Jails / Prisons : Again?! DNA Clears Texas Black Man Who Spent 30 Years In Prison

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Chinelo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Oh boy.......smh.....:10500:

This is like the 10th black man within the last year cleared after falsely wasting decades of his life away in the Amerikkkan Injustice System.....i mean seriously now.....there's got to be literally thousands upon thousands of innocent black men wasting away in prison right this very second.....smh.....here's the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_on_re_us/us_dna_exoneration

[​IMG]

DALLAS – Prosecutors declared a Texas man innocent Monday of a rape and robbery that put him in prison for 30 years, more than any other DNA exoneree in Texas.

DNA test results that came back barely a week after Cornelius Dupree Jr. was paroled in July excluded him as the person who attacked a Dallas woman in 1979, prosecutors said Monday. Dupree was just 20 when he was sentenced to 75 years in prison in 1980.

Now 51, he has spent more time wrongly imprisoned than any DNA exoneree in Texas, which has freed 41 wrongly convicted inmates through DNA since 2001 — more than any other state.

"Our Conviction Integrity Unit thoroughly reinvestigated this case, tested the biological evidence and based on the results, concluded Cornelius Dupree did not commit this crime," Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins said.

Dupree is expected to have his aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon conviction overturned Tuesday at an exoneration hearing in a Dallas court.

There have been 21 DNA exonerations in Dallas since 2001, more than any other county in the nation. Only two states — Illinois and New York — have freed more of the wrongly convicted through DNA evidence, according to the Innocence Project, a New York-based legal center representing Dupree that specializes in wrongful conviction cases.

Dallas' record of DNA exonerations is unmatched nationally because the county crime lab maintains biological evidence even decades after a conviction, leaving samples available to test. In addition, Watkins has cooperated with innocence groups in reviewing hundreds of requests by inmates for DNA testing. Watkins, the first black DA in Texas history, has also pointed to what he calls "a convict-at-all-costs mentality" that he says permeated the DA's office before he arrived in 2007.

Dupree's 30 years in prison will surpass James Woodard, who spent more than 27 years in a Texas prison for a murder that he was cleared of in 2008.

Nationally, there are at least two other DNA exonerees who spent more time in prison, according to the Innocence Project. James Bain was wrongly imprisoned for 35 years in Florida and Lawrence McKinney spent more than 31 years in a Tennessee prison. Phillip Bivens was locked up for more than 30 years in Mississippi, but it wasn't immediately clear whether he or Dupree were in longer.

The DNA testing in Dupree's case also excluded a second defendant, Anthony Massingill, who was subsequently convicted in another sexual assault case and sentenced to life in prison. Massingill remains in prison but maintains his innocence. DNA testing in that second case is ongoing.

Dupree was charged in 1979 with raping and robbing a 26-year-old woman and sentenced in 1980 to 75 years in prison for aggravated robbery. He was never tried on the rape charge.

According to court documents, the woman and her male companion stopped at a Dallas liquor store in November 1979 to buy cigarettes and use a payphone. As they returned to their car, two men, at least one of whom was armed, forced their way into the vehicle and ordered them to drive. They also demanded money from the two victims.

The men eventually ordered the car to the side of the road and forced the male driver out of the car. The woman attempted to flee but was pulled back inside.

The perpetrators drove the woman to a nearby park, where they raped her at gunpoint. They debated killing her but eventually let her live, keeping her rabbit-fur coat and her driver's license and warning her they would kill her if she reported the assault to police. The victim ran to the nearest highway and collapsed unconscious by the side of the road, where she was discovered.

About five days later, two men whose descriptions did not match Dupree tried to sell the rabbit-fur coat at a grocery store two miles from the liquor store, according to court documents. The car stolen from the victims was found abandoned in the parking lot.

Dupree and Massingill were arrested in December because they looked similar to two suspects being sought in another sexual assault and robbery. The 26-year-old woman picked both men out of a photo array, but her male companion did not identify either defendant in the same photo array.

Dupree was convicted and spent the next three decades appealing. The Court of Criminal Appeals turned him down three times.

