Black Women : After Having A Baby ...

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Destee, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

A young Sister that i know just had a baby and she brought her over for me to see today. The baby is simply a living doll! Such a sweet sweet baby, she almost had to tear her out of my arms!

Anyway ... she just had the baby ... a few days ago!

As i sat and visited with her, i remembered back to the births of my children, and thought on how my Mother insisted that i stay inside, with the baby, for a certain amount of time ... a very prolonged time it seemed ... before going out.

It seemed to be a health precaution for both the baby and myself, as though we were both more vulnerable immediately after the birth.

This young Sister was leaving here, going to her Sister's office, so that everyone there could see the baby too. I kinda fussed a little, in a very gentle way, telling her not to let folk breathe and kiss all over the baby.

Do women still do this, or was it just my Momma that felt this way?

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i'm no sista and i didn't push a child out but i can say this the
    way younger parents are today fast and quick to go out with the
    newborn back in the days mother's didn't floss out as quick and
    stayed in to allow the body to heal and the child to also ajust and
    become closer with mom, Mothers back then didn't allow no one
    to handle and kiss and breathe over the baby it was a protective
    precaution flag so the newborn wouldn't catch any flying germs

As our teens become young ladies they even forgot or was never
    told how dear they are and so easy to be infected by germs and
    even get wind collie out in the naked air , if you can remember back
    then you have a baby and go home in a few days but today they (Hospitals )
    push them out the next day .

Older Mother have to try and teach and make our young mother's
    understand the danger of going out too fast and exposing the child
    as well .

just learn a little something from my mom and as a Dad the values
    of a newborn child.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Many African cultures require that children not be taken outside or presented publically for a certain amount of time. Once this time passes the baby is officially presented to the community during a special ceremony/party. I don't think your mother was alone Destee, many women in the black community did this, and taught their daughters the same. I think it is an aspect of our African heritage that was carried down.

4. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well

I had to stay in with all 50leven of my children for about fourty days and fourty nights I believe...lol so no, your mother was not alone because my mother and grandmothers believed the same thing it they passed that to me. I'm preparing for my lock down in April. I may not be able to get out but thank the Lord I can still surf.....the net that is..lol

5. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Here at the hospital I work at there are times when there are as many as 15 friends and family members in the room watching the baby come into the world. I guess these women/girls do not see any difference between the delivery room and the outside world.

A few ladies on my bowling league have been bringing their newborns down to the lanes as young as one month old. Funny thing is how their kids are always sick.

Personally I didn't take my daughter out of the house until she had a 6 weeks check up. She pretty much stayed around me or my grandmother until she was 1. But I see times and trends are changing.

6. soulfulmixx

soulfulmixx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    no sista Destee u are not alone and your mother was correct --knowlegable informed mommies still do this..
    .. ok ill just say professionally speaking.. a newborns immune system is highy fragile.. taking the baby outside frequenty and having many people constantly hovering over the baby isnt good for their little immune system.. yes newborns carries some of there mommies antibodys-- but thats in general, one doesn't kno what another person has and they could be handling the baby!.. But sista carrie was correct is waiting til atleast 6 weeks.. now yes baby may indeed have to go out with either parent at sometime during that 1st 6 weeks.. so one must make sure the baby is covered throughly and outside activities should be kept to a minimum..
    besides i was born to a teenage mother.. who constantly had me outside and not wrapped properly plus had many people around me.. and i almost died twice as a newborn of pnemonia..
    peace

7. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well soulfulmixx if your response doesn't make the dangers of exposing a newborn to all types of germs, I don't know what will. When I was a young mother, it was suggested that I keep my babies inside and away from folks as much as possible, and it was good advice.

8. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Not only do I believe in the safety of the newborn, but I have taught my daughter to never touch a new baby until he/she has gotten her shots (3-4 months).

9. soulfulmixx

soulfulmixx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    yes its a deep serious matter... i hope i helped someone in knowing the importance of taking precautions esp. with the newborn..

peace to all of u

soulfulmixx:hearts4:

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Indeed your story is something for everyone with newborns to consider. Thank you for sharing sister Soulfulmixx!