no proof, only suspicions. But I'm leaning more and more toward the idea that this is not a natural disaster but something that was planned. I'm starting to question whether the public really knows all the different ways this disease is being transmitted throughout the population. I refuse to believe that we're more sexual and greater risk takers than people of any other race or culture. That's simply not true. So why then are we allegedly suffering more with this virus?

We have to balance our approach to these serious social issues and start looking at the causes and not just the effects. Stop always blaming the victim and seldom the perpetrator. Stop looking at this as a Black person's problem and never a social issue. Black people are just living and breathing and having sex just like everyone else, but maybe the difference is that we always seem to accept the yoke around our neck and rarely fight the system that puts it there.

Peace :spinstar:

9. Abyssinia

Abyssinia Member MEMBER

college student working on my B.A. in Graphic Desi
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello NNQueen,

It is true. The HIV/AIDS epidemic was 100% planned. I personally believe that this plan was to destroy our black race nationally, world-wide, and to take over Africa. My opinions were mostly focused on the young African-Americans though; because I believe the images that are being displayed over here in America possibly helps promote promiscuity. It is true that AIDS is passed on in a variety of ways, especially in countries that are not first world, which is sad, because this gives us even more of the reason that this epidemic was planned to destroy. And I would not be surprised if there is already a cure out there that someone is keeping silent.

Sex is a part of nature and the substance of life to all living creatures. I am very aware that this is not only a black problem...yet then again, this was a problem most likely that was created (in my opinion) to destroy the black race. Many others believed that it was meant for our race to suffer the most with this disease, which isn't fair. And AIDS is only one of the many ways to destroy our people. I focus on the perpetrator as well, because we need to know who or what is the source of all of this. But I am also aware that their objective is not to fix the problem that they have created, because they are the ones who created this problem for a specific reason. Most likely, they will even deny it to avoid the problem.

One of the first things that I believe that we must do is make it known to the highest degree that this was purposely planned and that this plan has a source. Then we must work towards stopping this epidemic. The perpetrator does not plan to stop it. So we must force them to stop it and as well as look towards ourselves to stop this. We can fight the system. We must fight the system that put it out there. But what do we do with the ones (mainly speaking on the behalf of African-Americans) who has "casual sex" and multiple sex partners, unprotected sex, bisexual activity, etc. that only makes this virus to continue to grow so rapid? Sadly, the many others who have contracted this disease, not by any sexual manner, they are being drawn in as well and this only increases the numbers.

I do have an open mind, but many African-Americans are now aware of HIV/AIDS and methods of protection, awareness seminars, etc. But what do we see on the TV, magazines, music, even BET? All races engage in sex, I don’t believe that we are more promiscuous, but the plan was to destroy us, not them.

I believe that we are a special race and many believe that we are better of being eliminated. We all should be aware of that, which is true. Then it all comes down for all of the rest of us to become aware of this and realize how serious this is. Now, on the other hand, I don’t classify Africans in this category, because I know that many of these facts does not even apply to them, many may not have even heard of this disease. So, how can we as black people specifically put an end to this epidemic nationally and world-wide that has been placed on us?

10. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    The last poster left me perplexed and confused?

Yes, I would hazard a guess and believe that most if not all of US are aware of the disease of AIDS and ways to protect Ourselves... but the epidemic is on the one hand one in which people don't want to think about and that in and of itself leads to one not taking the necessary precautions; because to do that would make it REAL--and WE are a people who have historically had to make UNREAL the REAL in order to survive.

Yes, I do believe that some AIDS cases were in fact done on purpose-- I have heard too many people say that they do not know how they contracted it--- they are not ones who have many sexual partners; not ones who do drugs; etc etc.... but all of them, at one time or another did go to an emergency room (poor, usually, for treatment), or have been in charity hospitals (research hospitals)...so this is what leads me to think of the Tuskegee Experiments over and over again!

Then the poster stated that Most Africans have not even heard of the disease and this leads me to question the thought processes of the poster as to what is his/her agenda. How can one in Africa not have heard of the disease that has ravaged most of the continent? How can they have not heard of it, when there are Townships where upwards of 60% of the children living within are orphaned by parent's who have died from this disease? Nigeria is now feeling the effects...and a couple of years ago, it was there that the epidemic was small because "We did not allow immunization here from the West..." That very statement freaked me out, and made me believe that something might very well be afoot here.

The poster also stated something as to African-Americans and casual sex....well, I won't even get into that, but I do not believe that We have casual sex as much as other cultures...hell, even if you let yourself look to Ricki Lake and Maury Povich as truth...no one could come to that conclusions...

Sounds like the poster is operating under the assumption of racist myths.

My opinions on stemming the disease: Prayer to God for guidance/ truth

1. Bring all Our African-American family into the fold.
    2. Educate Ourselves on the disease and get tested.
    3. Guarantee that We will try not to ostracize Our people; Gays, HIV positives, poor...
    4. Support reputable research....We have enough AA Doctors etc...to be at the helm of such.
    5. Retool Our Kids and each other on how to "fight" all that ails us....
    Racism (like those in my age were taught--well most of US); Love, Our Bodies
    (Our Temples), Respect of self and others...