Black History Culture : Afrocentrism and Islam

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Omowale Jabali, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Islam and the African People

The following is an article which speaks concerning the viewpoints of several 'Afrocentric' authors (a few of my personal favorites) who have been rather critical in viewing Islam as "something 'outside' of the African experience."

The article also speaks concerning a few individuals, some who are noted Pan-Africanists, who speak less critically concerning Islam and it's role in African society and culture.

My concern is not so much with whose assessment is right or wrong. It is more of a matter concerning whether these differences can be bridged in the advancement of African Unification and Liberation.

2. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32

In my opinion, no. It is like how some Diasporan and Continental African Christians do all they can to serve Europeans. These Islamicized Africans do all they can to serve Arabs. You cannot serve 2 masters. Once you take on someone else's god, those people become your god, plain and simple. I have yet to see a Christian or Muslim Pan-Africanist (if there is such a thing) with the African at the center of any progressive thoughts. They are always seeking for approval or validation from their oppressors with every step they take.

3. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

What about the following:

Kwame Nkrumah-Christian
    Sekou Toure-Muslim
    Cheikh Anta Diop-Muslim

???

4. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32

These are all great contributors to Pan-Africanism and the collective conscience of Africans, and I am not trying to take anything away from them. I am only saying that at the end of the day, it is impossible to sit soundly in African consciousness and worship a foreign people's image or ideology of God.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks for your response!

6. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153
    See my entry here: http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41989&page=14.

7. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153

GOD is GOD. There is only ONE. Islam, Christianity and Judaism originates in Africa. These are all African religions who worship the exact Same, One and Only GOD. (http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41989&page=14)

This is why Islam is such a unifying force in Africa. Islam is very strictly monotheistic. Some of the other religions allow themselves to become confused on this issue of Unity of GOD. Some talk about "trinities" and such. This confuses Africans. This is why there is so much conflict among non-Muslims in Africa. They seem to think that there is "their god" and "our God". Well, wake up, Africans. There is Only One GOD.