Black People : Against The Thread Celebrating Dark Black People

panafrica said:
I have always believed that the diversity of the complexions which black people possess (a diversity which is evident by looking at our people in Africa and throughout the African Diaspora) should be appreciated. However of those complexions which range from light brown to mahogany to ebon night, it has always been the darkest which is commonly disparaged or only appreciated as being "exotic". Therefore I can fully appreciate the need to celebrate dark black people as the beautiful beings they are. That being said however, I can't help but notice a considerable number of people being listed (celebrated) here don't seem to appreciate their own blackness. We should celebrate dark black people and we should also celebrate black love, so dark black people will continue to be around to be celebrated.

Morning Pan:coffee:

Hello Family,

It seems some Members take issue (not all that have posted, or had their posts moved here) with the thread i started that lifts up, encourages, and CELEBRATES DARK BLACK PEOPLE.

You're all certainly entitled to your opinions, but i'm asking you, as i have all others, to hold your discussion here, and leave that thread for its intended purpose ... CELEBRATING DARK BLACK PEOPLE.

If you have a DARK BLACK PERSON you'd like mentioned in it, please do that ... but keep the discussion over here.

Thank you.

:heart:

Destee

aglo said:
Hello Sista Karma,

I've noticed a few posts here with similar sentiment. I'm confused. Would you please point out to me where anyone supporting this thread has made a statement/implication downing lighter-skinned Black folk?

I find this thread positive and educational. It has even inspired me to do a few hours of research on OUR history/current events.

Not that it really matters, but I am what is considered lighter-skinned. I don't take offense to this thread at all, because I am confident and in love with myself. I don't feel threatened by the family celebrating some of our own (most of whom are/were confident and in love with themselves, too), even if some of them are considered lost sheep.

Peace Sista Spicy,

True, some of those highlighted here in our opinions may not embrace their own Blackness. Could be because it isn't?/wasn't celebrate/d enough throughout their experiences. In any case, I don't think that was the point of Sista Destee initiating this topic. She can better explain herself, I'm sure.

Peace, Fam.

-Aglo

Why would anyone feel threatened at anyone celebrating ALL ASPECTS of their own, including those with dark skin? Are certain people less apt to do things because of lifestyle choices? Is that what is being implied? As far as I'm concerned, I said what I needed to say as respectfully and clearly as I could without directly or indirectly offending anyone... being PC, if such a term is 'appropriate' enough.

Those who read what I say will know quite plainly, that I mean to say don't ostracize everyone. Those who have seen me post before should know why I have to keep reinterating certain things to 'prove' I'm black enough to be included in discussion.

There are those here who have definitions of blackness that do not encompass certain folk that consider themselves black... these persons can often have an appearance of someone that is light. If I have to be more specific, then I will have to say biracials or those mulatto. I'm trying to be respectful of those participating in the board who are of these heritages because I know many of them (along with those not of these heritages), will consider themselves black.

Shikamoo (Good Morning):

As a dark, young black brother here, I don't take it that serious. Not to mention, I wouldn't have a problem if Destee made a thread celebrating Light-skinned Black folks! Don't we have bigger things to worry about? We have a wall of White Supremacy to take down, and we are fighting over skin tone. NOT a move toward Black progress. BTW, I don't think when Destee made that thread on Celebrating Dark Black People, she was insulting Light Black people at all. She was just simply Celebrating Dark Black People, nothing else.

I mean when I look a it, it is no different than Celebrating Musicians of the North. To me, that is in NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM disrespecting Musicians of the South or West. It is just simply Celebrating Musicians of the North.

"Be ye slow to anger!" LOL!

CD

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back