The Innocence Project, which took on his case in 2006, obtained DNA testing last summer on biological evidence taken from a vaginal swab. In July, shortly after Dupree's release, the test results cleared Dupree and Massingill.

The hearing is happening now because authorities needed additional testing to confirm that the 30-year-old biological material was a DNA match to the victim.

MA'AT

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The courts always say, "Well we didn't have the technology back then as we do now for DNA"...smh whateverrrrrr

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Thanks Bro. for sharing this positive info about my home town which reminds me of our early days of black activism, rallies, marches against Klan gatherings, etc...over against overt racism, police brutality, etc...not to mention Dallas being the site of Kennedy's death; and please don't conclude any love for the Irishman here...Peace In, Chinelo.

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    A knife sharpened to slice a cabbage can also be used to stab you through the
    Heart. Once we accept dna evidence as unassailable then it becomes yet
    Another weapon to be used against us. DNA evidence can be planted just like
    any other evidence. And once it is used against you, it's a wrap, you have no
    Way of getting out. And I say that because, these stories are always presented
    Like their is no bad guy.. Like these convictions are accidents, when the truth
    Is that Texas routinely railroads black folks to prison and to death.. And they
    Do it with impunity. Where arevthe charges against the folks locking our
    people away? There are none.. There can never be any.. And that's why it
    Will always continue to happen.. For every person released with DNA evidence
    How many hundreds or thousands of wrongfully arrested and convicted black
    People take there place? The whole world knows about the justice system in Texas,
    But what has been done about it? Nothing. Texas has executed more people
    than all of the other states combined.. And it's not hard to imagine how many of those
    People killed were innocent.

5. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Exellent point.

I don't think the statement you made too, about the DNA test also being exploited can be over-rated. this system gets a kick out of exploiting everything that they think they can convince Black people to rely upon.

I just recently saw a movie, i think it is called, American Violet, starring Alfre Woodard and a new actress, portraying a true story about Blacks being exploited in Texas. And it rings so many bells for me regarding this thread and what you say about texas and American system as a whole. I used to live in a little small town in texas where there is a traditional, 'cross the track' community of us Blacks and I've lived so much truths brought out about this injustice system in that little town in texas. I also believe too, that the Black presence and Black power structure in texas is impressive! I have some fond memories as well.

6. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    hey, my people are from a tiny town in west texas.. my cousin got 48 years
    for statutory rape.. his girlfriend was underage.. and white.. 48 years?
    that's his whole life.. they wouldn't even let him out for his mama's
    funeral..

7. Light

Light Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    I believe they do this stuff to people that stand up for themselves or otherz...

In my opinion you should not trust any thing you have not studied....

Basically it workz like this.....

Say that i want to kill a certain type of fish .....

So I create some technology to kill the fish .....

But really and secretly the technology is just a shiny box with a label on it and every one believes it is some super technology but really it is just a shiny box....

But no one knows so my WORDZ BECOME GOD!!!!!!!

And every one believes in my tool because it is technology.... right????

Know look around your home and while your driving and notice all the technology that you might not have a clue about or if it is real or fake......

But ... But ... But....

The WORLD USES IT TO DETERMINE YOUR FATE!!!!!

I thought about that one time when I was working at a airport and they had this sniffer device being used to determine stuff....

Cell Phonez

Televisions screenz.... I mean laptopz lol

GPS devices .... oppz I mean laptopz lol

Recording devices .... oppz I mean laptoz lol

A+ MCSE......

Much love and light.....

8. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    This is a travesty. So many people are wrongfully convicted of crimes. I am glad that our District Attorney Craig Watkins is trying to do something but it is almost too little too late. There are plenty of people behind bars that simply did not commit the crime. What can you tell a person that has been robbed of their youth by being wrongfully incarcerated? Sorry? My bad? Oops? We didn't have the technology then that we do now? There are really no words or monetary value that can be placed on time lost. Let me hop off my soap box because this issue gets me heated, especially since I live in Dallas and see the efforts D.A. Craig Watkins opponents have made to silence him and his team.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

.......Preach Black African Woman, Preach:)

10. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! :)